Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Getting an RV for long-term living at one site, so how can I leverage for saving $$$?

Other than initial delivery to my permanent rural site for full-time, four-seasons living, I hope to never have to take the 32' to 42' unit on the road. So how can I leverage this fact to my advantage when purchasing a used fifth-wheel? [I'm perhaps open to a travel-trailer instead but they tend to lack the many slide-outs. Either way, I prefer maximizing headspace.]

That is, what may be huge disadvantages to others are not problematic for me: I don't care if the economy suspension makes it bouncy on the road; bad wheel alignment won't matter as long as it will survive the trip to my ranch site; I don't care if it is too long for some RV Parks; and other than staying legal on maximum height, the taller the better.

In other words, an RV can have characteristics which make it undesirable for MOST conventional full-timer buyers so I hope that the lower demand will mean a lower price for me. SO IF YOU WERE IN MY POSITION AS A BUYER, how might this impact your search, selection strategy, and even price negotiation?

How can I use my "atypical" requirements and wishes to my advantage in buying my fifth-wheel?
FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllen View Post
Other than initial delivery to my permanent rural site for full-time, four-seasons living, I hope to never have to take the 32' to 42' unit on the road...
Paul,

I've been reading your threads on this subject and can't help but wonder why you're looking at 5th wheels for a permanent/non-mobile residence. You can get more space for less money (comparing new for new) with Park models, mobile homes or perhaps even manufactured homes. The additional systems that make a 5th wheel RV mobile and self-contained also add cost in comparison to other options.

Just curious....

Rusty
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

Why does this guy keep starting new threads? He's not going to buy an RV. He is just blowing smoke.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith9 View Post
Why does this guy keep starting new threads? He's not going to buy an RV. He is just blowing smoke.
me sentiments exactly
just counted the last 2 days- 29 threads-
Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
the threads- 3 more keep coming- maybe a record?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Paul,

I've been reading your threads on this subject and can't help but wonder why you're looking at 5th wheels for a permanent/non-mobile residence. You can get more space for less money (comparing new for new) with Park models, mobile homes or perhaps even manufactured homes. The additional systems that make a 5th wheel RV mobile and self-contained also add cost in comparison to other options.

Just curious....

Rusty
My circumstance is very unusual and involves a property where zoning and some contractual circumstances will NOT allow those other options. (So, frankly, concerning myself with the details and trade-offs would be a waste of my time and yours. All of the options you mentioned were DOA from day 1.)

Indeed, only because of some flukes/technicalities in the law can I reside year-round at that location at all. But the situation is well worth it and I'm thrilled at the prospect.

It also involves a partnership agreement where he has agreed to an RV but NOT any of the other options you mentioned (even if they were permitted by the county and the Texas, which they aren't because of how the overall property is zoned.) (Among other things, the solutions you mentioned could terminate some of the variances and special waivers that presently exist on the property. Indeed, drawing attention to the property in any way runs the risk of reminding today's County Commissions of special concessions granted some 40+ years ago which today's officials could easily decide no longer suits them. So my business partner is happy about the prospect of live-in security on the grounds but the thought of tipping the delicate balance with local politicians or having to pay legal fees for "updating" various agreements with the county and state is quite daunting. (I assume you know the old joke with the punchline, "Why are they doing it? Because they were smart enough not to ask for permission?")

For example, anyone who has dealt with graywater issues in rural, unincorporated Texas probably can understand the kinds of issues I'm working around. Believe, if I had the option of saving money through other options I would. But I have to deal in the real world. When I began this process I thought of all of Texas much like I experienced in west Texas in the past: lax zoning requirements, little concern over codes, and the freedoms of the vast frontier. Those days are ending. (I was surprised to find that I can't even put an old-style outhouse on a rural TX property anymore.)

Yes, "all things being equal", other options could be advantageous. But in the real world all things aren't always equal. Nor advantageous.
FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
1) If you prefer that I place all questions on a single thread, I can do so. However, most forums request that separate topics go on separate threads.

2) Are psychic? If you somehow know that I'm not going to buy an RV, perhaps you also know, therefore, where I'm going to live? I already sold my house in another region of the country and all my goods are arriving in about 3 weeks.

3) What is "blowing smoke" about? What are the benefits for me in this "blowing smoke" you are describing?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
me sentiments exactly
just counted the last 2 days- 29 threads-

If I'm breaking forum rules, I will gladly comply. I have to make my purchase in the next few weeks so I'm posting my questions now, not distributed over a long period of time. If the latter is required here by some rule here, I"m surprised.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
C,Mon, let's try to get along and not turn this forum into one that I hardly visit anymore. We're here to try and help everyone, that's what makes this such a great forum.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Not moving the 5th wheel does give you some leverage or options that should reduce cost. Example - you will not be interested too much about condition of tires. I would look at quality units 8 to 10 years old.

I would recommend a 8 year old NuWa or Carriage. They will be near the bottom of their depreciation curve.

Leverage - if it does not leak you will take it as is.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You can ignore him.. and you won't see anymore of his post. Just click on the users name, and click the last item on the drop down then follow the instructions

Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On another thread you said you were considering buying a second unit for extra space. It might be useful to look for two similar if not identical units and use one as a parts and appliance source for the other.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Thanks Texnet , I didn't know about that feature. I will definitely use it.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You are cluttering the forum with all the threads you keep starting.

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped