Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
IMO, a good starting point is when the manufacturer warranties an rv for fulltime living.
^^This

I suspect many of the people complaining about problems are the same ones using a product against how the manufacturer intends.

Also, watch for things like "4 season insulation". That's just marketing BS. My extremely low end Keystone Hideout has some "arctic package" which means pretty much nothing.

Don't get me wrong - I generally like my cheap RV but there's no way I'd ever use it full time or anything close. Enough stuff breaks during the +/- 25 nights a year I spend in it.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #16

Full Time Rig

I'd like to jump in here. I cannot stress enough about the weight. We are currently on a 5 moth around the US trip. We have a full time rig but its weighing in at close 20k fully loaded. Most of that is my fault, but I would pay very close attention to reducing the size you may have in your head. You want to large tankage agreed, but maybe knock off a couple feet f length.
I've owned a class c and 2 5'ers. Stick with the 5'r and a good to vehicle. You'll have less problems.

Cheers.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabondbums View Post
I'd like to jump in here. I cannot stress enough about the weight. We are currently on a 5 moth around the US trip. We have a full time rig but its weighing in at close 20k fully loaded. Most of that is my fault, but I would pay very close attention to reducing the size you may have in your head. You want to large tankage agreed, but maybe knock off a couple feet f length.
I've owned a class c and 2 5'ers. Stick with the 5'r and a good to vehicle. You'll have less problems.

Cheers.
We used to have a 30' class A for recreational use and I didn't like driving it. I felt like I was driving a bus. I've decided a 5'r is the only thing that will work for me. Also that way I don't have to tow a car around. I can just disconnect the truck and use it for running around.
drizztguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizztguen View Post
We used to have a 30' class A for recreational use and I didn't like driving it. I felt like I was driving a bus. I've decided a 5'r is the only thing that will work for me. Also that way I don't have to tow a car around. I can just disconnect the truck and use it for running around.
Just remember you'll be driving around in a large 1 ton diesel truck everywhere, not a Honda fit or similar toad. The DW (or equivalent) will be taking a 1 ton diesel pickup to get groceries. or a gallon of forgotten milk. etc etc.

They have done an excellent job making the new trucks comfortable - BUT - they are still big diesel trucks.
We've put 31k miles on our King Ranch Ford F-350 in 15 months (only about 8k on the trailer we figure). Its pretty comfy, but thats 31k miles of ~12mpg, a rough ride, tough(er) parking, and a lack of fitting down most small city streets. Maintenance and tires are also a factor on a 1 ton - that arent a big deal on a gas toad. I'm putting LOTS of miles on $250/e tires, and $100 oil changes, fuel filters...and all the other maintenance these things require. and let me tel ya....they require maintenance...

It comes down to what your planning on doing. Some people will be more stationary then others, some will move more. I traced the country and figured we'd put 8k miles on the trailer a year and we are right there....but then we go and drive another 23k miles and see things without it!

This wasn't something I thought about (at all) when I went down the 5th wheel route and is something to consider.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #19

There's been a lot of good info given, but I would like to provide a counterpoit to mrgrayaz above.

When we decided to jump back into the rv world I said to my wife I would never have a heavy 5th wheel hitch in the bed again and Never a dually....they were just too much around town.

We ended up with a 3500 SRW Ram, but also bought a 5th wheel. We just couldn't find the combination we wanted in a TT. As time goes on, we decided to full time and bought a much larger 5th wheel, which of couse required a dually.

So in the end, we ended up with another large 5th wheel and dually. The interesting thing is I love the new truck! No issues at all around town and the wife drives it without issue.

I'm not saying this combination is right for everyone, but it works for us. Also solved the heavy 5th wheel hitch issue by going to an Andersen Ultimate aluminum hitch. Best hitch I've ever owned and only weighs about 34#.

Good luck in your search....!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 AM   #20

[QUOTE=mtofell;3785652]^^This

I suspect many of the people complaining about problems are the same ones using a product against how the manufacturer intends.

Not always. I spent $100k+ on my brand new "high end" fifth wheel. The manufacturer says it is built for full time. Yeah maybe. If it wasn't always having problems. I've been able to use it for 7 weeks out of the 9 months I've had it. It's either waiting to go into the shop or in the shop waiting for parts. I've lost enough confidence in the builder that I hired a certified inspector to go through it. I've got more than 30 warranty items from a floor joist that was cut through to install plumbing to possibly needing an entire new roof. The tires put on it at the factory were just short of 4 years old. The list goes on.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Just remember you'll be driving around in a large 1 ton diesel truck everywhere, not a Honda fit or similar toad. The DW (or equivalent) will be taking a 1 ton diesel pickup to get groceries. or a gallon of forgotten milk. etc etc.

They have done an excellent job making the new trucks comfortable - BUT - they are still big diesel trucks.
We've put 31k miles on our King Ranch Ford F-350 in 15 months (only about 8k on the trailer we figure). Its pretty comfy, but thats 31k miles of ~12mpg, a rough ride, tough(er) parking, and a lack of fitting down most small city streets. Maintenance and tires are also a factor on a 1 ton - that arent a big deal on a gas toad. I'm putting LOTS of miles on $250/e tires, and $100 oil changes, fuel filters...and all the other maintenance these things require. and let me tel ya....they require maintenance...

It comes down to what your planning on doing. Some people will be more stationary then others, some will move more. I traced the country and figured we'd put 8k miles on the trailer a year and we are right there....but then we go and drive another 23k miles and see things without it!

This wasn't something I thought about (at all) when I went down the 5th wheel route and is something to consider.
Don't have too. I drive my Smart Car around that rides on rear of my Freightliner Century that towing our 5ther.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Don't have too. I drive my Smart Car around that rides on rear of my Freightliner Century that towing our 5ther.
I would really like to see a picture of this!
Tbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #23
JDT

I don't think I saw this mentioned but a good, solid frame will certainly help with longevity. It's certainly not always true but the more it weighs the more likely it has some better construction features. We have what is considered a 34 footer (actually 35', 5") and fully loaded we are bumping 16K. It is rated for 17.5K. It has a fully boxed frame which does add weight. In 6 seasons of use and somewhere between 40 and 45K miles I have had one slide adjustment. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

The debate between fifth wheel and motorhome started many years ago and has not let up as far as I can see. It boils down to personal preference. We are not full timers but do spend 3 to 4 months a year in ours. We have had a couple of popups, several fifth wheels, a gas motorhome and a 39' diesel pusher. Our preference is a fifth wheel but note I said us, not you. Just one consideration, but in my experience the motorhome was much more expensive to own and maintain and finding someone in our area to work on it and service it was not easy. Much fewer moving parts on a fifth wheel so there are less things to break, but no matter what it is maintenance is a must.

Good luck in your search.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #24

Truck

Here is one we saw this weekend but it is a Mack Truck..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170904_091904.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	175670  
blchapdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuddy View Post
I would really like to see a picture of this!

TruckBeds | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide

Look here for some pics...
Old 09-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #26

On the subject of using the DRW as a daily driver, my wife simply drives her own vehicle (which she enjoys). So we've got 2 vehicles with us just like home and can both do our own thing if we want. Of course, we're not doing the circle tour of the country with moves every week either. Usually staying a few months or more at each location.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Never thought of something like that being an option, thanks for the link.
Tbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #28

When we started researching, we had three 'brands' on our short list: Excel, Nu-Wa, and Arctic Fox. We briefly considered Mobile Suites but couldn't find a floor plan in the length we wanted. We wanted shorter as we enjoy state parks and COE parks when we can find them along our route. All three brands were warranted for full-time use. We happened to get lucky and found a 2011 Nu-Wa that had never been titled at the factory in 2013 at a price that we couldn't refuse. It's 31.5 feet interior length and just shy of 34 feet exterior length - triple slide. TONS of storage. Excellent build quality. Unfortunately, if you want to buy new, Arctic Fox is the only one of the three that is still in business. If new is not a concern, then I might suggest www.kansasrvcenter.com which is the former Nu-Wa factory. Used Nu-Wa is not all they sell; they sell new RV's as well.

The Class A vs fifth wheel is a personal preference. For us, we tend to stay put for a month or more at a time (we like to volunteer at wildlife refuges) and found that, foot for foot, we have more livable space in a fifth wheel. And even when on the road from point A to point B, it's rare that we have to unhitch for an overnight stop.

As far as the truck vs toad - we have no problem using our dually as a daily driver. And I only have one vehicle to maintain.

Good luck,

Bob
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, fulltime