Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Grey Tank Valve Install

I purchased a 1999 Monaco 5th wheel and I noticed that the grey water valve was not fully closing and would leak out the 3" drain hose connection. I went to replace the valve but I found it to be pretty hard to do. Not that the process for changing it was hard but getting the valve into position to get the screws in. I have to take it off twice because the first time the gasket got messed up (forgot to use plumbers grease). Bought a new set of gaskets and forgot to keep the valve closed when installing the valve so the gasket got pushed in. So third time got everything in but it is now leaking between the valve and the seal on the tank side. I can't believe it would be this difficult to change a valve. Now on to my theory. I think the way I have to install the valve is causing the problem.

I have to angle the ABS pipe on the tank side in order to get the little plastic fingers on the valve over each of the pipes. Then I have to force the pipe into the groove on the valve. I figure this should be able to just slide in-between the pipes and not having to go through all of this angling of pipes to get the valve on. I was thinking that I could cut the pipe on the tank side and attach a flexible tube that will give me more clearance to more the pipe around. Also the new 1 1/2" screws have barely enough thread sticking out after going through both pipes and valves. Maybe getting 2" screws will help with getting the nuts on the screws. without putting too much pressure on the valve. Anyway, all help would be appreciated.

Thanks
5thWheelCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

After re-reading I think it was a lot of information. I guess the first question is should these valves easily slide in-between the pipes and the screws are just for tightening or does it require muscle to get the valve in and then the screws to tighten the seal?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

The valve replacement is usually pretty straight forward, but it sounds like you've got access issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

I did learn some things from that video. I thought the seals go into the valve first so that's probably why it is leaking. However my valve has little plastic "fingers" on it so I can't just slide it up to the pipe like the guy above. I don't have that much clearance between the two pipes. I'm thinking I may have to cut the pipe to shorten it and then put some sort of flexible pipe on so that it can stretch to meet.

Tags
install, tank