Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2005, 04:47 AM   #1

My parents bought their first 5th Wheel (sorry, can't remember the brand/kind) and are heading out in January for their first 3 month trip. I would like to get them something for the trailer for Christmas ($200max) and thought I'd come to the experts for some advice - would you have any recommendations? My father has always been obsessed with maps so he has plenty of those!

thanks in advance!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:47 AM   #2

My parents bought their first 5th Wheel (sorry, can't remember the brand/kind) and are heading out in January for their first 3 month trip. I would like to get them something for the trailer for Christmas ($200max) and thought I'd come to the experts for some advice - would you have any recommendations? My father has always been obsessed with maps so he has plenty of those!

thanks in advance!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:30 AM   #3

I will start a list for you here and others can add to it,,

Tool kit to do the minor repairs
First Aid Kit, just for the injuries that come from doing minor repairs
Road Safety kit; to make sure they are seen if they happen to have a breakdown on the road..
Emergency Road service subscription..Just in case
RV club Subscription..lots to choose from and helps to make friends
Gift certificate to any major store that deals in RV supplies and equipment(which would be my first choice). They can choose the item they want most and be very happy about it...
A cell phone if they dont have one yet.. its a very good investment for a traveller...
The list can go on and on..I am sure you will get lots of suggestions..

NEXT:::::

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
How about a digital camera to keep the memories fresh of the things they see on their trip? Being female,a toaster oven comes to mind if they don't have one,(not many people actually use their ovens),crock pot,slow cooker,coffee maker that mounts under the cabinets,and we like gift certificates for restaurants when we get tired of doing our own cooking-Cracker Barrell for example-they usually have rv parking. If they are going to be in cold climates JC Penneys has a great mattress warmer,turn it on a few minutes before you go to bed and climb beneath nice warm sheets.You can see it on JC Penney website,its called Restwarmer electric mattress pad-queen & king have dual controls AND its on sale now.The possibilites are endless.Have fun shopping!
Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:57 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about a stabilizing tripod for there towing pin??

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
For winter time camping how about a plug in ceramic heater, helps to save your propane. You can get them at any retail outlet like WalMart, very inexpensive, approximately 29.00 and up! We love ours during the winter months!

Have fun shopping!

Old 11-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #7

If your father is into maps thaen maybe a GPS handheld would be the ticket. Under 200 and makes mapping almost fun. As a retired Army Ranger and now RVer I never leave home without it.
Retired_Ranger
2000 Crossroads
97 Dodge 12 Valver
retired_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #8

A pair of Roto-Chox to stabilize the trailer, about $65 each. WWW.rotochox.com (I think)
FogNobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Maybe a couple really comforatable folding chairs for setting up underneath the awning. Camping stores and WalMarts have those and they are always a hot topic for RV'rs.

Of course then they'll need a string of lights to hang from the awning. You know you have "finally arrived as an RV'r" when you have those 'Elvis' or 'hot-pepper' lights hanging from your awning.

I've personally never really understood the pink-flamingo staked near the RV door, but clearly all the good-ol'-boys have one.

They would then be true blooded RV'rs.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:07 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I like FatDog's Pink Flamingo idea. Althought I think it should be presented at completion of their first journey. Kinda like being thrown in a swimming pool fully clothed after your first solo flight. With all these splendid ideas I know they will have... Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog

ahhh yes ...
perhaps the pink Flamingo would be only for them after their first trip.
Good point.
And maybe we could throw them in a swimming pool too then ??
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 AM   #12

Lindz, possibly a King-pin stablizer for the fifth wheel and a nice lounge chair, should keep you under $200 dollars, or two nice lounge chairs, good luck. Ed.S
Old 11-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #13

Can I just send Santa this entire listing? I've been real good this year!

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skip298:
&lt;snip&gt; ...Gift certificate to any major store that deals in RV supplies and equipment(which would be my first choice). They can choose the item they want most and be very happy about it...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that is the best choice. And to go further, get one at CAMPING WORLD ...they can shop on line or go directly to one of their many stores. This way, they will be able to get something they really need. Now what do you think of this idea?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote