Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I also use the Doran TPMS. I always set the tire pressures using a good quality digital tire pressure gauge.

This is the one I chose. Amazon.com: Accutire MS-5515B Truck and RV Digital Tire Gauge with LED Light and Bleed Button: Automotive

The TPMS sensors & monitor are generally close but not perfectly exact. I trust the digital gauge totally versus the TPMS.

The TPMS is there to alert me to unexpected changes in tire pressures not to report exact pressures.

I use an IR temperature gun to measure both sidewall temps near the tread and also hub temps checking for bearings. The sunny side will ALWAYS be hotter than the shady side. You only look for something that is WAY different than the others on the same side. For those systems with external sensors that measure tire temperature, the temperature at the sensor will seldom be the actual tire temperature. After all, how can it be with the sensor out on the end of the valve stem!! An IR gun will give you closer tire temperature readings providing that you take the reading of the sidewall near the top where the tread is attached.

Just my opinions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just completed my first long trip with my pressure system from Florida to Branson and back. It is amazing how the pressures and temps change.

On the way back I got an alarm that my right rear toad tire went to 18 psi. Since it wasn't flat yet I was able to pull off at a safe place down the road and change the tire. The tire was fixed free by home dealer. The last time I traveled without the system it cost it cost me 300 due to lack of warning and I ruined two front tires.

So the system is starting to pay for itself.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #31

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote