Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #1

Grand Design Solitude 310GK or Jayco Pinnacle 32 RLTS

I am looking at these 2 units. Both are nice units. They are different in many ways. Hydraulic leveler in the GD vs electric in the Pinnacle, should It be a factor to consider ? Any other comments from owners of these FW: reliability, problems, customer service ?

Eagle2405
2014 Palomino Sabre 31CKTS
2019 Silverado 3500 diesel
Eagle2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
First off , I’m probably biased. The GD has larger tanks and maybe a bit more windows. Second awning is standard , which isn’t really a big deal. We’ve had a Reflection and now 310GK-R. After using both leveling systems the hydraulic is faster and less motion after set up. Stability may be partially attributed to extra weight. However the electric will never leak. Main slides on the Solitude are also hydraulic , don’t know about the Jayco. All of our service needs have been full filled rather promptly whether dealing with GD or our selling dealer , but we haven’t really tested them as have had very few issues and no big ones. I did see Jayco either comes with Goodyear tires or it is an option.
Good luck , Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #3

The 310gk is a "wide-body". Is the Jayco?
Old 05-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #4

Yes Jayco is a wide body frame. Agree, It is darker inside, as windows are smaller compared to GD. Jayco comes with Good Year endurance tires, and a few more options included. Slides are electric.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
First off , I’m probably biased. The GD has larger tanks and maybe a bit more windows. Second awning is standard , which isn’t really a big deal. We’ve had a Reflection and now 310GK-R. After using both leveling systems the hydraulic is faster and less motion after set up. Stability may be partially attributed to extra weight. However the electric will never leak. Main slides on the Solitude are also hydraulic , don’t know about the Jayco. All of our service needs have been full filled rather promptly whether dealing with GD or our selling dealer , but we haven’t really tested them as have had very few issues and no big ones. I did see Jayco either comes with Goodyear tires or it is an option.
Good luck , Charlie

Thanks Charlie
Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #6

We looked at both when shopping last year. We chose the GD Solitude. I've heard that the customer service is second to none, but I have no first hand experience with it, as we have had no issues.
Good luck with your search.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a suggestion to maybe expand the brands you will consider. We bought a new Solitude this past November partly due to all the hype about quality and customer service from other GD owners. It is a decent rig but there are some poor design and execution issues. It is attractive inside and there is good storage but it is, like many of these things, more fluff than stuff.

The design/build issues we have are:

1. we have residential fridge with ice maker. Fridge is in kitchen slide. GD ran the water line for the ice maker so that about 2 feet of the line is completely exposed outside when the slide is extended. So, if you plan to use the rig in any freezing weather, you have to disconnect and drain that line. Just plain lazy and/or stupid on their part, IMO.
2. the only switches to control the two awnings on our rig are in a panel in the hallway. You cannot see either awning when you are operating those switches so you either need to have someone look for you or stretch way out to see one awning through a window and open the entry door to see the other. Again, just stupid on their part especially when they could easily have added the accessory so you could use a remote.
3. They use a combo of PEX tubing and some 1/2" vinyl tubing for water lines. However, they use PEX fittings for the vinyl tubing and it doesn't fit properly so you get leaks. My cold water inlet to the water heater leaked from day one. I plan to replace all that vinyl tubing with PEX. Many others with GD rigs have reported water leaks due to this issue. GD should know better.
4. Many of the light switches for the living/kitchen area are mounted under the overhead cabinets. You can't see them and they aren't labeled even if you could see them. You use trial and error to figure out which switch controls what. They could have easily been placed on the walls and labeled properly.

5. They installed a quick connect LP gas fitting on the rig so you could connect a gas grill. Great idea, right? However, the fitting is on the driver side of the rig near the wheels. Who uses a gas grill on the driver side? Why did they not locate that fitting on the patio side of the rig?? Duh!!
Old 05-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #8

I have a 2019 Pinnacle KPTS, it seems as both companies have the same Accountants!! Almost everything said above about the GD is true about the Pinnacle except the awnings can be controlled with an App on your phone which so far is good. I put foam insulation around my water line for the residential refrigerator. I have not brought the slide in yet to see how it affects the closing of the slide. This is the first 5th wheel we have owned so far only five water leaks and the furnace sail switch failed. Life in a RV you’re gonna find a few problems in most RV’s. Good luck with your choice!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

I really appreciate your comments. For the GD, I noticed the switches. A friend of mine has a 2018 310GK, and they also have the awning switches mounted under the overhead cabinet. For the quick connect, I taught there was none. Thanks to all of you for your comments.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
As of 2019 the awning switches have been moved into the convenience center. Still have I believe 6 lighting switches under the cabinet , accents in island area , pantry , and two in top of dinette slide. Looks like J has a larger pantry , maybe a little less counter space. On the tires if the Jayco uses Endurance , I think they will be E load rated. Last I looked that was the highest rating available. The GD uses G’s.
Alas , nothing’s perfect in the RV world.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #11

We purchased a 2020 Luxe Toy Hauler roughly a month ago and couldn’t be happier thus far... Fit and Finish is great
02Peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
As of 2019 the awning switches have been moved into the convenience center. Still have I believe 6 lighting switches under the cabinet , accents in island area , pantry , and two in top of dinette slide. Looks like J has a larger pantry , maybe a little less counter space. On the tires if the Jayco uses Endurance , I think they will be E load rated. Last I looked that was the highest rating available. The GD uses G’s.
Alas , nothing’s perfect in the RV world.
Charlie
You may be right for the E rated tires, but they put Endurance GY. Concerning Kitchen and space this is what my wife sees: she prefers GD for the a brighter interior (bigger windows), stove and oven located in the middle of the counter (Pinnacle stove is next to the fridge with no counter space between the two),better quality sink. On the Pinnacle, she sees more storage space (pantry, kitchen, and a lot more in the bathroom).
My view is Pinnacle has a little more bells and whistles (ex: powered 50 amp cord), and I think they have an overall better construction and design (ex:enclosed AC unit). GD wins on insulation, and their customer support has quite a reputation which is extremely important for RV owners.
There is no perfect RV, we have to make compromises anyway. But being our third FW, we are a lot more picky.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #13

I'm selling our 2018 310gk with Onan 5.5 and Winegard Traveler for Dish. I've never had any issues with it, and I'm original owner, non-smoker. Includes PullRite hitch if you want it.
We are just moving to a floor plan more suitable to our needs.
Asking $53k.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #14

As you may have noticed, we went for the Jayco. We purchased in june, and so far we are very happy. We are on a 3 weeks trip to Myrtle Beach, and It is a good test for driving, confort (It is pretty cold here at this moment). When pulling, the ride is super smooth. We had few issues (lights not properly connected, shower head not working well, etc)...small issues all adressed properly with the dealer.

Tags
jayco