Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #1

I am looking to start going Fulltimin\Workcamping soon and was wondering what Fulltimers setups others are using?

I want to buy used using up to $40K or less for a setup.

Travel Supreme & Alpenlite along with a few other models are what I would like or prefer from a quality and floorplan standpointin in a 5ver.If I can find a 1ton for a reasonable amount that would help.

What have others been using with success is what I wonder?

I figure I might beable to buy a lot of land wherever I find good work and might build a house having the Truck for materials then sell it after completion and do the same after that.

Any comments appreciated!
Near SOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #2

I am looking to start going Fulltimin\Workcamping soon and was wondering what Fulltimers setups others are using?

I want to buy used using up to $40K or less for a setup.

Travel Supreme & Alpenlite along with a few other models are what I would like or prefer from a quality and floorplan standpointin in a 5ver.If I can find a 1ton for a reasonable amount that would help.

What have others been using with success is what I wonder?

I figure I might beable to buy a lot of land wherever I find good work and might build a house having the Truck for materials then sell it after completion and do the same after that.

Any comments appreciated!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #3

You need to go to www.escapees.com and ask the same question. They are mostly full timers. And, if you want both a good truck and fiver for full timing and do it for $40,000, you are going to have a struggle.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #4

I am not looking to to buy new or anything that is extravagant ,but to live in the southern climates while working and building a house using the the 5ver to lvie out of for a few years while I make $$.

After looking at prices for some older 5ver's that are alittle under 30' I don't think it's impossible,but might be a struggle through the first yr. while looking for a homebase\land and work.

I might need to stretch it from 40-50K. I am single and expenses will not be to much except if I need to keep moving.

Thx!
Old 03-19-2006, 03:35 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Near SOTA:
After looking at prices for some older 5ver's that are a little under 30'.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Having owned a 30' single slideout unit as our first 5th wheel, I personally could not imagine full-timing in one. Although we're not full-timers, a week's vacation in our rig (especially if kept inside by rainy weather for a majority of the time) was so claustrophobic that we soon upsized.

I'm sure others will have differing experiences and opinions, but you might want to try staying in a 30' rig for an extended period before you commit to a purchase.

As always, JM2CW....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to diasagree on the 30' as too small for a single person to full time. It all has to do with layout and storage space.

My wife and I are currently fulltiming in a 36.5' 5er with two schnauzers and one small parrot. We do have a large main slide and a bedroom slide. The trailer has an unusally large amount of storge space inside and a reasonable amount of out side storage.

When you find one that is what you feel you need, sit in it for a couple of hours and pretend you are living there. Go through the motions of getting ready for bed, get up and get dressed, prepare a meal. See where you put you clothes (both summer and winter), where do linens fit, is there a palce for the toileteries, pots, pans, flatware, food and dishes. Is there room in the kitchen to fix a meal. Outside, do you have room for the BBQ, lawn chairs, fishing gear, and supplies for a hobby? Is ther a place for the computer, and files for paperwork for taxes, auto titles, bank statements?

The trick to living in a small space is to keep everything put away when you finish with it. keep kitchen counters uncluttered, furniture clear for seating and generally neat. When you are finished with an item...put it away and avoid clutter.

On another issue, make sure you have at least 2000# of cargo carrying capaity before you reach the trailer GVWR. Have the trailer weighed. Never believe the RV sales person or the truck sales person as to what will pull what. Very few RV and truck sales people understand the issues of weight and trailer towing, especially a 5er.

Have fun hunting...

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
I have to diasagree on the 30' as too small for a single person to full time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As I said, opinions will vary! Obviously, I'm claustrophobic and Ken isn't!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #8

Living in a Starter Home 45X25 at the moment on 1ac. of land is more than enough for myself and I really do not plan on needing to much room.

I would think that a 29-35ft. RV would be ample room for myself. I do plan on using it as a stepping stone to find another place to settle down in the future,not to be a permanent existance. I do not think I shall beable to afford anything over 30ft. actually when trying to cut cost.

Travel Supreme,Teton,Alpenlite,Alfa Leisure,Horizon Inc.,Holiday Rambler,Keystone and a few others would be the best bet for a satisfying experience as for long term ,but that would also entail putting more torwards a PU and $$ for the 5ver which shall be used.Very few of the above manfs. can I find a used unit for under $30K.

Depending on what type of deal I might find will depend on what I will put into it I think.

I shall probably take my car and head to Florida or some other place and either have a deal before I leave or look when I get there.

One thing I have been told is that there are older couples that sacrifice their RV's for a low price in FL. . There are other outlets to purchase through and I will wait for the correct time and RV to purchase.

On the affordable side I think Keystone Cougar might be acceptable ,but I cannot remember what the eperience was when I recently attended an RV show here.

Carriage Inc. I very much liked as far as construction until I read of an issue that several owners have.This may or may not be a major flaw throughout their manfacturing history.

As for myself after living 46yrs. in several locations including the military and several different sized habitats I can do with 30ft.long and appox.15ft. wide living quarters with a carrying cap. of 2000lbs. being single.With another person it might be cramped.

If in the future if a spouse and children become a part of my life then I shall need to adjust accordingly.

My main objective though is to find a place to live with the setup being paid for and a piece of land that I can work while having an occupation with the ability\versatility to relocate if I so desire.

Thanks or the replys.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #9

I think a 30' 5er is sufficient for a single person to live full-time. The prices for a 3-4 year old 5er and 4-6 year old 3/4T diesel truck to tow it and use for daily transportation should be well below your $40K target. Wife and I wintered in a 30' single slide 5er (3 mos) and never felt confined or cramped. Visit the escapees full-timers forum and search for the screen name RV, he and wife full-timed for several years in about the same size you are considering. He is very helpful and considerate, and always researches what he says prior to posting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Check out this website. This guy has a lot of information. He full timed in a 5ht wheel with no slides for 5 years. Check it out.
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/index.htm
Old 04-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #11

I lived in an old fifth wheel with no slides for six months and had no problems with the living arrangements. Naturally it is a somewhat minimalist arrangement however, can be quite comfortable. Just make sure you reduce the clutter and junk otherwise the walls will move in on you.

Good luck, TJ

2001 International 4700 LP
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
zip

You don't necessarily need a fiver and a heavy truck to accomplish what you've said you want to do. You may think along the lines of a used travel trailer and even a heavy duty 1/2 ton truck. There are plenty of options available, including the Airstream brand, which are very towable with a 1/2 ton or a properly equipped SUV.

zip.94 Terry 5'er 30.5ft.
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #13

Near SOTO,

May have a very good deal for you if you are still looking. 34' Travel Supreme Express. We plan to move you to a larger 5th wheel.

Not a dealer.

Fred Mann
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote