Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
ya the manufacturing process can be disturbing. ever go to a paper mill and see how they make toilet paper? if people only knew! but those in the know have a choice to buy or not to. I know and I still use toilet paper and I have purchased new 5th wheels and there is most likely another in my future. just keep up on your maintains and everything will be ok.
brokenoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie_ENT View Post
I keep asking myself (and the others here)… WHY are we concerned with the ONGOING CRITIQUES of the "ManWithNoRV"? Buy one or forget it! The members here LOVE our RV's! Seriously!

Even folks who get defect-ridden products *wanted* to love their RV! Seriously!

I think what is being underestimated is the emergence of a new type of RV buyer - one who is accustomed to new car dealer type of service, with Amazon returns expectations. The RV industry is slowly turning to floor plans and decor options that appeal to pre-retirement ages, the next generation coming up will have a very different tolerance for the BS that comes with the Large Leisure Purchase we call RVing.

It won't happen in my life time but it will happen.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
My tour of the Cardinal plant was in Elkhart, In. I don't know if they have a plant anywhere else, so I can't speak about that if they do. The plant I did tour was a complete disaster...that's my experience and I understand that my comments will offend those who purchased from Cardinal and are happy. Today, I toured DRV and Grand Design and for me there is simply no comparison. I won't bore folks with details, but I can say that anyone who has toured these plants will completely understand and agree that Cardinal is an inferior product and company. Other's can come to a their own conclusion and purchase one, but I wouldn't buy one with your money.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie_ENT View Post
I keep asking myself (and the others here)… WHY are we concerned with the ONGOING CRITIQUES of the "ManWithNoRV"? Buy one or forget it! The members here LOVE our RV's! Seriously!
I have my timeline for purchasing, so please don't tell me to buy one or forget it. Clearly you aren't happy that I don't like your RV, but that's ok. You're happy that's all that matters to you. I'm trying to make an informed purchase decision. Clearly, a lot of RVs are not in the same league with DRV and Beacon quality, construction, price point, etc. I'm learning this by visiting plants, asking questions (including on this forum), and going to the Hershey RV Show....so I'm doing this the right way...so I'm not going to just close my eyes and pick one. Sorry, my comments upset you but I stand by them.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
My tour of the Cardinal plant was in Elkhart, In. I don't know if they have a plant anywhere else, so I can't speak about that if they do. The plant I did tour was a complete disaster...that's my experience and I understand that my comments will offend those who purchased from Cardinal and are happy. Today, I toured DRV and Grand Design and for me there is simply no comparison. I won't bore folks with details, but I can say that anyone who has toured these plants will completely understand and agree that Cardinal is an inferior product and company. Other's can come to a their own conclusion and purchase one, but I wouldn't buy one with your money.
I would welcome some additional thoughts about your tour at Grand Design. Worth the trip?,etc.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
I would welcome some additional thoughts about your tour at Grand Design. Worth the trip?,etc.
I believe that anyone seriously considering the purchase of any RV should absolutely tour the plant before they purchase. I was on tours with some folks who purchased their RV and then took the tour (when they brought the RV back for repairs), and I saw body language and expressions of concern, disappointment, etc. of what they learned about their RV from the tour. This wasn't at Grand Design.

As for Grand Design, yes it's worth the visit. There was a very large group between 25 to 35 folks, by far larger than any other factory tour I've been on. The tours start at the corporate office. The CEO Don Clark just happened to be on his way out of the office and ran into our large group. He stopped and spoke for about an hour telling us how he and his partners started the company. He was outstanding. The company is incredibly well managed, one of the best, and they have grown. Large modern facilities, work force that Don said he has not lost a single employee (so no turn over problems here). It's an impressive operation and product. Having said that there were a few disappointment, but mostly around the lack of options to upgrade some features from the factory. I don't believe they are deal killers for me at this point. Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #21

We are on a trip through WI and MI. After MI I plan to spend a few days in the Elkhart area and get some tours. Since the GD Solitude is on my short list I definitely will tour them. Depending on schedules, we'll tour a couple others for comparison. On the way back to AL, I'll stop at the Vanleigh in MS since a Vilano is being considered also. My other is the Arctic Fox but that's in OR. Too far for this trip unfortunately.

