Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Smile fresh water tank breaks away

Hi everyone, this is a new one for me. I have a Cedar Creek Silverback L33 New in July 2010. I filled the fresh water tank for the first time yesterday. In the past I only put in 10 to 15 gal. When my tank got full, it broke away from the under carriage and came to rest on the rear axle. I have never seen anything like this in all my years of 5rv trips. So I can't tow it in to repair, and would you believe Forrest River says the warranty is out already. I used a jack to raise it back up and cargo straps to hold it in place until I get in for repair. Has any of you 5rvs experienced anything like this? I would like to know. Wayne keep on smiling,...
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Have not myself, but read of it happening to more than just you. Too bad you didn't happen to fill it while under warranty.
I imagine the tank spread the support angles as it filled and dropped down between them. If it is on the axle, you should be able to get it back up without too much trouble to take to a shop. Needs some sort of support underneath it, not just at the edges--many of them are sitting on angle iron straps that are pretty flimsy.
We have a 100 gal tank and travel with it full lots of time and no problem.
Good luck,
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your wows. I am new to RVing so I do not have the experience to know if that has happened to others. My 50 gallon water tank literally sits on the floor in the cargo bay and is strapped to the floor. There is no way for the tank could ever fall away from the rig as it is not underneath. I wonder why Cedar Creek would try and suspend a tank that eventually could weigh heavy when full. Your capacity may not be 50 gallons, mine is and weights 450 lbs. full. What is the total gal capacity? I wonder if you could somehow build a platform base under it and attach it to your rig somehow to get away from a strap situation? I hope you can get it repaired soon and I do hope it will be an affordable fix for you. Good Luck with it.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

I had this problem with my last 5er. The cause were weak belly bands that hold the tank in position. Luckily mine was still under warranty when discovered. To fix, the dealer dropped the under belly and put in heavier duty steel belly bands...problem solved.

Tags
tank, water