Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2006, 03:42 AM   #1

Should I be concearned that over time, it seems like my front legs on my 5'er are creeping down? I'd say over a 3 week period the nose settles an inch or two. I don't think it's pushing into the ground. Right now I have it sitting on some 2X12X12 planks of wood. Sure, they are going to settle in some, but not that much.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2006, 03:42 AM   #2

Should I be concearned that over time, it seems like my front legs on my 5'er are creeping down? I'd say over a 3 week period the nose settles an inch or two. I don't think it's pushing into the ground. Right now I have it sitting on some 2X12X12 planks of wood. Sure, they are going to settle in some, but not that much.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
All I can say is that mine has not moved in several months, still sitting right where I left it last fall. I think you have something flakey going on or somebody is playing tricks on you.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #4

Nobody's messing with it. I'm thinking the motor or gear drive is weak and is letting it slip down a bit.

Anyone ever have to replace a gear drive/motor on thier jacks?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #5

I have removed one of my legs to replace a broken sheer pin. To get the motor off so I could access the screw mechanism was a job as the motor was hard up against the roof of the basement. I had to jack the trailer to get the leg up. Then loosen the control wires, then the mounting bolts, before I removed the cover plates in the floor adjacent to the leg. When it was lowered enough to get access to the motor mounting screws I backed them out and removed the motor. Now it was possible to drop the leg out of the rig so I could disassemble it to obtain access to the sheared pin. The work is not difficult but it is time consuming.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #6

If you have Hydraulic lift legs then I think it is possible that the seals could be leaking a bit., If you have gear driven legs the possilbilty of the legs shortening.. (collapsing) with in them selves is very un likley as it takes a bit of horse power to move them in as well as out.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:00 AM   #7

I have a gear drive unit. No hydrolics. It has a motor that looks similar to a windshield wiper motor.

If I take this motor off, the legs will colapse, right?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
I have a gear drive unit. No hydrolics. It has a motor that looks similar to a windshield wiper motor.

If I take this motor off, the legs will colapse, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't think so. The motor/gear unit just replaces the hand crank from the back side and it will stay put just fine without the motor/gear unit installed.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:36 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
My previous trailer did not come with the motor drive, only the hand crank. It stayed put just fine. Even when the wife stripped one of the gears the leg would not move. We had to use a jack to raise the front of the trailer to get the leg off to repair it.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #10

Charliez, we're fulltimers and our legs do not creep by themselves though at times I think they have. Take a felt tip pin or paint and mark your legs. Where we are now, I noticed the other day, the bubble showed we were low in the nose. Yet because of the markings on the legs I could see they hadn't moved and the boards looked ok that they were sitting on. Just one of those things.
I put new legs on ours a year ago and there is no way that I can see that they are going to creep. Even stripping a gear will not let them move. They are quite fool-proof so that we can't
screw them up.
Happy Trails
Peaceful
Old 02-22-2006, 08:14 AM   #11

I think I'm going to do this, this weekend.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #12

If you don't see anything wrong with your leg mechanisim consider you may king pin framing problems. On mine the steel framing was cracked and one brace was broken causing sag when I connected to the king pin. When the front cap was off I noticed all the bracing for both the front leg supports and the king pin support were all innerconnected. You may see it when you connect and put weight on the king pin, you may see it actually move. In my case I did not see it but when the dealer checked it with a tripod it moved a good 1.5 inches. You may also see movement in the front cap or skin moving as you connect.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #13

Coastal Campers
Mechinical landing gear have a long screw inside each leg connected to a bevwl gear/gears.. Don't see how it could "unscrew" itself
Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Measure the distance from the top of the legs to the bottom then come back in a week and see if it changed. This will tell you if it's the legs collapsing or if something else is going on.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote