Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #43

No problem! Seems that quality control is a little off for them with these. The fact that eTrailer had an answer ready for my issue tells me that there must be alot of people that experience this.

On another forum, a member has had theirs replaced twice to to leaking and poor blow off valve placement. I'm hoping to have a solution prior to towing again, but I'm going to have a plug in my toolkit just in case.

Before I checked the pressure, I was pretty concerned about my pin weight and the overall trailer weight, thinking that was the issue. I'm happy to know that I'm probably ok. Still gonna weight in and see when I'm back on the road.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #44

Come to think of it I don't think our pop-off valve works either. Really not sure why Reese even uses them, Airlift and Firestone are the worlds leaders in airbags and they don't. None of my tires have pop-off valves.

We had issues with the valve core when new and finally spent 20 cents and put in a new one the pop-off used to work but I noticed one day I put like 60 PSI in it and it didn't pop off so I just watch it when I fill. My Firestones are rated to 100 PSI I would bet so is the one in the GooseBox.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #45

Not sure if this is the reason for the quality control issues or not, but 4 years ago when I got my Goosebox I had to wait a while before it came. Reese was making a transition for manufacturing to be located in Mexico.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #46

So, got an email from Reese today. They're sending me a new valve. They also said that while filling, it should hold up to 70 PSI, and then bleed off while towing when you hit large bumps.

On another subject - anyone consider hooking up a wireless compressor to theirs? Now that I've removed my airbags from the truck, I have an Airlift Wireless One compressor that's extra. Might be nice to adjust on the fly and not have to crawl in between the fiver and the truck to add air pressure.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
So, got an email from Reese today. They're sending me a new valve. They also said that while filling, it should hold up to 70 PSI, and then bleed off while towing when you hit large bumps.

On another subject - anyone consider hooking up a wireless compressor to theirs? Now that I've removed my airbags from the truck, I have an Airlift Wireless One compressor that's extra. Might be nice to adjust on the fly and not have to crawl in between the fiver and the truck to add air pressure.
That would be pretty sweet to setup the wireless compressor to manage the air bag! Why did you remove the bags from the truck?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
That would be pretty sweet to setup the wireless compressor to manage the air bag! Why did you remove the bags from the truck?
Took them off due to trading it in for a dually. Time for the problem child to move on.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Took them off due to trading it in for a dually. Time for the problem child to move on.
Sticking with Ford?

My Ram has been trouble free...
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
Sticking with Ford?

My Ram has been trouble free...
Sticking with Ford. My truck has had no mechanical issues, just dealer induced paint and body issues. A dealer screwed it up while being serviced, and every fix has further damaged it.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Sticking with Ford. My truck has had no mechanical issues, just dealer induced paint and body issues. A dealer screwed it up while being serviced, and every fix has further damaged it.
I want to hear that story!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I want to hear that story!!!!!!!
This is what I posted on the dealers and Fords social media accounts that finally got some attention:

I purchased a 2016 Ford f350 brand new in October 2016 from Mak Haik Ford, Georgetown, TX. As part of the purchase, the dealer had a sunroof installed (more on that later). Three months later, I noticed that there was rust bubbling the paint from underneath a factory installed cab marker light. I took the truck to the Ford dealer in the city that I was currently located in, World Ford, Pensacola Fl. They inspected the truck and obtained warranty approval for repairing the roof. So far, so good, other than the fact that my three-month-old truck was rusting.

I took the truck in for repair, and a week long repair turned into a month. Yep, I lost the use of my truck that I tow trailers with for a month. The repair took so long due to an initial issue with overspray (repaint #2), and further corrosion discovered (repaint #3), topped off by breaking the windshield. I finally got my truck back after closing the day before I had to leave town, towing my fifth wheel. At pick up, I took a quick look at the roof in the dark, called it good, and headed out.

The next morning, while loading up in full daylight, I noticed 3 dime sized paint chips, all the way to the primer in the passenger side front and rear doors. It looked like a tool cart or something banged against the side of the truck, as they were all at the same height. I had to leave town due to schedule, so I couldn’t get if fixed then. I did call the collision manager at World Ford, and he agreed to fix it when I could get back in. I took an extended road trip with our trailer, and the truck has been mechanically wonderful!

A few months later, in Tacoma, Washington, the truck began to leak into the passenger cabin on the passenger side. I took it into the local Ford dealer, Lakewood Ford, for diagnosis and repair, and they found two cab marker lights loose with torn seals – the ones that World Ford had “repaired” when painting the roof. They repaired them under warranty, the truck stopped leaking, and we were on our way.

I finally made it back to Pensacola, Florida a few months ago, and scheduled my truck for repair of the paint chips. Took it in, and they did repaint the doors – I now have a truck I bought new, never wrecked, that has had the roof and two doors painted. Yep. A quarter of my new truck has been repainted, thanks a lot for the hit in resale value. Appreciate it.

Picked my truck up, and while driving home, the previously mentioned leak started again. Also found that the passenger side front window wouldn’t roll down. Yay. Called body shop again, back to body shop. They fixed the window and blamed the leak on the sunroof seal/trim ring. Well, they painted the entire roof, so I would assume that they replaced the sunroof trim ring/seal, so they should fix that, right? Come to find out, they reused the seal/trim ring, which is not advised, and didn’t install it properly.

I just returned from the original installer of the sunroof, who Ford contracted to install the roof at purchase, and they can’t find a leak. The trim ring is damaged, but the drains for the sunroof can handle the amount of water intrusion. So, the problem is elsewhere. I suspect the cab marker lights.

The final bit of good news here – while checking over the sunroof, the paint under the marker lights is rolling back from them and bubbling, a sign of improperly cured paint. So here I am, needing it to be painted yet again, so the cycle can repeat. Did I mention that I bought this truck new, and all work performed on it has been thru authorized Ford dealers?

So, Ford, what is the solution here? How are you going to make this issue right for a loyal customer that purchased a brand new truck? I have a truck that has multiple issues, all caused by Ford Dealerships. My resale/trade value has been diminished thru Ford Dealers poor workmanship, and I fear that I’m now saddled with a truck that will have continued issues for as long as I own it. I bought a brand new truck so that I wouldn’t have this problem, and so far my new truck has been in the shop more than any used truck I’ve owned in the last 25 years. Eagerly awaiting an answer.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #53

What a mess. Dealers doing paint and body work is always trouble.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #54

Yeah, it's been a pain. There's more to it, but that's the reason I'm getting a new truck. I'll never let that dealer ever touch a vehicle again, that's for sure.

Back on topic, I think I will put the compressor on the Goosebox and see how it works out, provided there's a convenient mounting location. May just put the compressor in the front compartment and fish an airline to the Goosebox, but have to see if the remote works at that distance.

Also just got an email from Reese - they're Fedexing a new pressure relief valve, so I should have it tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #55

The compressor is part of the airbag system. Did it not go with the bags you took off?
If its still on the truck you can just run an air line with a quick connect along your electrical connector from the truck to the rig.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #56
JDT

I installed a Wireless One compressor to operate my Trailer Saver BD3 air ride hitch. Works great. If you are getting a new Ford try to get one with the upfitter switches. Really handy for hooking up things like the compressor.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote