Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Grand Design Fireplace

I have been looking at the Grand Design 5th wheels, mostly the 376TH.

They all have a fireplace that put out 5000 BTU with the 376 listed as 10,000BTU. Does anyone know if these are gas or electric? The brochure does not say.

For those of you that do have the fireplace option, do you use it very often?
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #2

Has to be a typo. 5000BTU fireplaces are 1500W. Thats 15A. I'm not sure you could get 10,000BTU's without 220V
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

We had an electric fireplace in our old 2008 Jayco Greyhawk 31 SS. We use the fireplace quite often to get the chill off the RV during this spring and fall since we are camping for 6 months from April to October. We use the electric fireplace to conserve the propane that the furnace would use since is was not easy to unhook and drive to refill the onboard propane tank. Now we have a destination model trailer and plan to do the same thing and use the electric fireplace on chill nights and the furnace for when it gets really cold. Of course now I will only have to take one of the small propane tanks off the trailer and drive it to the refill station.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catalo...its-232-1.html

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

Thank you Mister T
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

We use our fire place a lot. At most RV Parks the electric come with the rent unless you are staying long term so using the fire place the cost is already covered. A couple of weeks ago we were staying in an RV Park in Nevada where the temps got down to 34 degs F at night. After the first night we just left the fire place run, on low, all night. It kept the inside of the trailer at 58 deg. The dog was much happier and so were we. He got cold the first night and ended up sleeping with us. It was nice to get our bed back. LOL
Old 02-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #7

After a little more research it looks like the fireplace is made by Greystone. From what I found on their site they are all electric heaters at 1500w and 15a max draw.

It is a standard option in the 376TH. It sound like something that would be nice to use, but only seem practical when on a 50a hook up.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

Yes, 5000 BTU Electric. Works great when on 50 amp site or running the generator. We use ours to knock the chill out or we use without heat when relaxing and watching a movie. We love ours.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #9

1.5 kW = 5118.2124 BTU/hour. At 115V about 13A.

We enjoy our electric FP, use it often. Wintering here in AZ we didn't even need the main LPG furnace this winter. Sure $.18 a KWH is a little high but so is the PIA factor of hauling around the LPG cylinders to TSC. Currently $2.04 a Gal.

Happy trails.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:29 AM   #10

I will be mostly boon docking. The only time my current trailer has ever been plugged in, is at home on 15a to keep the batteries up. That only during the winter months when my solar is coved in snow.

I do have the run the generator to use the AC, so heat would be no different I would just need to figure out which noise is better, how much heat I need, and if anything else need to be used at the time.

I only have gas heat in my current unit and it is not a problem since I only use it occasionally. There have been weekends cold camping that I can run though 10 gallons of propane in 2-3 days. Now this unit is not a insulated as ones I am looking at, and we were in sub freezing weather.

Tags
ace, fire, replace