Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemailwv View Post
Vanleigh offers the Beacon which is their top of the line model. A step above vilano. And the Beacon has beautiful full body paint.
My point was that Vilano isn't an entry level RV and it isn't standard....it isn't even an option. So I don't believe Full Body Paint has been a standard since '00.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
My point was that Vilano isn't an entry level RV and it isn't standard....it isn't even an option. So I don't believe Full Body Paint has been a standard since '00.

Oh. Gotcha. I think he was referring to his brand of coach. It's been standard on his coach since 2000.
firemailwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemailwv View Post
Oh. Gotcha. I think he was referring to his brand of coach. It's been standard on his coach since 2000.
Exactly correct..
I was speaking about the Prevost conversions, Newell & Foretravel
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Exactly correct..
I was speaking about the Prevost conversions, Newell & Foretravel
Sorry I misunderstood your comment. So I take it that most RVs have Gelcoat.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #19

Mine is half body paint and wish it was full body paint. Oh well, half is better than zero. It is nice not to have faded decals that are peeling off at the edges.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #20

Before decals fade, the sun-side of them will crack like a desert floor. Removing decals is very time-consuming, and if you think that replacing the decal with an exact match is the answer, bear in mind that any part of the new decal placed even 1mm off shows off the brand new gel-coat that was under the original.

Almost impossible to do for a pro; impossible to do for anybody else....
Old 04-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
If you have the extra money, FBP is well worth the price. I think it also helps with resale and might get it sold quicker. Of course if it cost say, an extra $8,000 for FBP, you may only recoup half of that back. If I were in the market for another motorcoach, I wouldn't even look at an RV that didn't have it.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Itasca Horizon is an '02, and from the factory, had a painted skirt, but the rest was fiberglass with vinyl decals. It looked good for years, but eventually the fiberglass yellowed, and decals faded and the edges frayed. She looked old and tired.

We talked about trading for something newer, but the inside looked like new (no pets, no shoes inside), and I had updated many of the systems by then. So we decided on full body paint.

I did a lot of research and talked to 4 or 5 RV paint shops in Maryland, N.C., Alabama, Indiana, and Forest City, Iowa. We decided on the one in Indiana, and had it done about 4 or 5 years ago. I am still very pleased, and would recommend them to anyone considering having it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151026_101906.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	199990   Click image for larger version

Name:	nsmail-28_1067x800.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	199991  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HorizonPaint01.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	199992  
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
CaptBill, I suppose you had some of what RayDK called "Extra Money". Looks great and you seem to be very happy with your choice.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Copied off one of the manufacturers websites, "High Gloss, True” Gelcoat Exteriors are truly the best, of the best, in fiberglass exteriors.

Don’t be fooled by the newer, “Gel-Coated” exteriors. Only “True” gelcoat is the thickest and retains it’s color as it ages. This gelcoat exterior remains our customer’s first choice for lasting beauty."

I guess all I need to do is be sure I get "True" gelcoat and everything will be fine.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Goes on to say, ".... get’s its strength from the frame, not from lamination. It can be easily repaired, never worry about delamination, and enhance your resale value."
Old 04-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've had RV's with both & I wouldn't have another without full body paint. The decals last only a few years before they fade/crack unless the RV is stored inside or well covered. The paint, if properly maintained, will look like new years later.

If you have a choice between decals or upgrade to the paint, go for the paint. The cost of that, like any other item, is negotiable. We got the price knocked down 50% on our FBP.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #27

I won't have another RV with decals, especially living here in AZ with the sun only a few feet away, lol. My front cap decals are toast and there are no replacements to be found.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
CaptBill, I suppose you had some of what RayDK called "Extra Money". Looks great and you seem to be very happy with your choice.
Well, there seems to never be any 'extra money' in my account, but it really needed something done, and trading in for newer would have been a lot more expensive. Also, I know this coach inside out, and topside to underside. I have done lots of improvements and upgrades, and I would have got nothing for it in trade. So the money for FBP seemed the best choice. 4+ years later, I'm still happy with it.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint