Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post

My advice is to go take the factory tour. See how the two are actually built. I did and I didn't buy one. It's enough money to warrant a trip to Indiana which isn't that far away.
Interesting you made that comment but in 18 I was considering going back to a 5th wheel. I previously had a Solitude that didn't work for us due to factors not related to build quality. I tried to get a factory tour but we were in the Elkhart are around the time of the Elkhart RV show and many of the factories were suspending tours to set up for the show. I was also interested in the Vanleigh product since it's NOT from the IN area, it's associated with Tiffin which has a decent reputation within the motorhome community, and it was relatively close to me. I'm in south east AL, factory north east MS.

We were on a trip up through WI, across MI, down IN and then back with a side diversion to NE MS. While in the WI, MI states I went to several dealers that had the Vanleigh trailers, most were Vilano but some Beacon. Pretty BUT the quality of the build was abysmal. Under slide material torn of several, cabinets installed out of square, flimsy cabinets, awkward installation of interior and other significant QC issues on them. Remember these were trailers on dealer's lots, not ones waiting to be fixed and shipped. I arranged a factory tour on our last leg of the trip quite frankly excited to see what I hoped was going to be an impressive tour.

Just the opposite. Factory was filthy, nothing is cleaned up during the day. Cabinets with obvious flaws were installed or sitting ready to be installed. Our group got a chance to crawl around everything there from Vilano to Beacons. Only one of the group was impressed and that was a new owner trying to defend his decision. I really doubt that tour resulted in any sales, likely just the opposite. At that time I wrote up a "factory tour report" on the new forum dedicated to the Vanleigh with the other things we saw. I also left some comments from the tour asking to be contacted. No one did.

Bottom line I was expecting and hoping for a good view of the product. I came away with the feeling that Bob Tiffin's work and business ethics did not pass down to Van or Leigh Tiffin and the Vanleigh trailer was the result. Seeing the finished product and the way they were assembled left a real bad and disappointed taste for me. I saw that last year sometime Tiffin put their name on them so maybe Bob kicked some butt and made changes. But now they have sold to Thor and I don't see that as good. I still can't put a Vanleigh on my wish list of 5th wheels to own.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I saw it quite differently and as an owner, I can show you the quality different. Not speaking for the Vilano but for the Beacon. None are perfect, just some are better than others. But buy what you want, I did and I have no regrets at this point.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I saw it quite differently and as an owner, I can show you the quality different. Not speaking for the Vilano but for the Beacon. None are perfect, just some are better than others. But buy what you want, I did and I have no regrets at this point.
I agree and with just about all RVs, getting a good one can be a crap shoot. I now have a Keystone Raptor. Keystone is a Thor product which in my mind and observations is not a good thing. But I had a previous raptor and liked it and the quality. Choices for me were the Raptor or GD Momentum. Both would have had to be ordered and the advantages as I saw them leaned towards Raptor. So far, 1 big trip 2 smaller ones, have been relatively event free. Time will tell.

I really wanted VL to win and be superb for a variety of factors including they were NOT in Elkhart, NOT owned by a conglomerate, had a good reputation with the Tiffin family name and work ethics, and was relatively local. What I saw just didn't work for me. I followed along with you when you were man with no RV and all the anxiety you had, researching you did, questions you asked. Long arduous trek for you and I'm glad it worked out for you.

After my factory tour I reached out to the customer service reps in VL with my concerns and was ignored. No response at all. At that time I figured out that the Van and Leigh side of the family didn't have control of the ship and I wasn't boarding.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reflection, solitude