Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 02:59 AM   #1

Grand Design Reflection 230RL

Has anyone had any experience with this RV? Also, what about Grand Design in General?
oldfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
We're on our second GD product. Used a Reflection about eleven months with no issues. The deal for us was the step ups by the bed. It doesn't seem like a big deal but it does make it a chore to make up , and sometimes old folks stub their toe and stumble , or forget it steps down the other direction. Bed slide also gives more room on the sides of bed.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

One of the worst booth dinette cushions made. I'm a buck 55 and sink to the cushion support in 30 secs. No access to the fridge, bathroom or bedroom while on the road unless moving the slide out. TV is too high in our opinion. Thin baggage doors. Small spring hangers.
Plusses, nice open floor plan for a smaller 5th wheel. decent size closet in bedroom. Easily towable with 3/4 ton trucks. Fantastic owners forum.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

I have a Reflection 150 Series 295RL which I believe is a similar floor plan. I absolutely love this RV. The layout and quality for the price are exactly what we wanted. We purchased it new in May 2018 and have been on a dozen trips with it since.
The only comment I have for a shortcoming would be the outside storage is somewhat limited. But if you really need that, the Solitude has plenty.
Schuess60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We have found GD - in general - to be a very good company that builds a good product. They are attentive to customer service and have a good support community at www.granddesignowners.com

I can't speak to the floor plan you mentioned.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

After two years of research on GD they're the ones we're going with. If you're able, step up to the Solitude....lots of upgrades over the Reflection, starting at the ground.

We're going with the Solitude 310gk, custom order though.

Best o luck!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #7

The 230 is from the 150 line. Next up is the standard Reflection. After that is the Solitude.
To jump from a Reflection 150 model 230 to the lightest Solitude which would be the 2930RL. About $40,000 more and 4500 lbs heavier with a pin weight thats 1,000 lbs heavier as well.
On top of that the OP would need a DRW instead of a properly equipped 1/2 ton at the minimum.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #8

Every manufacturer has their price point and target audience. There is entry level and their top one, GD is no exception. When you see the tag half ton towable, lite, X-lite, etc., think under built. The way they get the lighter weight is by lighter (flimsier) frames, plastic instead of stainless sinks, thin cushions, etc. For the occasional "camper" that might be fine BUT if a person plans to spend any length of time in it beyond a weekend or such, that light weight will become a reliability and durability issue quickly. People continuously state floor plan as the primary selection criteria and I say BS big time. To paraphrase Realestate, it's structure, structure, structure. That prettiest most lovable floor plan on a tinfoil frame will become hated quickly. Flimsy frames bend, flex, cause binding is slides and doors, cause seals to fail and leaking to start.

In my opinion a buyer should look for the best built structure within their price range and seek the plan which will work for them. Try to ignore the bling.

For Grand Design the Solitude is their top trim line and also their most expensive. That trim is probably heavier duty than most people need or want but like in the topic of trucks, you can't have too much truck, or solid build. The weekender or 2 weeker will appreciate the more solid feel when towing and using the trailer.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Every manufacturer has their price point and target audience. There is entry level and their top one, GD is no exception. When you see the tag half ton towable, lite, X-lite, etc., think under built. The way they get the lighter weight is by lighter (flimsier) frames, plastic instead of stainless sinks, thin cushions, etc. For the occasional "camper" that might be fine BUT if a person plans to spend any length of time in it beyond a weekend or such, that light weight will become a reliability and durability issue quickly. People continuously state floor plan as the primary selection criteria and I say BS big time. To paraphrase Realestate, it's structure, structure, structure. That prettiest most lovable floor plan on a tinfoil frame will become hated quickly. Flimsy frames bend, flex, cause binding is slides and doors, cause seals to fail and leaking to start.

In my opinion a buyer should look for the best built structure within their price range and seek the plan which will work for them. Try to ignore the bling.

For Grand Design the Solitude is their top trim line and also their most expensive. That trim is probably heavier duty than most people need or want but like in the topic of trucks, you can't have too much truck, or solid build. The weekender or 2 weeker will appreciate the more solid feel when towing and using the trailer.
Absolutely, positively, without a doubt.....RIGHT ON!!!!!!

Way way too many folks buy an RV based on Floorplan/Layout first and foremost and don't give two hoots (showing my age here) about what's holding it off the ground or otherwise!

Look at QUALITY BUILD FIRST then, and only then, look at the best floorplan that fits your needs!!!

Old 01-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #10

Trouble is newbies really don't know what to look for. Some do, some don't. The lucky/smart ones visit forums and gain some knowledge.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Trouble is newbies really don't know what to look for. Some do, some don't. The lucky/smart ones visit forums and gain some knowledge.
Correct!

Old 01-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The 230 is from the 150 line. Next up is the standard Reflection. After that is the Solitude.
To jump from a Reflection 150 model 230 to the lightest Solitude which would be the 2930RL. About $40,000 more and 4500 lbs heavier with a pin weight thats 1,000 lbs heavier as well.
On top of that the OP would need a DRW instead of a properly equipped 1/2 ton at the minimum.
Right for the most part, except you don't need a DRW for the S-Class and/or the Solitude 310gk....both of those GVWR out at 15K and Pins are within specs as long as you are using a One Ton Diesel.....so, yes....an SRW will work fine with any of those.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Right for the most part, except you don't need a DRW for the S-Class and/or the Solitude 310gk....both of those GVWR out at 15K and Pins are within specs as long as you are using a One Ton Diesel.....so, yes....an SRW will work fine with any of those.

And don't fall for the 3/4T trap as a well equipped F-250 SD won't tow much more than a 1/2T. Don't believe me, look at the door jamb "Tire Loading Information" sticker of a few.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
And don't fall for the 3/4T trap as a well equipped F-250 SD won't tow much more than a 1/2T. Don't believe me, look at the door jamb "Tire Loading Information" sticker of a few.
Agreed.....One Ton Diesel all the way for this application!

You hear all the time from 3/4 Ton Diesel owners....."I don't need a One Ton Diesel, my 3/4 Ton is basically the same thing"!!! Cannot believe some of the rigs I've seen 250's/2500's towing!!!