Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #15

To the OP, we have been happy with our Grand Design both unit and customer service.

We've had a few issues with a couple of components made by Lippert Components (failed seal on hydraulic ram, and a bad self-resetting breaker on 6 point leveling system) and both times customer service has been super helpful in troubleshooting the issue and providing support even outside of the warranty period. Returned calls within hours not days. Lippert has provided great troubleshooting as well.

Good luck in your search.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #16

Wish I could answer your question because we have a new 230RL in storage for the past few months.

Our first trailer was the GD 2500RL the TT version of the 230RL 5th. We were very impressed with GD quality in both the 2500RL and 230RL. About 5000 miles (4 states) on the 2500RL last year without ONE problem.

We made the mistake of thinking that a 2004 Dodge 4x4 1500 Hemi 3.91 was an OK TV for 5850/7500 lbs trailer, it was not :( We ended up with a 2017 F250 4x4 diesel. Its like night and day We got a very good trade in on the 2500RL for the 230RL.

Best of LUCK
Dave
Old 01-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #17

My friend just bought a GD solitude .This is the first time that the RV has been used. He brought it to my RV park for me to a PDI for him. because the dealer would not do a PDI with him @ the dealership. I am not impressed with GD at all. #1 The roof is in very bag shape (all the wood seems are separated and pushing the rubber up and there are air gaps in between the sheet of plywood, the rubber has separated from the plywood and has filled with air ) . #2 Curb side slide (the wall and floor @ the rear end has separated and has water damage due to poor construction. This I think the dealer knew about and that's why they did not extend the slide to do a PDI @ the dealership. the slide needs a new sub floor and the corner and the tiles on the inside need replacement due to damage from the slide. #3 Front cap. the painter did not prep the surface properly before painting. there are bubbles through out the entire paint job top to bottom. He called GD and the person on the phone was of no help they blame Keth for no do proper maintenance . He explained that he just bought the RV and they said there was nothing they could do for him. So he called the dealer and they said there was nothing they could do for him because they do not have a warranty repair shop. Does anyone have a good contact person @ GD that my friend can contact to get help!!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #18

That little voice tells me that's not the whole story. WHY take the rig when the dealer would not do a PDI ? That in itself is a HUGE RED flag.

Dave
Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varago View Post
That little voice tells me that's not the whole story. WHY take the rig when the dealer would not do a PDI ? That in itself is a HUGE RED flag.

Dave
He should have declined delivery without the PDI.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #20

If he was new to RV's then I don't blame him. My 1st PDI was a big wide eyed mess. Sure I was told about how things work but if you don't, then you don't what to expect.

Like I've said before, spend some time on any brand forum and it's pretty obvious that most everything coming out of Indiana are all the same. Hit or miss.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If he was new to RV's then I don't blame him. My 1st PDI was a big wide eyed mess. Sure I was told about how things work but if you don't, then you don't what to expect.

Like I've said before, spend some time on any brand forum and it's pretty obvious that most everything coming out of Indiana are all the same. Hit or miss.
He is new to Rving and did not know about a PDI until he talked to me . I sent a email to GD and they contacted me with in 5 minutes and the factory rep. is taking care of all the stuff. GD was really upset that something like this left the factory.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalpharv View Post
He is new to Rving and did not know about a PDI until he talked to me . I sent a email to GD and they contacted me with in 5 minutes and the factory rep. is taking care of all the stuff. GD was really upset that something like this left the factory.
This is what I have heard about GD as well that they step up and take care of their owners. One reason I bought a GD. That said I had Rockwood step up and help me out as well on my last trailer so GD is not the only one.
Calbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #23

Thanks

I appreciate the comments. I am not worried about having enough truck. I have an 07 Chev Classic 3500 Duramax with a little extra horsepower in it. I have had a fifth wheel before (a 2006 Topaz by Triple E). As far as I am concerned they made some of the very best and were a true 4 season RV. They were made for Canadian seasons (I live in northern British Columbia). With respect to all, the only brand that seems to compare these days is Arctic Fox. However, I have seen a few Grand Designs up in my neck of the woods and am wondering how they stand up?
oldfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatguy View Post
I appreciate the comments. I am not worried about having enough truck. I have an 07 Chev Classic 3500 Duramax with a little extra horsepower in it. I have had a fifth wheel before (a 2006 Topaz by Triple E). As far as I am concerned they made some of the very best and were a true 4 season RV. They were made for Canadian seasons (I live in northern British Columbia). With respect to all, the only brand that seems to compare these days is Arctic Fox. However, I have seen a few Grand Designs up in my neck of the woods and am wondering how they stand up?
The Grand Design Solitude is a 4 season coach. It has heated tanks and basement. I will find out soon. We are headed to St Louis area. Brrrrrr....