Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Generator question

I'm buying a new 5th wheel with 2 A/Cs. I would think I'll need 4000+ watts to run both A/Cs. I've heard if you plug in electronics like laptop, cell phone etc. you want an inverter type generator.

Can you plug the RV into a standard construction type generator (much cheaper) and then plug laptop, cell phone etc. in an outlet inside the RV (NOT into the generator direct) and be safe?
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably not, since the electrical wave will come right on through.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

No you don't want a construction generator because of the noise. Good way to get shunned by other rv'ers. Anyway what you need are amps as well as watts. Get a Honda - you won't regret it. Not cheap but very efficient on the gas, super quiet, last forever.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #4

Champion Inverter Family

I have a 2 A/C 5th wheel also. Most of the time I camp where elec. Hookups are available. But occasionally we drycamp. I find that running one of the A/Cs at a time is fine. During the day we run the bedroom A/C which shares venting wirh the Living Room A/C. At night we switch and run the LivRm one.

I run a Champion 3100 inverter and it has the same specs as the Honda for less than half the price. $799, 84 pounds, 53db. The Champion inverter family also includes a 3400 watt model and a Dual Fuel (gas or propane). 3 years and it still runs like the day it was new.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #5

The great value in an inverter type generator is that the inverter system will produce 120VAC at any engine speed... its a delta wound AC generator... like the alternator in your car/truck.. and then its inverted back to 120VAC... so at any speed you get usable AC Power..... the value in the inverter is that the computer on the gen set will increase the engine speed as needed when you need more amperage.... so its always quieter and uses less fuel when the load is low... and changes the RPM as the load increases... wow... did I say it correctly so you can understand.....

Now you need to look at your AC units.. .do they both start at once.... usually an AC unit draws 50% more power during the first 90 seconds of startup as all motor/pump & fans come up to speed.... if this is the case I'm guessing that a 4,000 watt unit won't handle some of your other AC items running and have the (2) AC's start... if they cycle individually... so one starts and than the second one starts... you might get along with the 4,000 watt unit...

Plus you need to check with your wife... mine likes to warm up the curling iron when she runs the hair dryer... each of these are heavy current draws... If you out where it's hot... and she starts those items up... or maybe the Microwave... and your converter is charging the batteries.... I'm going to guess that you'll need to move to at least a 5,000 watt... that's why most class A units have a minimum 6,000 and most have 7,500.. to cover all the items that might need to be on...
Old 09-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #6

As far as construction generators, they work the same as almost all built-in RV generators.

You will not burn out electronic stuff, if running properly.

Like constant speed RV generators, they turn the generator end at 3600 RPMs to produce 60 cycle, 120 volt power.

There are some RV, inverter style, variable speed generators but not many.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Champion 3100 here. Runs one A.C. and is quiet.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I have 2 Yamaha 2000s now with the cable to put them together. That should be good for 1 A/C, just wanted to be able to run 2. NASCAR races are about the only time we camp without at least an electrical plugin. Texas Speedway is first weekend in April and first weekend in November....but we want to go to some of the other tracks over the next few years. So that will put us in the dead of summer.

I've also thought about selling the 2 small ones and getting 1 bigger one to chain on a rack on the back of the 5th wheel, maybe with electric start .

Also a thought...could you start the generator...turn on 1 A/C...and run down the road? If you did that for the last couple of hours on a travel day it wouldn't be so hard to pull the inside temp down at the campsite when boondocking...?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #9

If you are buying new, consider having the gen built-in...and you probably need a 5500 watt minimum to be able to run most stuff at the same time.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
If you are buying new, consider having the gen built-in...and you probably need a 5500 watt minimum to be able to run most stuff at the same time.
We had a 5500 Onan built-in when we had the Cardinal. It was great...but it sure sucked the propane!
Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #11

Yeah, but the convenience of pushing a button and everything works--priceless!
4000w probably won't easily run both ACs, one at a time, sure.
I have never had a problem running anything in my trailer off a standard construction generator, either, when I use one.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator