Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #1

GM 2500 sag

I posted a similar question but based on the answers don't think I phrased it properly. Of those of you with a GM (Chevy or GMC) 2500 TV and FW AND a total payload (cargo and pin weight) around (+/-) 2000 lbs do you see much sag when hooked up and loaded for travel? If so, how much, if you ever measured it? What year and type of truck do you have? What size tires?

We have a work truck "17 F250 Supercab that has a huge crated weight put in the back during the winter snow plowing season and the bed drops to 35". That is almost a 3.5-4 inch drop but no one has ever weighed the crate.
My Ram hardly drops at all and isn't level with my lighter FW. But I often see my same rig going down the road hooked up to GM trucks looking very level.
And yes, I have done everything possible to adjust the height of the 5'er.
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 05:47 AM   #2

We have a 2015 Chev. 2500HD, 4x4 crewcab 6.5 ft bed, 6.0 gas engine. I installed Rancho shocks last summer after experiencing some of the worse roads coming home from Texas last spring. I did not have any sag, but then again my rig is not very big, Most of the time when I see sag towing a fifth wheel, its due to the rig being way over weight to what the truck is rated for(sticker door jam of truck has info) or bad suspension on the truck. I was going to install airbags, but the shocks helped a lot. There are some that swear by other brands but the Rancho's are working for me right now..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:38 AM   #3

As you said Ram doesn't move much at all! I have put a LOT of weight in the back of mine but it does not go below level. All of the Chevy trucks that I have drove & seen do not sag much either. I would say a little more than Ram does. Fords... oh yes! I have not driven one but I am always seeing them sag with very little weight in them. I would assume it is from softer springs but from most of the Ford owner I have talked to they do not ride well either so I don't know what their deal is. Everyone goes on about how coil springs are inferior. If they were so weak & inferior they would not put them on trains. Mine on my 2500 ride great & handle loads very well. I am thinking on buying a 3500 but I am afraid I am going to miss my coil springs if I do.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:47 AM   #4

Truck in my sig. When I hook up my 5er with a pin weight of 2,200 lbs, it sags 1.5" to almost level. Still rides a little high in the rear when hooked up. When it is empty, it looks like a cat in heat. I had put drop shackles on the back so it rode level when empty and then added airbags to keep it level, but there was very little space for the airbags when hooked to the 5er. So I removed the drop shackles.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
We have a 2015 Chev. 2500HD, 4x4 crewcab 6.5 ft bed, 6.0 gas engine. I installed Rancho shocks last summer after experiencing some of the worse roads coming home from Texas last spring. I did not have any sag, but then again my rig is not very big, Most of the time when I see sag towing a fifth wheel, its due to the rig being way over weight to what the truck is rated for(sticker door jam of truck has info) or bad suspension on the truck. I was going to install airbags, but the shocks helped a lot. There are some that swear by other brands but the Rancho's are working for me right now..
"Sag" was probably not the best choice of words. I guess that sounds like it means it goes below level. I agree that there are so many overweight setups out there, usually diesel, that have excessive sag. I was looking for what amount, if any, that the bed will drop with around 2K of payload in the bed. 2-3 inches would not put most 3/4 ton trucks below level and would be what they are made to do. And that would be great for my application. I want it to drop, just not below level.
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #6

You don't state your model RAM. I have automatic air bags..... Thing stays just 1" rear end high no matter what you do. (Other than going into Hal and pushing virtual buttons to do what it said in the manual it should do)
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #7

For years I towed with a 2002 Chev. 2500 HD CC, 4WD Duramax. Useful load was probably 1,900 if that. I did have tires that were upgraded from 3,042 each to 3415. useful load was not on door stickers back then, but GVWR was 9,200. With the old 32' trailer I dropped about 1 1/2". When I hooked up the new trailer, 38' toy hauler, I would drop about 3" measured from the bumper to the ground. When I got the new trailer I added Airlift bags to get level and the truck towed and handled good, but was overloaded and I was not comfortable with the situation so I upgraded to a 3500.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLtravels View Post
"Sag" was probably not the best choice of words. I guess that sounds like it means it goes below level. I agree that there are so many overweight setups out there, usually diesel, that have excessive sag. I was looking for what amount, if any, that the bed will drop with around 2K of payload in the bed. 2-3 inches would not put most 3/4 ton trucks below level and would be what they are made to do. And that would be great for my application. I want it to drop, just not below level.
Ok, when I hook my fifth wheel up, I might go down an inch, but don't think so...I ride a little high in the rear all the time

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
As you said Ram doesn't move much at all! I have put a LOT of weight in the back of mine but it does not go below level. All of the Chevy trucks that I have drove & seen do not sag much either. I would say a little more than Ram does. Fords... oh yes! I have not driven one but I am always seeing them sag with very little weight in them. I would assume it is from softer springs but from most of the Ford owner I have talked to they do not ride well either so I don't know what their deal is. Everyone goes on about how coil springs are inferior. If they were so weak & inferior they would not put them on trains. Mine on my 2500 ride great & handle loads very well. I am thinking on buying a 3500 but I am afraid I am going to miss my coil springs if I do.

If you decide to get a Ram 3500 get the air ride option it works very well . You hook up push alt load and it levels your truck .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
You say your Ram doesn’t move much, yet you have air bags? I had a 2001 2500 with a 2,700# and no bags, and dropped about 2”.
As suggested above when going to the Ram 3500 get the Air assist rear suspension, rides at the same level all the time.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
If you decide to get a Ram 3500 get the air ride option it works very well . You hook up push alt load and it levels your truck .
VERY nice system. Has quite a few features. The RAM 3500 manual is on line if you want to know exactly what it does.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote