Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Solitude vs Jayco North Point?

Grand Design Solitude vs Jayco North Point.
asking for a friend that is in the market for a 35'-37' 1st 5er...
What can you tell me about these 2 5ers?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I can say, without hesitation, the last two new Jayco products (2018 and 2019) bought by people we know no longer own them.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
I can say, without hesitation, the last two new Jayco products (2018 and 2019) bought by people we know no longer own them.
What were they?
Were they 5th North Point 5th wheels?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
JDT

I would say the Jayco Pinnacle is a closer match for the Solitude. The North Point is a step below the Pinnacle. Our Pinnacle has been almost flawless after 40 nights and about 3K miles. The 32RLTS is a perfect size for 2 people in my opinion. We considered the Solitude but liked some of the features and trim work better on the Pinnacle. We may just be lucky with the lack of issues but I think that is a factor in almost any rv you buy.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:50 AM   #5

Jayco is no longer the company that their reputation is based on. Like all other RVs now quality is a crap shoot. I'd like to see Federal/State laws governing the industry but that's wishful thinking.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Jayco is no longer the company that their reputation is based on. Like all other RVs now quality is a crap shoot. I'd like to see Federal/State laws governing the industry but that's wishful thinking.

Any Fed/State regulations would only add to the cost of building the RV which would then get passed on to the consumer. Besides, any regulations would be a one size to fit all and that just don't work. Let the consumer decide what they want to buy, not some government regulation!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Any Fed/State regulations would only add to the cost of building the RV which would then get passed on to the consumer. Besides, any regulations would be a one size to fit all and that just don't work. Let the consumer decide what they want to buy, not some government regulation!!
Thats exactly what makes manufactures happy. There's no need to raise the bar any higher as of now they don't have to build the perfect RV since the "If they build it they will come" philosophy is working out just fine.

Grand Design is a great example of not reinventing the wheel while becoming a big player rapidly in the RV market. They new they couldn't or didn't have to make anything QC better, so they went the other route and created a new way of running the CS end. Instead of saying we are building the best, they are saying we're building them the same as everyone else but when you have problems, we're there for you.

Due to the way the RV world is structured there's no support when a dealer goes under. Unlike buying a truck and your local dealer goes under you can go to the next nearest dealer and get brand service.

I think most people would be willing to pay a little more for an RV that would come with a standard 3 year warranty and controlled construction requirements. I'd gladly pay $1000 more to not have to go through what I have with my trailer.
I know I would.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

I think most people would be willing to pay a little more for an RV that would come with a standard 3 year warranty and controlled construction requirements. I'd gladly pay $1000 more to not have to go through what I have with my trailer.
I know I would.

I think your estimate of a $1000 increase is way too low for a 3 year warranty and RV build standards. Look what happened in the auto industry, regulations doubled the price of vehicles in the 80's (fuel/safety). For example, RV regulations would not stop at just a frame weld standard, there could be endless regulation potiential. Even a warranty regulation could require RV manufactures to keep a 10 year availability of OEM parts for each model, like what is required for auto manufactures. Can you imagine the added expense for a RV manufacture to store parts for up to 10 years in their warehouse for each model they produce? This is what the auto manufactures have been forced to do under regulations.
Also, RV dealers being the responsibility of the RV manufactures would change the RV world greatly. RV manufactures would then be forced into a dealer network ownership, which would be very expensive.

I still say, let the consumer decide, if there is a demand for a high quality RV, then manufactures will build them, but they are going to be expensive.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design, jayco, solitude