Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
I am posting this message to help all those who may one day experience the same problem I just resolved.

I have an A/C circuit that has 3 outlets then a GFCI outlet followed by four more outlets and a switch controlling two wall sconce lights. The problem I had was none the outlets nor light sconces worked. I put a test plug in the outlets one by one. The indicators showed normal connection. As soon as I applied a load to the circuit (plugging in a device or turning on one of the lights) the test plug indicated REVERSED HOT AND GROUND. Looked like a bad GCFI Outlet or a compromised neutral somewhere.

I replaced the GFCI outlet and the condition persisted. I pulled the lights and switched and checked the connections. Problem persisted. Then I pulled the outlets one by one. I found a neutral wire came loose on, of course, the last outlet on the circuit.

Now the reason I am posting this. These outlets are not the type that had screws that the wires attach to. Rather they use pinch blades that cut thru the wire insulator to make contact. Talking to my RV Technician he says many RV's use these outlets now. I know there are many new type outlets used in the housing industry now and these blade outlets are among those. They may work very well in a home, but add the bouncing down the highway that an RV does, it is no wonder these wires come loose.

I hope this helps someone save some time down the road.

My next project now is replace these outlets with the old fashioned screw type outlets.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I am posting this message to help all those who may one day experience the same problem I just resolved.

I have an A/C circuit that has 3 outlets then a GFCI outlet followed by four more outlets and a switch controlling two wall sconce lights. The problem I had was none the outlets nor light sconces worked. I put a test plug in the outlets one by one. The indicators showed normal connection. As soon as I applied a load to the circuit (plugging in a device or turning on one of the lights) the test plug indicated REVERSED HOT AND GROUND. Looked like a bad GCFI Outlet or a compromised neutral somewhere.

I replaced the GFCI outlet and the condition persisted. I pulled the lights and switched and checked the connections. Problem persisted. Then I pulled the outlets one by one. I found a neutral wire came loose on, of course, the last outlet on the circuit.

Now the reason I am posting this. These outlets are not the type that had screws that the wires attach to. Rather they use pinch blades that cut thru the wire insulator to make contact. Talking to my RV Technician he says many RV's use these outlets now. I know there are many new type outlets used in the housing industry now and these blade outlets are among those. They may work very well in a home, but add the bouncing down the highway that an RV does, it is no wonder these wires come loose.

I hope this helps someone save some time down the road.

My next project now is replace these outlets with the old fashioned screw type outlets.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #3

"Pinch blade connection" is common today, in every type of electrical connection. I believe that type is the source of many house fires for the reason you ascribe. Look at the cheap sqeeze together 12V wire taps used by most, to add a RV Bargman plug to a tow vehicle, RV manufacturers to install electric brake wiring, etc., and how many electrical failures that are experienced from their use.
Cheap is cheap, we really do get what we pay for!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote