Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #29

My wife and I Just purchased a sprinter 359fwmpr, we had a Laredo 265LR previously. We really like the floor plan, we have taken it out already this winter and it works well for us. The steps that go to the LR are wide and not that steep so that really isn't an issue. If it is then maybe you shouldn't get any kind of trailer, they all have steps. I'm not sure what it is going to be like in the summer, but it has 2 A/C units so I don't think it will be a factor. Also if we decide to have company they have a place to stay with their own rest room. I pull it with a 2006 Chevy 2500HD, pin weight is 2300lb dry. Runs down the road just fine.
CCRK MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
I think that's the Aspen model by Keystone. We didn't like that as well although it did have more outside storage which you generally give up with the FL.
I think you meant the Alpine!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love the front living as well. The only drawback I think is the bedrooms seem too cramped, especially in the Solitude 379fl!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:06 AM   #32

forest river cardinal 2835FL. it has a front living room and we like it. we bought it for a reason that won't apply to most people, but it is an issue for me. I am 6'7" tall. we looked at many models at an rv show and I climbed up the outside stairs and immediately made a right turn up the inside stairs to go into the front bedrooms. in every case there was a door at the top of the stairs that was a major head bumper for me. our front living room model is completely open at the top of the internal stairs. plus the ceiling even in the front living room is a couple of inches higher than I am. I can stand erect up there. what a great feeling. the other thing we like about this model is that it has two exterior doors. if we are out side and want to get to the bedroom or bathroom we use the rear door. kitchen is the from door. it eliminates that long walk down a narrow hall feeling. of course to each his own.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #33

Our just completed search came down to a choice between the Montana Front Living Room and the Montana Front Kitchen.

I really like the FL, and I'm tall at 6'2". the ceiling height was great. The only drawback was the my wife really enjoys cooking, (that in itself is not a drawback), and she felt isolated as she could not see up over the railing to whatever was going on in the living room.

We decided on the front kitchen, which allows her to cook and still be part of the conversations, and we have never regretted our decision.
Pete Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #34

We too are looking for a FL 5'r for F/T. We are stuck between the Keystone Alpine 3661FL, Starcraft Solstice376FL5 and the Big Horn 3750FL. All three have the additional storage under a raised bedroom. I am not concerned with the few steps up and down to the bedroom or the living room. I am more concerned with the storage space. The kitchen in the Alpine is larger due to it being a 6 slide out vrs. the 5 slide out of the Solstice. The Big Horn does not have a raised bedroom but has a door on the left side to access the storage under the bed albeit, that is not too big of a storage area.
I'll be getting a good 350, or 3500 HD dully to pull it as well.
Anyone have either the Alpine FL or the Solstice FL for advice?
HackEagle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #35

I am also doing research for a purchase in a few years at retirement. After a couple of years of research already I would be wary of the Alpine simply because it is made by Keystone and that is the company I seem to read the worst reviews about when it comes to quality and workmanship. They look great and like a good value for the money but looks may be deceiving.

So far the FL my wife and I have fallen in love with is the Forest River Cardinal3825FL. Absolutely beautiful.

Because I love the idea of 8,000 lb vs normal 7,000 lb axles and 17.5" wheels / tires vs the normal 16" I am hoping that by the time I am ready to buy in a few years the Forest River Cedar Creek Champagne Edition has a front living floor plan.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
I would be wary of the Alpine simply because it is made by Keystone and that is the company I seem to read the worst reviews about when it comes to quality and workmanship.
Keep in mind Keystone sells the most RVs so it's only logical that you will hear the most complaints. And I don't mention this so much to defend Keystone but to make you realize every manufacturer turns out problem units. Unfortunately, RVs at any price point and kind of a roll of the dice.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Keep in mind Keystone sells the most RVs so it's only logical that you will hear the most complaints. And I don't mention this so much to defend Keystone but to make you realize every manufacturer turns out problem units. Unfortunately, RVs at any price point and kind of a roll of the dice.
Spot on.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:02 AM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
2015 2500 Ram diesel

We're thinking of getting a new Montana 3730 FL. The hitch weight is 2670#, dry weight 13,170#. The specs on the Ram are total towing 17,020# so that should be ok. It's the payload spec that concerns me....it shows 2190# payload. I'm concerned that the hitch weight of the Montana may be too much for my Ram. Am I confused by hitch weight and payload?
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 AM   #39

You're Ram is a SRW model from the listed payload capacity? I'm not a Ram owner, but looked up the current models where a 2500 SLT regular cab 4x2 SRW model has a rated capacity of 2990#.

At any rate, based on what you've posted, you would be overloading and you haven't taken into account passenger, fuel, or other weights.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #40

Sounds like you have a Ram 2500 CTD CC LB/SB 4x4. Two ways to go with this. It's either too pin heavy from the 2190 lb standpoint or it's fine if you use the RAWR.
I have the same CCC as you @2176 lbs. Me personally I'd never tow it. That 2670 lbs will be 2850 lbs with propane a batteries. Add some camp gear to the front and you'll be pushing 3000+ lbs for the pin. That IMO is too close to the RAWR especially after adding 150-175 lbs for a 5th hitch.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
We're thinking of getting a new Montana 3730 FL. The hitch weight is 2670#, dry weight 13,170#. The specs on the Ram are total towing 17,020# so that should be ok. It's the payload spec that concerns me....it shows 2190# payload. I'm concerned that the hitch weight of the Montana may be too much for my Ram. Am I confused by hitch weight and payload?
Thanks
Bill

Just an update. I was up all night worrying about the deal. It was one of those heart/mind things for me. My mind told me that it is stupid at my "old" age (69) to take on a new rig but my heart said damn I love that Montana!! So with the worry about the truck not being able to handle the added weight and the worry of taking on that much expense, I VERY reluctantly backed out of the deal. I was so close. Yesterday we told the dealer we would take the Montana and if the finance guy hadn't been busy, I'd have signed the papers right then. But I guess a little buyers remorse set in, plus the worry about the truck so now the deal is off. Damn, I love that Montana!!!
Bill
Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
Just an update. I was up all night worrying about the deal. It was one of those heart/mind things for me. My mind told me that it is stupid at my "old" age (69) to take on a new rig but my heart said damn I love that Montana!! So with the worry about the truck not being able to handle the added weight and the worry of taking on that much expense, I VERY reluctantly backed out of the deal. I was so close. Yesterday we told the dealer we would take the Montana and if the finance guy hadn't been busy, I'd have signed the papers right then. But I guess a little buyers remorse set in, plus the worry about the truck so now the deal is off. Damn, I love that Montana!!!
Bill
That is a great floorplan and the one Keystone I am considering. Actually I think the one I like is the 3731 (I think the only difference is it has a residential fridge).

I do think you are smart not to overload your truck though and risk the safety of you and your family.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel