Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #1

Future full timer needs help.....

i am going to sell my home and buy an rv to live in. Probably will not be on the road much at all. Should i but a 5th wheel like the Crossroads Seville-or- a park model like the Crossroads Hampton.And if not Crossroads...what should i look for ... i am thinking 2010-2014...20k-35k.... 34'-42'..... large fridge....
SteveFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Steve,

I think it's great that you plan to move from a S&B to a camper of some type. You didn't give us much to go on and I sort of think you might not even be asking the "right" questions for such a huge change in lifestyle.

We don't know if you're doing this to get away from payments, neighbors, stuff, live on lakefront property, etc., etc.

A fallen pro cyclist once said, " It's not about the bike...."

In the fulltiming world, IMO it's not about the rv it's about your mindset to make it work. Don't get me wrong....buy the best RV you can afford after doing your homework. Obviously people are "fulltiming" in just about every make and model that has ever been made.

Good luck,
Jeff
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

I am doing this to be closer to my family... My mother is 79. My sister lives with her ; however, she has major health problems. I do want to be able to travel off and on tho... will set up power and sewage at my mothers home to have a home base....Hope this gives a bit more insight to my quest......
SteveFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Park model then.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

I think that a park model is intended to be a semi-permanent set up, not something that you could move easily for travel. The ones I've seen also had residential facilities and appliances. No holding tanks.
milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #6

Steve, I'd suggest that you slow down a bit and work at your "mission plan." You have done part of the work, in that you know that a towable is your best bet. Now, think a bit more about how you will be using your coach. You said that you will have a home base at your sister's place. Have you checked into the zoning laws for that? If your idea isn't permitted, do you have a Plan B?

When you are traveling, where will you go? When you are at home, what's the climate like? Few, if any, coaches are intended for extreme temperatures. If you will be facing temperatures below freezing you will need a coach that has heated tanks. If the below freezing temperatures will be for several days you will probably need to either insulate the space below the coach or add supplemental heat. Either way you will be looking at using a LOT of propane. If you are looking at temperatures in the high 90's or above you will want a light-colored coach with at least two air conditioners. That means 50A electrical service. Your sister will notice a great increase in her electrical bill.

What sort of truck do you have for towing? Coaches that are intended for full-time use are heavy. Sales people will tell you that a 3/4 ton truck will tow anything, and they are right - to a point. Nearly anything can drag a trailer down the road, but stopping it SAFELY is another matter. You are better off having more truck than you need than too little.

The empty weight of the coach is a good first number to have, but it isn't the most important one. GROSS weight of the coach is much more important. That's what the coach will actually weigh when you are going down the road.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

Park model

Have owned a home style park model for 6 years...wouldn't even imagine trying to move it, could be done but that's not what they are about. We are buying a 5th wheel in 3 years when we retire to winter in...love the park model but definitely not very mobile..
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time