Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Front living room

We have looked at a lot of 5ers so far, and I really like the front living room. It seems like a cozy place to rest and watch tv. I especially like the Montana with the recliners facing the tv right at the top of the stairs. Not so sure I like the back bedroom though. Anyone who has a front LR have any comments about what they like or dislike about them.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

We looked at several floor plans before buying our Open Range 386FLR and we like it very much. The LR is indeed a cozy place, especially with the five slide-outs, built-in sound system and the hideaway TV. From the man's perspective, and seeing as we were full-timing, I loved having the added storage space under the raised rear bedroom. We're selling it now that we're finished travelling but it was just what we wanted while we were on the road. (Other's mileage may vary. ;-)
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

We really liked the rear bedroom on our Montana. Plenty of room in there. We hated the front living with the couches under each slide. I can't tell you how many times I smashed my head on the slides frame above the couches. I would just naturally get up from a sitting position and make contact
I'm 6'-1", so maybe that's the reason. Also that front living was very hot up there.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

Bought a new Sandpiper 377 Flix (front living room) and love it, it gives me a sense of space. We have used 4 times this summer and will start living in it this next winter
jaholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Check out the new 375RE from Bay Hill. Same as front living but is in the rear with the added benefit of a patio door opening from the living area! This is what we have on order! Being in the rear you get taller slides for the couches and the divider counter has a Corian top for additional counter space. Tv recesses into the end entertainment center leaving a great view out the windows too.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Take a look at the Heartland Big Country model BC3800FL It has two recliners across from the TV and two couches to relax on in the front living room.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

We have a Grand Design Solitude, 379FL, it doesn't have the head knockers on the front slide, it has very comfortable reclining love seat, fireplace and lots of room
LCBOYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything built by Grand Design or Heartland right now...maybe in the future, but certainly not now. Do your research and homework and you'll see why. Both have huge warranty, service, and maintenance issues primarily because their quality is poor. Yes I know almost any RV you get will have something, but not major problems and then the factory fights against you repairing it. Just do your homework and you find better front living room 5th wheels than either of those.

Almost every RV manufacturer makes a front living room model now. Redwood, Landmark, Bay Hill, on and on and on. The difference are the appliances you want some offer say dishwasher and residential fridge and other don't. The larger TV's, layout of kitchen (island or no island), etc. many different choices
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

We took a look at the Grand Design 375RE. Noticed the Bay Hill version (also 375RE) has same floor plan. I was concerned with the 2400 pounds of cargo space for full-timing. Was not that interesting in the added sliding door because I'm thinking it would reduce the insulation. I could see where the sliding door would be nice however. We put the two on our list to take a closer look at.

Still looking for other rear living room setups that compare to these. We like the front living room floor plan because of the separation of space. Seems like the Bay Hill and Grand Design 375RE have good separation of space without the need to climb the stairs to the living room.

Should add we like not having the front awning over a slide such as found on the Jayco Pinnacle front living room and others. Also like having no carpet on the main level but our views on that may change.
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds1 View Post
We took a look at the Grand Design 375RE. Noticed the Bay Hill version (also 375RE) has same floor plan. I was concerned with the 2400 pounds of cargo space for full-timing. Was not that interesting in the added sliding door because I'm thinking it would reduce the insulation. I could see where the sliding door would be nice however. We put the two on our list to take a closer look at.

Still looking for other rear living room setups that compare to these. We like the front living room floor plan because of the separation of space. Seems like the Bay Hill and Grand Design 375RE have good separation of space without the need to climb the stairs to the living room.

Should add we like not having the front awning over a slide such as found on the Jayco Pinnacle front living room and others. Also like having no carpet on the main level but our views on that may change.
I just looked at the GD 375RE online after reading your post. One thing I have noticed about the GD Solitudes we walked thru in the past is that they use way too dark of wood. It really darkens the interior. Looks like the shelves are solid and do not pull out in the pantry either. The Bay Hill's pantry bottom three shelves pull out which is a big plus on storage. I really don't care for the plastic raised sink in the bathroom. Yes the patio door would most likely be a point of heat loss or gain depending on the season. I do know the Bay Hill uses tinted glass in theirs and is suppose to have a roller curtain which should help on heat retention/reflection.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thumbs View Post
We have looked at a lot of 5ers so far, and I really like the front living room. It seems like a cozy place to rest and watch tv. I especially like the Montana with the recliners facing the tv right at the top of the stairs. Not so sure I like the back bedroom though. Anyone who has a front LR have any comments about what they like or dislike about them.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Dave, the only concern I have is with the noise coming from the AC, esp. when watching a movie or when trying to have a quiet conversation.
I would insist on a ducted, whisper quiet AC and one for the bedroom plus one for the kitchen, with heatpump? - oops, that's 3 AC's.
I personally would love to have a front living room.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #12

As mentioned above make sure the AC is quiet on the front. An inherent feature of 5th wheels is that the upper area is 10-15* hotter than below. On an 75* day it will easily be 80-85 upstairs.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #13

We have been fulltime in our Redwood 38FL Front Living for a little over a year now, we love the space and layout.
Really like the rear Bedroom, lots of room in the bedroom and the Living room is open and spacious.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #14

winnebago 37fl front living room

We purchased a 2015 winnebago 37fl in July. We like the layout. Has lots of space when family shows up. Two opposing sofas that fold out into beds. No headroom issues as others have stated. A double reclining sofa also gives lots of seating space. Has premium audio and video. Indirect soft blue backlighting gives a theater effect for watching movies. Has a fireplace. Island and corian countertops in kitchen and bath. Has 8 1/2 ceilings from steps from living area all the way to the back. 22 cubic ft residential fridge. Large pantry with glass door. Convection microwave. Out side TV and stereo. Tv in the bedroom that looks like a mirror until you turn Tv on. Bedroom has king memory foam inclining bed. Washer dryer closet.
With the generator compartment in front, not a lot of basement storage. Has hydraulic main slides and hydraulic automatic 6 point landing gear. Came with load range E 16in tires speed rated at 75mph.
Gets hot in living area as others have said because heat rises, so you have to plan ahead and get ac going early.Has whisper quiet ducted ac.
Unit is very comfortable for us and we camp as often as we can. It is very large, 42 feet, so finding camping spots is more of a challenge, especially in state parks.
__________________________________________________ _______________
2015 winnebago destination 37fl, 42 ft/ 2015 silverado 2500 4x4 4 door high country with duramaxx diesel
bob3346 is offline   Reply With Quote