Reference your comments about options at the factory, I would love to see a furniture delete with a decent credit allowance. I'd prefer to go shopping at lazyboy, or equivalent, for decent stuff right from the beginning. Or since I have room to store it, may pull the Lippert junk out and save it to put back in if I ever sell the next trailer. Guess I mean WHEN I sell it.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
We are on a trip through WI and MI. After MI I plan to spend a few days in the Elkhart area and get some tours. Since the GD Solitude is on my short list I definitely will tour them. Depending on schedules, we'll tour a couple others for comparison. On the way back to AL, I'll stop at the Vanleigh in MS since a Vilano is being considered also. My other is the Arctic Fox but that's in OR. Too far for this trip unfortunately.

Reference your comments about options at the factory, I would love to see a furniture delete with a decent credit allowance. I'd prefer to go shopping at lazyboy, or equivalent, for decent stuff right from the beginning. Or since I have room to store it, may pull the Lippert junk out and save it to put back in if I ever sell the next trailer. Guess I mean WHEN I sell it.
Well we had just finished our DRV tour where there were tons of options. I believe the specifics that GD did not offer as upgrade options was; no 8K axle option, no disc brake option, no tire upgrade option, no roof option other than TPO standard. There were others but I don't remember them...just felt like I would have liked it if they would offer the upgrades.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Toured Forest River Cedar Creek today. On the disappointing side was several standard options being dropped, will not even be an option. Reason given was price increases from tariffs on aluminum. RV industry is a big consumer of aluminum. No longer available on the Hathaway Ed. is the rear cap, the housing that the awning rolled up inside of, a change of interior color to a darker wood, light color no longer available....and other things I don't recall right now. A lot of changes to all lines for 2019. No disc brake option on anything. Discouraging comments made about Morryde independent suspension systems, full body paint, See Level tank monitoring, and anything a competitor is using.

On the positive side, I still like the Champagne and the Hathaway, but will have to see when we get to Hershey.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
We purchased a previously owned 2016 Cedar Creek 38FBD in Dec. of 2017. I broke one of the large window (mower threw a rock). We were leaving on a two month trip in two weekend and we were very concerned. I called Forest River and they sent the replacement window without charge. We were beyond surprised and appreciative.
kksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
What, exactly, made the plant a complete disaster?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #26

Well man with no RV you can bad mouth a product you have never owned towed or camped in. Just running your mouth with nothing but generalities to back it up. Maybe if you based your opinion by speaking to people that actually own the product you may be able to make a more informed judgement instead you take a factory tour run your mouth disparaging a Company and product .
I got a flash for you GD uses the same frames, lights staples ,plumbing, stoves ,Refrigerators, ACs and too many other components mention that Cardinal uses .
They also pay piece work just like most. They don't have any whiz bang way of assembling them. Listening to a CEO talk up his company that they are the greatest advancement since the wheel. Hasn't lost one employee is laughable. What do you think he is going to say his company sucks !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #27

Quote:
I believe that anyone seriously considering the purchase of any RV should absolutely tour the plant before they purchase. I was on tours with some folks who purchased their RV and then took the tour (when they brought the RV back for repairs), and I saw body language and expressions of concern, disappointment, etc. of what they learned about their RV from the tour. This wasn't at Grand Design.

As for Grand Design, yes it's worth the visit. There was a very large group between 25 to 35 folks, by far larger than any other factory tour I've been on. The tours start at the corporate office. The CEO Don Clark just happened to be on his way out of the office and ran into our large group. He stopped and spoke for about an hour telling us how he and his partners started the company. He was outstanding. The company is incredibly well managed, one of the best, and they have grown. Large modern facilities, work force that Don said he has not lost a single employee (so no turn over problems here). It's an impressive operation and product. Having said that there were a few disappointment, but mostly around the lack of options to upgrade some features from the factory. I don't believe they are deal killers for me at this point. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Well man with no RV you can bad mouth a product you have never owned towed or camped in.
Now let's not get into a hissy fit here just because he doesn't like how a product you happened to purchase was built. Everyone here is free to their opinion, and everyone has a different one. That's the point.

I for one thank you manwithnorv for giving back to community with what I see as valuable insight to the factories ( that I don't have time to visit). Keep it coming. Post pictures if you can?
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote