Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2023, 11:46 AM   #1

General RV Center

Has anyone had any experience dealing with the dealership "General RV Center"?
We were at the Tampa show and they had the new Brinkley 5th wheels on display. I was impressed with the Brinkley product but when it came time for sealing the deal, they added over $3000 for freight and over $3000 for dealer prep.

I don't know what a dealership has to do for prepping a trailer but I thought this was too high and thought their typical profit should carry their operating expense. It was at the end of a long day and I wasn't in the mood to fight so we just walked away from the deal.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2023, 11:58 AM   #2

Be glad you did.

Google "General RV Scandal"
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Has anyone had any experience dealing with the dealership "General RV Center"?
We were at the Tampa show and they had the new Brinkley 5th wheels on display. I was impressed with the Brinkley product but when it came time for sealing the deal, they added over $3000 for freight and over $3000 for dealer prep.

I don't know what a dealership has to do for prepping a trailer but I thought this was too high and thought their typical profit should carry their operating expense. It was at the end of a long day and I wasn't in the mood to fight so we just walked away from the deal.
Good call.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I fell it depends on the specific franchise. We had a very pleasant experience purchasing our Phaeton from General RV. I was happy with both what they offered for our trade & what we paid for the Phaeton. Plus & they were very compassionate & got me more for it than I had on the loan when I had to sell it.

I wouldn't write off ALL of them based on a bad experience those had with a few.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:44 PM   #5

The last time I negotiated a price on a 5th wheel everything was negotiable. Just say you are not going to pay for xy and z add ons.

I think a lot of RV Dealers try this tactic not just General RV.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:54 PM   #6

I once had my motor home serviced at a General RV shop. I won’t go into details, but I will tel you I would never, EVER go there for anything again. Not even toilet paper.

They did some of the shoddiest work on my coach anyone has ever seen. The tech who ultimately fixed their incompetence was amazed I had not had a fire.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #7

I think it can vary on many factors. I have had multiple transactions with General RV and all have been good and positive. Perhaps since the Brinkley is new and was very popular at the show could be the reason they were being a bit over proud of the product. You could simply say, drop these additional fees and you have a deal.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:12 AM   #8

When I purchase a big ticket item like a car, boat or RV from a dealer where the price is negotiable I do as much research as I can on what the item is worth and what others are paying. This may include paying someone like for example when buying an RV, Dave Lester at RV pricing and appraisals.

However when I come to a price that I will pay I always offer an "out the door price". This include taxes, title, doc fees, dealer prep fees and any other tax or fee. Make sure the sales manager knows this is a true out the door offer not subject to any other add on fee or cost.

Again this will take some research on your part to determine the taxes and any other state required fees that the dealer must pay. Once that is determined and you figure out a fair price you can offer that out the door price.

If you've done your research don't be afraid to walk away if the dealer won't deal or if it comes to closing, the out the door price doesn't include some added dealer fees.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:46 AM   #9

RV Trip Wizard
I recently purchased a new 5th wheel from General RV near Richmond, VA. The price I was quoted at the dealership was near MSRP and added to that was a stiff delivery charge. I got online and asked for a quote from General RV's internet office and got a $20k discount, no freight charge and a reduced prep fee. Also got an additional $500 credit as a military discount towards a second solar panel and MoRyde steps. Also got free installation on a new hitch.

The store honored the internet pricing. I'm pleased with my purchase from General RV.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:41 AM   #10

I too generally like to deal over the phone after doing my research on the internet. You are at a disadvantage in the dealers show room.

I recently bought a car from a dealer 150 miles away. We negotiated over the internet and finally the phone. I told the salesman to give me his best out the door price and we negotiated from there. After an agreement was reached I asked him to give me some assurance that after driving 150 miles the dealership would honor the agreed upon price and the car would be there for my purchase. He sent me via email a signed contract.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:22 AM   #11

I bought a fifth wheel Montana high country from General Rv Canton, Ohio. Beginning of the summer. First trip I had a problem with the bedroom slide, it would not come in, and it would not go out and actually tore up the flooring in the bedroom… their service department over the phone was little to NO help. I brought it back to them to fix the issue. They had it all summer. I did not get it back until end of October. They do have a large inventory but their service department after the sale is horrible.. this is not my first RV and I know you can say that about a lot of the people in this industry it is hard to find anybody in the RV industry that stand behind their products. Industry full of snakes….
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:44 PM   #12

I think most RV dealers have a lousy service department. I do not think that can keep a good technician and seems the service department is younger people there for a summer job. Yes, they are charging $100/hr for unskilled labor IMHO.

Just look inside the bays.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Our last 2 motorhomes were bought from General RV. The sales experience was very good, but I don't find their sales staff knowledgeable at all. If you do go with them for the sale, make sure to do all of your homework. Minus the outright criminal contract alterations that were already referenced in the second post, I find their finance staff to be good also, but then again, DW absolutely loves to bargain... she wears me out just listening to her bargaining and I don't say a word. All of the negotiations for our current coach were made completely online and by telephone, and they were excellent, but everything stops there. They will never touch our motorhomes after the sell. Even their after sales prep was horrible the first time we bought from them. Someone once told me and I feel EXACTLY the same... if our coach broke down in General RV's driveway, we will pay to have it towed somewhere else.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote