Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #1

Grey tank won't open

I have a 2013 Keystone Montana 3402RL 5th Wheel.
I can't pull the lever to my grey tank to empty it. I thought it might be frozen but the black tank lever pulled open fine. I can get it to move about 1/2" to 1" then it stops hard. It feels like something very hard so I thought maybe it is iced up, so I put a heater on it for a few hours and it is still the same. I am not sure how to get access to the valve to replace it?
LaMont13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #2

My black tank lever pulls our about twice as far as my grey. Grey pipes are smaller diameter than black in many cases.
Are you not getting any discharge from the grey tank when pulled?
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Ouch!! My 2020 Montana black tank valve and cable got extremely problematic to open and close. After several months of this I was able to open it to drain the tank and finally replaced it (first stuck black/grey tank valve in 17 years of owning 3 fifth wheel trailers).
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #4

It is very easy to unscrew the handle out of the valve, I have did it twice and when you pull it, mine must have a stop on it because it won't come all the way out. Turn your handle clockwise to make sure it is screwed in the gate on the valve. Sounds almost like it might be hitting on the valve body not allowing it to open. They are not hard to replace, but you will have to have access to the line...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #5

It is not pulling out enough to allow any water out. it is only pulling out about 1/2" or 1" at the most. I will try and screw it in to see if that works. Does it have a cable or is it directly connected to the valve?
Old 01-26-2022, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMont13 View Post
Does it have a cable or is it directly connected to the valve?

You will need to tell us that!

Is the T handle attached directly to the rod that operates the valve or is there a cable between the T handle and the valve?
Old 01-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would think it would let some liquid out if open 1”, so maybe it needs more heat. Try a hair dryer, or a heat gun- very carefully.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:45 PM   #8

Try this forum

Quote:
I have a 2013 Keystone Montana 3402RL 5th Wheel.
I can't pull the lever to my grey tank to empty it. I thought it might be frozen but the black tank lever pulled open fine. I can get it to move about 1/2" to 1" then it stops hard. It feels like something very hard so I thought maybe it is iced up, so I put a heater on it for a few hours and it is still the same. I am not sure how to get access to the valve to replace it?
I did a search for you, maybe they can give you a better idea?

EDIT: I see you have been there already.... :-/
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #9

Had a similar issue with my blank tank valve last year (Cable operated.) It magically decided not to move much either. I’ll stop here long enough to stay “be glad it’s your gray tank and not the black.”

In my case, the metal sleeve on the end of the cable (that the T handle attaches to via a screw) is crimped onto the cable.
Apparently the crimp slipped (probably while closing the valve after dumping) and allowed the cable to push further up into the sleeve reducing the travel range of the valve. Could possibly be what’s happened in your case with gray valve, maybe.

Ultimately my valve was open and not fully closing….not a good thing for the black tank.
Replaced the cable and valve. Had to drop a portion of the the underbelly to get to the valve. Not difficult to do, just a bit hard to get to and not the most fun repair I’ve done on my 5th wheel.

Best wishes on solving your issue.
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried turning it and it was already turned as far as possible.
Looks like I will be trying to get it exposed so I can view it but might as well replace them at that point. I have three (two grey) (one black). Are they all 3"? I guess it will match the pipe. I will update once I get a chance to order them and see what I find. We have some snow coming, luckily we are parked by a house that we can use their shower and sink until it's fixed. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Are they all 3"?
Get a tape measure and measure around the pipe. If it's about 9 7/16" it's 3". if not convert the measurement to a decimal and divide by 3.141 the should get you very close to the diameter.

3"x3.14159= 9 7/16 or there about. Good luck and don't splash.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #12

Black tank valves are 3”
Gray tank valves are typically 1-1/2”
For a cable operated valve, you’ll need to get the right valve with proper length of cable.
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Once you get in there you will find the cables are connected to the valve body with a small Allen set screw. You can adjust the length of the cables by cutting the inner cable. Then use a Dremel tool to carefully cut the outer cover to length. Then reattached it to the valve body with the set screw.
Piece of information here, they do not adjust the cable length when these are installed at the factories, just coil the cables up.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, tank