Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #57

How does one get around the length limit on these rigs?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #58

You have to ignore it. The length limits vary from state to state with some states still being in dark ages (horse and buggy lengths). So it's idiotic to get excited about those since you could be a criminal with a long rig behind a pickup (some places).

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #59

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
You have to ignore it. The length limits vary from state to state with some states still being in dark ages (horse and buggy lengths). So it's idiotic to get excited about those since you could be a criminal with a long rig behind a pickup (some places). hjs
Amen
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #60

Rod came by to visit? Dang, his rig is looooonnnnngggg! LOL
Did the neighbors freak out when he came by?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #61

My answer was flippant, that does not mean that I dismiss the question as not serious. Here's few reasons why:
The rules for maximum combined length (truck and trailer) in the 50 US States range from 50' to 80' to none, with everything in between, 65 feet and 75 feet being the most common. I don't know what none means, you can't pull anything, or sky is the limit.
There is a very visible example in Washington these days about the level of competence of typical bureaucrats tasked with writing any regulations. This is not unusual at any level, local, state or federal. The only difference is that what is going on in Washington these days affects everybody, so it got lot of visibility and is being talked about by everybody. But it happens all the time at all levels of government from Washington Bozo theater to idiotic ordinances written for your village by local board of aldermen.
Wife and I served on local boards in our city for decades and we have seen lots of nonsense passed or being tried to pass.
Unless you are involved in politics or local government you are not aware of it but it goes on everywhere, all the time.
The truck and trailer laws are issued by states to control (primarily) commercial trucking and given to the States' DOTs to enforce. There are also interstate laws that govern interstate traffic, oversize loads, etc.
How "brilliant", or how current these laws are depends on when they were written, were they changed (updated) to reflect newer and more modern world, who lobbied the politicians when they were written, what was the average IQ of those sitting on the board or in the legislature when these were written, was there some pressure group with a "hair across its $$$" lobbying against it or parts of it, etc., etc.
The next issue is how much resources and personnel will the governing bodies expend to enforce any particular law or ordinance.
Length laws are typically under jurisdiction state DOT and state police. There are only so many state cops and state DOT inspectors and they have their hands quite full checking on unsafe commercial trucks, bad drivers, accidents, etc., to be stopping your guys, taking out 100 foot rule and giving you hard time, enforcing a law that most of them never read, or promptly forgot.

hjs
Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Rod came by to visit? Dang, his rig is looooonnnnngggg! LOL
Did the neighbors freak out when he came by?
Yes the neighbors "NOTICED" and carefully creep-ed around it. Rod wasn't here that long, maybe an hour. I will be doing some work on his truck, so we determined what needed to be done and then he left.

hjs
Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #63

With the new trailer I tried to decrease the length (42 ft) to what was absolutly necessary for my needs. I currently have a 14 foot vehicle that barely fit into the box on the truck. I increased the garage in the trailer to 15' 6" to have just a bit of wiggle room. the rest of the trailer was sized by the remaining items I needed. (Kitchen with dishwasher, good cooktop and full size residential fridge.) and the bed/living room. I used a Murphy bed there to make sure all space was used all the time.

During my trip from the midwest to Florida I passed several scales and was passed by multiple law enforcement vehicles. None gave me a second look. I had a 45 foot trailer before and even when I had issues with no trailer lights for 60 miles and was never pulled over with the current truck.

That isn't to say some day it might not happen. I am considering down sizing my box on the truck to what is necessary for my current motorcycle, and will move the hitch forward and decrease my length a bit more. I don't currently know how long I am but am not any longer than most of the truck and trailers I park beside in the rest areas.

Not sure how soon I will be able to return to Henry's location, it might take me a while to locate a new box, have the change done and consider my options for hitch placement. I won't be taking the trailer back anytime soon. It is possible to get to his home and away without taking out any trees, signs, farm animals or people also using the roadways, but it's not something I will want to do very often. The same with parking where I have parked for as long as I am able to spend in Florida this year. It's a long story and will be told at some point, just not this year.

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #64

hjsdds- I didn't take your reply as flippant by any means. This is a deal that those in the know pass along their knowledge in whatever form they choose. I personally like short answers, saves the bs and reading between the lines.
The reason I asked, was an idea of loading a jeep/smartcar/mini cooper length ways on the truck and still have room for hitch etc. Not set in stone by any means, just an option thats on the table. Our Carrilite is 38' overall, is a widebody at 100" wide, short Moryde pinbox, so 54+ inches would be close to the setback for the hitch from the nearest obstacle. Thanks for the insight.
Rollondown-AKA-Alie&Jims CarriLite (from another place)
Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #65

Jim, here's a truck I converted to a Smart carrying configuration about a year ago.

The truck was singled to a mid axle position (rear axle was moved to a center position between the axles, front axle was removed).
And here is the dimensioned drawing of the project.

The Smart was positioned 17 inches away from the BOC (Back of Cab) to allow for a 15 inch deep drom (storage cabinet), then you can see the width of the Smart (5 feet) and then the space to allow tor the fifth turning and clearing the Smart (13 feet in total). This is a little generous, it can be accomplished in deck closer to 12 feet but not less.
Remember that Smart is a very unique vehicle being 5 feet wide. Although, other subcompact cars appear to be "tiny" in reality they are not, the new Fiat 500 is 12 feet long as is the mini Cooper, all subcompacts and the short Jeep are about 12 feet long, compact cars are about 14 feet long. To carry any car lengthwise a typical HDT has to left tandem (or singled long) and then you have to add about 4-5 feet to the frame.

hjs
Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #66

How do you load and unload it?
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #67

Built in winch,

and stored ramps.

hjs
Old 12-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #68

Sweet. Haha!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #69

Lol - what is all that white stuff? Brrr
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Lol - what is all that white stuff? Brrr
We finished the truck in Jan 2013 (in New Hampshire). Some days were down to -18. The owner immediately took it down south to warmer places, I went to Florida and in disgust immediately bought a house there. Moved down permanently in the summer. Enough is enough.

hjs