Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2023, 03:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotown View Post
I spend less time towing on big highways than smaller roads. My first concern is getting my 13’ 4” 5th wheel to the pumps, irregardless of price. Plus, several times a year my city has the highest gas prices in the nation, yes its California. Any place I go I’m saving money on diesel. Went to Alaska a few years ago and never paid more for diesel than I do in my home town. Hint, it’s not SoCal of Bay Area.
You meant 31'4" right? If not all those looking for a short 5er will be ringing your doorbell.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2023, 11:00 PM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
You meant 31'4" right? If not all those looking for a short 5er will be ringing your doorbell.
13'4" height not length.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:30 AM   #17

I use Open Roads (TSD) and Gas Buddy. Generally, I find myself using GB for checking Buc-ee's price against the Open Roads app prices.

My last fill up at a TA using Open Roads I saved $21 - the nearest Buc-ee's price was just as competitive though.

I'm not signed up with Gas Buddy, as I said, I generally am only using it to check prices.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
For Your Diesel purchases.. look into the Mudflap app that gives "Fleet discounts" and TSD-Open Roads [It's an EFS card with fleet discounts].
I don't like that Mudflap requires you to take a picture of your driver's license for identification verification.

Open Roads looks like a great option for the big truck stops. I'll certainly use it in addition to what I have been.
Jameson223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:02 PM   #19

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson223 View Post
I don't like that Mudflap requires you to take a picture of your driver's license for identification verification.

Open Roads looks like a great option for the big truck stops. I'll certainly use it in addition to what I have been.
When creating ANY financial transaction account or auto-pay agreement, It is Imperative that The Customer and the Financial accounts being accessed agree to ones identity..
Old 01-18-2023, 04:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I use mud flap not a fuel card Google it if interested. Also use Open Roads which is a fuel card .

This has perked my interest. I looked into other programs but you had to use all the big boys which charge 20,30,40 cents higher than the others, so that would take all of your savings away.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:03 AM   #21

Best gas/diesel discount is gift card points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV9A View Post
Good morning,
Would like to ask your opinions best/better gas cards. Discounts vs service provided.
Example:
Gas card A HAS BETTER DISCOUNTS BY STATION LAYOUT, WITH UNKEPT FACILITIES ARE THE NORM.
GAS CARD B: NOT THE HIGHEST DISCOUNT BUT BETTER, CLEANER FACILITIES.
(I realize this can be specific to locations so I'm talking averages)

I'm new to pulling a Highland Ridge Lite 319RLS w GMC Sierra 2500/411
I'm studying, studying, studying. Reading a lot.
Fortunately, I'm partnering with a buddy who purchased both it 2 years ago.
THANKS.
I have been buying Home depot gift cards at Krogers stores when they have 4x points
I get $1.00 off PER GALLON for 35 gallons(1 fill)
just paid $2.29 for my work truck F150
but used as often as can on road
granted I spend a LOT at home depot for business, but there is large selection of different gift cards
fischer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:27 AM   #22

I use the Upside app and get good discounts in most areas. You just take a picture of your receipt and the funds accrue until they get deposited in your bank. You can also use it in grocery stores and restaurants. I tried the cash back cards and they were too much of a hassle. The Upside app actually gave me more money back overall. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:52 AM   #23

Going to Alaska this summer and Open Roads shows no stations in Canada or Alaska. Has anyone found cards or discounts that work there?
J W Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:39 PM   #24

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
This has perked my interest. I looked into other programs but you had to use all the big boys which charge 20,30,40 cents higher than the others, so that would take all of your savings away.
Please keep in Mind..You Really Don't have to stress on what the "Pump" price or the amount of savings/discounts per gallon are..

All You really need to focus on and compare is what is the Net Cost/Bottom Line withdrawal from your bank account .
Example..
You purchase 100 gallons of Diesel.

ie; Station A [T/A, Petro, Maverick etc] lists cash price fuel at $5 a gallon, .Your discount [Mudflap/Open Roads/whatever] is $4.25 per.. [$0.75disc] NET COST $425.00 (NOTE. The discounts are based on the Spot market and can vary day to day.)

Station B listed cash price is $4.40, Gas Buddy/Sams/ Fred Meyer/Kroger whatever, gives You $0.05/$0.10/$0.15 per gallon disc ie; $4.35/$4.30/$4.25 Net ..cost On a limit of 35 gallons purchase, then the pump listed price [$4.40] for the remaining 65 gallons [35x$4.25=$148.75], Plus the remaining 65 gallons [65x$4.40=$286.] $148.75 plus $286 equals NET COST $434.75

Which is the better Deal?
Old 01-25-2023, 04:59 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have 3 cards: 1- bp card which gives me $ 0.15 off per gallon, 2 - mudflap discount from a few cents to over a dollar off. 3 - gassbuddy card improve price at some stations.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #26

Diesel. TSD hands down. Easy in out at the truck stops (I am almost 65 feet overall), pump is FAST and doesn't stop at a pre-set amount (50G tank) and VERY serious discounts. Pays for my insurance. While I'm back there I can pump DEF if I need it too. No messing with bottles.

It is linked to a separate checking account. (My "street" account). There is less than $100 in the account. Pump gas, immediately use a phone and slide the money over from my main account. Same with getting cash out of an ATM. If I get hacked the damage is very contained. All that said, I haven't had any issues with the truck pumps. I have had credit cards hacked at regular gas pumps. This is why I carry three of them.

Works well.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:11 AM   #27

A friend of mine, w/ wife and 2 growing boys, gave me his Kroger card number because they buy a lot of groceries but don't use it for gas. I get as much as $1 off up to 35 gallons at Shell.

I also use the Murphy Drive (on my phone and my wife 's phone) app which builds up a discount over time. And Open Roads. Truck stops are good for DEF at about 2/3 the cost from Wally.
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas