Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 04:03 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notchu View Post
Many ideas around to quiet less expensive generators

HAHA yea. I finally found one, I bought a Generac generator 17,500 Watts. Turned absolutely everything on using it and it didn’t even attempt to bog down. Love it.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
HAHA yea. I finally found one, I bought a Generac generator 17,500 Watts. Turned absolutely everything on using it and it didn’t even attempt to bog down. Love it.
17,500 Watts. That must be a monster !
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampowerwago View Post
You need to consider the power you will use rather amperage. Power is equal to volts x amps. Expressed in math form:

P=IE, or power is equal to amps (I) X volts (E)

Lets assume that we have a 50A circuit at 120 volts...

With our equation we would see 50A x 120V = 6000 watts

From this you can add up the load of power in watts of each load and determine how much capacty you need in watts for a generator. A 6000 watt generator should carry enough load to support 50 amps of load.

To muddy the water somewhat, your 50A service is really 2, 50 watt legs which gives you a total 100 amps or 12000 watts of capacity.

But in real life, even running all 3 generators, fridge, TV, etc, I can't imagine the steady state load exceeding 8,000 watts or so. The most load I'ver ever seen on mine was 65-70 amps incoming, or around 8000 watts. Most of the time it is much less.

And for what it's worth, a generator makes electricity (either AC or DC), an inverter uses DC power from the battery to make AC.

Thank you Rampowerwagon. Best description I’ve read in a long time.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
17,500 Watts. That must be a monster !

It is. It’s actually too much for the RV but we can use it for the house also. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7426.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	199045
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
If you like noise and don't like your neighbors, then get the Harbor Freight generator.

Do I not remember that the new Predator generated is rated at 57 dB? I believe that is same as Champion and very close to Honda.

I’m not a fan, just curious.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
A 5000 or 6000 watt generator will pretty much get to where you want to be with little worries about what you can and can't run at the same time. Personally I go with a 3600 watts (30 amp). Generators start getting heavy, bulky and expensive as the power capabilities go up. A little power conservation goes a long way.

And as rampowerwago posted check the watts (power) of the appliances you want to operate to determine how to size the generator. Heating, cooling and the microwave are high demand items. TV's and such are minor. The fridge is a low power appliance but will have a start surge that can push into 20 amp range for a second or so. Same for an A/C compressor but the generator should be able to make past those instances unless they both cycle on at the same time which would be very rare.

I can run everything, except both A/C's and the electric side of the water heater, at the same time with a 3600 watt generator. Got a strange coach in the driveway. 50 amp service with a 30 amp generator.

Sweetbriar, can I ask, which brand 3600 you own? And would buy the same again?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #63
IC2

Some good information and wishful thinking on this thread

How many electrically powered items will you be running at one time? Not the furnace, fireplace and a/c at the same time for sure.

You learn to do power management with 2-4000 watts or just buy big. Most folks can physically handle that size hauling it in and out of the TV. A permanent installation in the RV - well best make sure that the Lippert frame was built for a heavy genset. Our 65 pound, 3600 watt inverter generator will run almost everything very nicely but not all at the same time. The HW heater is a power 'sucker' - we use propane. We don't always need that second a/c either. And my DW knows that something needs to be turned off if she is using the hair dryer. This is camping, not a week at a luxury hotel or even glaming
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #64

Mid Atlantic Campers
I like your answer IC2. I have a CC 34 RLSA 50 amp. I have a 3500 Champion with remote start and before someone gets all offended it is as quiet as any inverter out there. We boondocking a lot and it powers what we need nicely. We also found on our cross country trips that alot of smaller town parks and a lot of older campgrounds only have 30 amp service. To the OP you will learn in short order what 30 amps will run. We have found that 15 amps is doable once you understand power management. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
How can you tell if a particular RV has 50 amp or 30 amp service? I can't find it in the specs. Should I have made this a new question?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #66

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
How can you tell if a particular RV has 50 amp or 30 amp service? I can't find it in the specs.
30 amp three prong plug. 50 4 prong plug
Old 04-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Mini splits are very interesting. The RV industry is so old school with the roof top units....

Our basement system in really pretty good too, but NLA...
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
30 amp three prong plug. 50 4 prong plug
Yes, but i'm talking about when I'm comparing / considering different RVs. I don't see a spec that tells which it is.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #68

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Yes, but i'm talking about when I'm comparing / considering different RVs. I don't see a spec that tells which it is.
Most newer models will be 50 amp. Good indicator is if it has 2 a/c it will be 50. Residential frig. On demand hot water heater.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #69
IC2

Quote:
- If it has an exterior power socket. 30a = 3 conductors, 50a =4 conductors. -
- The power distribution panel will have either a 30 or 50 amp breaker
- If the salesman has any intelligence, he either knows it's 30 or 50 amp or he can look at the spec
- If the power cord weighs a LOT and is pretty stiff, it's 50A. Light and flexible, 30 amp
- Two a/c units or at least wired for two = 50a
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
- If it has an exterior power socket. 30a = 3 conductors, 50a =4 conductors. -
- The power distribution panel will have either a 30 or 50 amp breaker
- If the salesman has any intelligence, he either knows it's 30 or 50 amp or he can look at the spec
- If the power cord weighs a LOT and is pretty stiff, it's 50A. Light and flexible, 30 amp
- Two a/c units or at least wired for two = 50a
I'm talking about looking on line / researching different RV's. I know how to look at a plug.

Tags
generator