Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

Full Body Paint = 20% Price Increase Is It Worth It?

We have narrowed our search to either a Heartland Cyclone, Road Warrior or Gateway. We plan on using it full-time. While working on choosing options on the build sheet I noticed that full body paint costs about 20% of the full unit price. Is it really worth it? Is there a huge benefit to having full body paint?
Jhuff8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

it,s strickly looks for the first few years but my impression is that after a few years the standard paint job starts to look old and drab while the full paint (assuming you wash and wax on a regular basis ) will maintain it,s look. Also I would imagine that resell value would be much enhanced but by how much I don't know.

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll get opinions in all directions. I've got experience in painting for what ever that's worth. FBP will by far give you the best protection from the elements. Since you will be in the elements as a FT'er you'll need the protection. The type of paints today are very good. Most are going to be as with the auto industry a base-coat clear coat with chemical epoxy type hardeners and they are excellent.

Our 2014 coach has FBP top and bottom but where the decals are in the center section it does not. Part of the problem with some decals is they fade and peel. Our 1999 Dutch Star had no issues with the exterior. We had it for 10 years but the last 5 it was under a carport and not exposed to direct sun.

If memory serves me right FBP for our WBGO would have been about $9,000. That would have been about 12% of the cost. Your 20% may be a little high but your unit is probably longer and the paints are very expensive. A gallon of red could exceed $500 a gallon the last I heard. What we had done cost us around $3,000.

TeJay
Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #4

It shouldn't cost 20% but it is pricey.
If you want it to look like new after 5 years then yes, if you don't care then no. I'm not so sure about the resale value either but I have my doubts. Who doesn't want their home to look nice inside and out?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
20% is WAY too much. I'm certain that you can find the floorplan and unit you want with FBP off some dealer's lot and it won't be priced that much higher than the same unit next to it without it. That kind of pricing is by manufacturers wanting to suck every dollar out of your pocket.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
20% is WAY too much. I'm certain that you can find the floorplan and unit you want with FBP off some dealer's lot and it won't be priced that much higher than the same unit next to it without it. That kind of pricing is by manufacturers wanting to suck every dollar out of your pocket.
I agree the base price for the Heartland Road Warrior we are looking at is around $54000 and the add on for FBP is $11427. Seems a bit pricey to me too.
Jhuff8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
The price of FBP is the price of FBP, with perhaps a little variation by size of rig and who does it. But this means that the percent it adds to the cost of the rig is significantly more on a less expensive rig than it is as the price of the rig increases.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
paz

I don't know what the prices are on the units you're looking at, but full body paint on motorhomes usually costs $8 to $10k, not a percentage of the list price. Sometimes the selection of FBP as an option forces other options that you may or may not want or need. If that's the case, the price will be on the $10k side or even a little higher.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #9

It would be interesting to learn how much weight the paint job adds to the gross.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #10

Nice safe, durable Gelcoat-white all over is my preferred external finish.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We know that paint on an aircraft is an issue. They are usually stripped before re-painting because of the added weight. I can't believe it adds much more than 20-30 lbs. to a coach. But that is a good question and I'm just guessing.

TeJay
Old 06-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Worth it? Not to me.

$10,000 will pay for a lot of polish and it's application.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #13

FWIW, white is much easier to cool, unless you are fully-shaded from sunlight. I've read many posts complaining of poor cooling from owners with full body paint.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 AM   #14

Just a quick comment on the FBP. Trust me it's very hard to keep cool. If you are in Florida or the SWest during the summer months you will find out real fast.
Santee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint