Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #15

We looked at both the Grand Design and the Pinnacle last year and ended up purchasing a 2019 Pinnacle.
Our deciding factor was the quality fit and finish of the interior, the Pinnacle just seemed to be better finished. As mentioned the unit pulls like a dream, I could not ask for a better towing unit.
Maxduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Purchased the Jayco this past Janurary. If I had it to do over I would go with the Grand Design. Like the hydraulic levelers and slides much better than the electric. Jayco is terrible on the original warranty. I have had my unit in for warranty on June 12th. It still isn't finished. Also the hinge design on their cargo doors are bad and will wear the paint off on the first camping trip.
RandyHC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I'm selling our 2018 310gk with Onan 5.5 and Winegard Traveler for Dish. I've never had any issues with it, and I'm original owner, non-smoker. Includes PullRite hitch if you want it.
We are just moving to a floor plan more suitable to our needs.
Asking $53k.
We ended up just trading it in.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #18

Looked at both, bought a solitude. Since we have up graded tires and brakes and suspension, Pinnacle I believe that is a option if you order. Few other things pinnacles have over solitude is electric cord real, fully remote control, nicer back end of camper, and maybe overall better looking. Light switches you can see, and more user friendly phone charge ports. Mattress is also better in pinnacle. I’m not disappointed with my solitude, but if I was to do again I would purchase a pinnacle. I have more into this solitude than a fully loaded pinnacle costs. I was under impression that just the front jacks are electric and back are hydraulic but not sure on this. For me from cold climates would be better. Electric works better at sub zero temps. Just my thoughts.
Sask Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Farm View Post
Looked at both, bought a solitude. Since we have up graded tires and brakes and suspension, Pinnacle I believe that is a option if you order. Few other things pinnacles have over solitude is electric cord real, fully remote control, nicer back end of camper, and maybe overall better looking. Light switches you can see, and more user friendly phone charge ports. Mattress is also better in pinnacle. I’m not disappointed with my solitude, but if I was to do again I would purchase a pinnacle. I have more into this solitude than a fully loaded pinnacle costs. I was under impression that just the front jacks are electric and back are hydraulic but not sure on this. For me from cold climates would be better. Electric works better at sub zero temps. Just my thoughts.
Pinnacle has the electric autoleveling lippert system. I am living in the cold as well. I have not been able to figure out what is the best between electric and hydraulic. I am not a mechanic guy. I figure that hydraulic is probably more robust, but more parts and more space for these parts. The electric system works great so far. Agree that Pinnacle has a better look, but I think It is better built RV.
Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #20

Your right on hydraulic being stronger. I can lift my 16,500lb rig of the ground effortlessly if I want. A great option if you have a flat tire. But if it’s is -10 outside this system struggles to move. Warranty is as only as good as your dealer, all these mid range campers are cheaply made. The main components are the same as entry level campers. if you have a great dealer I personally would buy a pinnacle if I was to do again.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Farm View Post
Your right on hydraulic being stronger. I can lift my 16,500lb rig of the ground effortlessly if I want. A great option if you have a flat tire. But if it’s is -10 outside this system struggles to move. Warranty is as only as good as your dealer, all these mid range campers are cheaply made. The main components are the same as entry level campers. if you have a great dealer I personally would buy a pinnacle if I was to do again.
Being in the Great White North myself this comment is pertinent to me. Was the system factory filled with hydraulic fluid and if so do you know what weight fluid was used? I'm just wondering if the fluid is a bit too viscous for our sub zero temps?

I sometimes head south but leave when it's like -25C. We avoid using the slides as much as possible in those temps with our current rig but we need access to the kitchen and fridge, something many models won't allow with slides closed.

Is yours a Grand Design?
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #22

Yes we have a solitude. I believe only kitchen slides are hyd others are electric. But slide rubbers don’t like the cold as well. The so called hydraulic oil is actually transmission oil according to my rv dealer. It is pink in color so they maybe correct on this. The low flow probably has more to do with small lines when temperatures drop down. I make a point of having trailer higher than needed to load before it gets to cold. Going down is easier on it than going up. Oil is pushed down instead of pulled up through pump. I also only use front landing jacks and even those I have on 8 inch blocks. If need be I can hook up and skid jacks of them. The things you do at -25 or -30.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #23

Yeah, -25C ain't for the wimpy nor for the cheap RVs either. Lotsa stuff can pop snap and break just driving and hitting bumps.

Planning on maybe another winter excursion 2020-2021. Will be heading as far south as possible this time, not gonna go through what we did 3 years ago.

I think it IS ATF in your hydraulic system. I also remember seeing red fluid in a Solitude and maybe a Reflection we looked at. Flow should not change any at -25C, maybe the valves ice up?

We loved the Solitude but it wouldn't work for us. The front belly hangs way too low for the occasional off-road or country trails we hit. Seems like finding the next 5th will be a challenge.

Happy trails.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #24

It’s important to point out grand design was bought up somewhere
Around 2016..

And boy is there a difference in quality.. I new nothing about 5th
Wheels period 1 year ago when we bought a Rv resort lot and wanted to stick a 5th wheel on it

We ended up with a used 2015 solitude 379 plan..

Nice trailer.. all solid real wood cabinets very nicely built...etc..

Wow... we walked thru a 2020 solitude for fun on a new floor plan
And it’s no where close to the same quality as the 15...

Just food for thought when looking at grand design..

Grand design is not the same now.. just my opinion...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #25

I would pick the Pinnacle hands down. It is a few steps above the GD IMHO.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco