Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Good Coach ?

Ya ho my bride and myself are buy a 2005 cougar high country coach in the next few days. It looks great it was well taken care of. My question this coach look solid just wondering form my friends here if that is a good brand 5th wheel coach ? thanks for any feedback . Chief Jr Brown
jr brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Well "coaches" usually are self powered but any RV is subject to the level of care of the previous owners. If it was well taken care of or if it was abused will not be brand specific. If you are unsure get it inspected by someone qualified. That may cost a couple of hundred dollars but could save a lot more than that if there are any issues.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #3

The Cougar is a mid, low end trailer. If you know nothing about trailers, and it sounds like you do not, spend the money and get a good appraisal before you go any further. Being a 2005, there are things that could be at the end of their life. Rubber roof, frigerator, batteries, tires are just a few items that you need to know their real condition. Roof replacement is $100 per foot, frig could be over $1000, tires, look at date code to get age, batteries?.

Happy shopping.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Well "coaches" usually are self powered but any RV is subject to the level of care of the previous owners. If it was well taken care of or if it was abused will not be brand specific. If you are unsure get it inspected by someone qualified. That may cost a couple of hundred dollars but could save a lot more than that if there are any issues.
Well I beg to differ any articles about R Ving that I have read a coach my be motor coacher or a 5th wheel coach
Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr brown View Post
Well I beg to differ any articles about R Ving that I have read a coach my be motor coacher or a 5th wheel coach
Been RV'ing since 1957, have never seen "coach" used anywhere but in a context with a motorized vehicle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We had a 2004 Cougar 5th wheel. The "high country" designation was Keystone's way of bringing in some of the options they had on the Montana High Country down to the Cougar line. Cougars of that era were pretty much smack in the middle of Keystone's 5th wheel line up. Neither entry level nor high line. Ours served us well & it was a good, but not top quality, RV. It's as good, not better or worse, as any other 5th wheel in that price range.

It would be advised to have it gone over by an RV tech, even if it costs you a couple hundred dollars for their time. As jlb27537 stated, it will have many items that may need servicing now, if not soon.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
They all require maintenance new and old. Have a blast! We are!
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Been RV'ing since 1957, have never seen "coach" used anywhere but in a context with a motorized vehicle.
I don't want to make anyone upset but even how to vids on you tube they call 5th wheelers a coach. When they advertise 5th wheelers here in Michigan they are coachs. I went to my RV dealer and asked what they consider a coach. A motor home is called a motor coach and 5th wheels are considered a coach also. Thanks Chief
Old 04-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #9

Interesting that this evolved into terminology about RV types....
Having owned an '05 Mobile Suites fifth wheel/coach/non-motorized coach/trailer/etc, at 13 years of age, just about anything could be in need of repair/replacement. Or, it could have been taken care of by someone very attentive to maintenance.
There are a lot of Cougars on the road, but they are not known for being high-quality, but not sure what that term means nowadays.
Just be careful to check everything out, be sure the fridge runs on both elec and propane and slide works if equipped with one, also AC cools properly. Those are the most expensive systems with the exception of hidden water damage.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never heard a "coach" had to be self-motorized

According to Merriam-Webster the term Coach came from the horse drawn days...obviously would include a trailer.

According to a popular RV site, with a good definition section, a "Coach" is any RV with enclosed passenger accommodations

Anyone have a differing definition citation?

So, back on-topic...I submit that the quality of any model year 2005 RV will be based on the previous owner's maint. It is just that simple. Be sure to check the unit very well.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote