Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #15

I have a generator ready Arctic fox 27-5 that has a huge area to install it in. Instead of losing most of the space, like I did in my last Arctic fox with an Onan gen. I bought a champion 3100 with the remote start for 950$. It weighs about 95lbs, and is on wheels for easy in or out of the trailer front storage. It is very quiet, and has a 30 amp RV plug so I don't need any adaptors. Runs our 13.5 Air with no problems. The thing I like about this set-up is, with the Champion inverter, when you are not using full power, the engine will drop rpms to conserve fuel. The Onan runs at constant 3600 rpm. Also there are three ways to start the Champion, remote start. 60' range, electric start at the gen, and pull start just in case the trailer batteries are totally discharged. We like it much better than are old built in Onan we had. Good luck Dave-R
Dave-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #16

Sounds like an improvement. I just bought a Honda 7000.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-R View Post
I bought a champion 3100 with the remote start for 950$. Runs our 13.5 Air with no problems. Also there are three ways to start the Champion, remote start. 60' range, electric start at the gen, and pull start just in case the trailer batteries are totally discharged.
Dave R... good overview, My question is the remote start option, sounds like it requires external 12 V dc power input for remote start to work? next...how long have you had this and any problems to date? I was think of the Ryobi 1800 unit...but this will run my A/C and has remote start...not much bigger in size...but 50% heavier. But it will run the A/C... have to re-think this...
Old 04-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #18

Hello oldeguy; I have had it for a month. It has a small in closed battery of its own. It has been bullet proof so far. Very quiet and easy for me to load and unload. It has a small fob about like a car key fob. I think it will run about 8hr on min load, not sure on full loads. I was outside when the wife had both the convection microwave , and the 4 place toaster going, I could tell it was loaded then. Hey I'm 65 and I can load it so how hard can it be. Now I still have a good 6' left in the front storage also. I think it's 25" X 17". Also came whith a small set of 12 volt jumpercables, that might come in handy. It has a 12 volt 10 amp charger built in with a place to even charge your cellphone. Dave-R
Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #19

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
I'm going with a big 7000. Planning to build an enclosure with exhaust in the truck bed. Anyone tried this?

Going to watch for responses

I've been tossing around the idea of mounting my 6500is in the "Little
Creeker" with a 50amp receptacle on the outside.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #20

The little creeker would work as long as you have sufficient venting in the trailer. Might want to add a fan to aid in air movement.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Dave R...thanks for the info on the genset...