Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheels

Wanted to see what the general opinion was of the Grand Design 5th wheel travel trailers might be. I know they are a newer company and thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with them. Any information would be great. Thanks.
Tillerman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

Only had our's (2016) since the end of April, but have already spent 28 nights in it and put on 2000 miles. Very happy with it so far. It's a very solid unit.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Only had our's (2016) since the end of April, but have already spent 28 nights in it and put on 2000 miles. Very happy with it so far. It's a very solid unit.
Do you mind me asking what model you have and how you decided on GD vs other manufacturers?
Old 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Momentum, 350M. Needed a toy hauler, loved the floor plan. However, there are many qualities that we had on our "must have" list and with Grand Design, we were able to check all items off the list. Visit their website and read about the construction and you will find they make a good unit. We wanted aluminum side walls, frameless windows, high insulation values, roof design and how the roof and side walls come together (you will find that better made units IMHO have the roof material come over the side walls with the seem a few inches down vs. at the 90 where stress is the greatest, insulated underbelly, residential shower, solid surface counter tops, heated basement/neatness of wiring in the basement storage compartment, 6 point auto level, LED lighting, slam hatches keyed to match all locks on the camper, ducted a/c, heat registers not in the floor but in base of cabinets (this was a bonus), and several other things, but mainly construction (Grand Design includes a 3 year structural warranty).
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Solitude 369RL-R. Going out for our shakedown cruise this coming weekend. We are long time Airstreamers (Still have our Airstream Diesel Pusher Motorhome (bet you didn't know they made them in the ast) but we wanted something with more space for the 3-4 months we spend in Central California each winter so it will locate permanently (semipermanently) down there. We looked at LOTS of 5th wheels, some significantly more expensive, many in the a=same price category. It became a simple choice for us. When it comes to build quality no one came close (without spending close to twice what we did). It isn't as well built as our Airstream but we did not expect that. For the money I am not certain you can do as well, and I doubt you can do better. The differences between Solitude and Reflection are mostly in finishes and amenities but the one feature that drove us to the Solitude was our RV techs recommendation that we get a 6 point chassis support system as Lippert frames (which are under the majority of 5th wheels) are a bit too flexible for his liking. The Solitude comes with a standard 6 point hydraulic jacking system vs the 4 point electric leveling system in the Reflection. Is it really important...I don't know really. My wife also preferred the finishes in the Solitude line, but that is personal taste.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #6

You can get a six point auto level in the reflection. We have a six point auto level on our Reflection 323BHS that we purchased at the end of February. This is our first trailer (or any kind of rv for that matter) and I spent a considerable amount of time researching everything I could. While every brand had people complaining about things that were wrong with there trailer, Grand Design had by far the most people posting positive reviews about the trailer, or how it was so much better than their old trailer. When we went to go look at trailers, the Reflection looked good and had a solid feel to it. The other trailers in a similar price bracket didn't feel as good to me and the ones that did feel as good were considerably more expensive.

As it turns out, about the same time we bought our trailer, my friend bought almost the identical floor plan, but made by Jayco. When our families all went out camping together, we were able to compare our two trailers. What I liked about his was the frameless windows and the cabinets directly across from the door on the bulkhead included seat/coat rack area where you could hang jackets and throw shoes in the storage underneath the bench (mine has additional counter space and cabinets). On the other hand, he only has the four point leveling and you could tell the difference the extra two made, not a deal breaker, but you could tell. On his trailer, the control panel is just mounted on the side of the cabinet whereas mine is nicely hidden behind a cabinet door. I also like that there are no furnace vents on the floor in the main common area. It makes it easier to sweep. In the end, I would say that they are very comparable trailers, but he paid more for his. While I do like some things better about his trailer, it wouldn't be worth it to me with the trade offs and additional cost.

The other great thing about Grand Design, is they have built their reputation on customer service. You rarely get a perfect rv, but from what I've read, they are willing to put in the effort to get it there. I read numerous testimonials where the dealer wouldn't do the warranty repairs, but the company came through to correct the problem when contacted. There is a Grand Design Owner's forum. It is not run/maintained by Grand Design, but they do have employees regularly monitor and reply. They also assist people to get in touch with other people in the company who can help them with their problem more directly. The only issue I've had with the trailer so far is that the water heater doesn't seem to be working on electric, only propane. So now that I'm home, I need to get in to be fixed and it's nice feeling comfortable that it will be taken care of.
Boomer3801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #7

We bought our GD Reflection in March. It's our first brand new rv, and it was the first one we looked at that we both liked everything about. Features, floor plan, options, interior trim, colors, storage, fit and finish inside and out, etc.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

Grand Design is coming out in Sept with new 2017 units that are getting interior and exterior color changes. Long overdue in my book. Might be worth the wait if possible.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #9

Grand Design Owners Club
We bought our 2015 337RLS Reflection in FEB of 2015 so this is 2nd season for us and we absolutely love it. Had a few minor problems but got those taken care of. We love the layout and quality! You cant go wrong! TJ
tjsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer3801 View Post
You can get a six point auto level in the reflection. We have a six point auto level on our Reflection 323BHS that we purchased at the end of February. This is our first trailer (or any kind of rv for that matter) and I spent a considerable amount of time researching everything I could. While every brand had people complaining about things that were wrong with there trailer, Grand Design had by far the most people posting positive reviews about the trailer, or how it was so much better than their old trailer. When we went to go look at trailers, the Reflection looked good and had a solid feel to it. The other trailers in a similar price bracket didn't feel as good to me and the ones that did feel as good were considerably more expensive.

As it turns out, about the same time we bought our trailer, my friend bought almost the identical floor plan, but made by Jayco. When our families all went out camping together, we were able to compare our two trailers. What I liked about his was the frameless windows and the cabinets directly across from the door on the bulkhead included seat/coat rack area where you could hang jackets and throw shoes in the storage underneath the bench (mine has additional counter space and cabinets). On the other hand, he only has the four point leveling and you could tell the difference the extra two made, not a deal breaker, but you could tell. On his trailer, the control panel is just mounted on the side of the cabinet whereas mine is nicely hidden behind a cabinet door. I also like that there are no furnace vents on the floor in the main common area. It makes it easier to sweep. In the end, I would say that they are very comparable trailers, but he paid more for his. While I do like some things better about his trailer, it wouldn't be worth it to me with the trade offs and additional cost.

The other great thing about Grand Design, is they have built their reputation on customer service. You rarely get a perfect rv, but from what I've read, they are willing to put in the effort to get it there. I read numerous testimonials where the dealer wouldn't do the warranty repairs, but the company came through to correct the problem when contacted. There is a Grand Design Owner's forum. It is not run/maintained by Grand Design, but they do have employees regularly monitor and reply. They also assist people to get in touch with other people in the company who can help them with their problem more directly. The only issue I've had with the trailer so far is that the water heater doesn't seem to be working on electric, only propane. So now that I'm home, I need to get in to be fixed and it's nice feeling comfortable that it will be taken care of.
I am actually looking at and considering the 323BHS! I would love to hear any additional information or suggestions you feel are must haves on that model!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #11

337 Here. Nothing but positive things to say. Customer service is top-notch. Keep in mind most RV's use the same systems and components. What seperates GD from the heard is their customer service after the purchase. In fact, I bought used and out of warranty. They still sent me misc. parts for free.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
I am actually looking at and considering the 323BHS! I would love to hear any additional information or suggestions you feel are must haves on that model!

There's really very little I would change about it. I need to swap out the underneath sewer hose storage tube because it is about 1/2" too short to hold my 15' rhinoflex sewer hose. I want to get a pvc pipe long enough to hold both my normal hose and my spare extension which would free up a bunch of space in my pass-through storage. Also, I don't know it you are completely new to the whole rv'ing experience like I am or if you are a seasoned pro, but I have already needed both my spare water hose extension and my sewer hose extension to reach hook-ups located at the rear of the trailer. The only other thing I'm seriously considering is replacing the dinette with free-standing chairs. I'm not storing anything underneath the benches and with 3 kids, it would give us more flexibility with seating when not eating. I like that the bunk over the couch flips up far enough to actually use the couch, you just need to move any sleeping bags from the bunk. I like that the only bunk that doesn't have drawers underneath it is the flip-up bunk. I love the huge pantry. So far, the single a/c has been plenty for us, but we are also not going to Phoenix in July. I would highly recommend this trailer as we have been exceedingly pleased with everything so far. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them. Happy hunting!
Boomer3801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer3801 View Post
There's really very little I would change about it. I need to swap out the underneath sewer hose storage tube because it is about 1/2" too short to hold my 15' rhinoflex sewer hose. I want to get a pvc pipe long enough to hold both my normal hose and my spare extension which would free up a bunch of space in my pass-through storage. Also, I don't know it you are completely new to the whole rv'ing experience like I am or if you are a seasoned pro, but I have already needed both my spare water hose extension and my sewer hose extension to reach hook-ups located at the rear of the trailer. The only other thing I'm seriously considering is replacing the dinette with free-standing chairs. I'm not storing anything underneath the benches and with 3 kids, it would give us more flexibility with seating when not eating. I like that the bunk over the couch flips up far enough to actually use the couch, you just need to move any sleeping bags from the bunk. I like that the only bunk that doesn't have drawers underneath it is the flip-up bunk. I love the huge pantry. So far, the single a/c has been plenty for us, but we are also not going to Phoenix in July. I would highly recommend this trailer as we have been exceedingly pleased with everything so far. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them. Happy hunting!
I am as new as they come to RVing, all your ideas make sense. I was looking at the 323BHS and the 357BHS. However, it seems that they have decided to stop making both of those units and are making a hybrid of the two. They inform me they will be rolling out the 311BHS in a few weeks. Has a full and half bath, and measures in around 36-37'. I think that might be the perfect fit for me. Only negatives I can see is the small shower and queen bed.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
I am as new as they come to RVing, all your ideas make sense. I was looking at the 323BHS and the 357BHS. However, it seems that they have decided to stop making both of those units and are making a hybrid of the two. They inform me they will be rolling out the 311BHS in a few weeks. Has a full and half bath, and measures in around 36-37'. I think that might be the perfect fit for me. Only negatives I can see is the small shower and queen bed.
Queen bed is not so bad. Mine came with a king but there was no room to make the bed or walk around. Tossed the king, trimmed platform, and installed a residential queen.

Tags
5th wheel