Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #29

My children are grown, it's just the wife and I traveling. When the kids were home they never knew.
When they turned 18 if interested which all three were I would have them go through a gun safety class.
I have a few pistol magnet holders. The pistol has a full clip, but none in the chamber. All I need to do is push down and out it is ready.
What I will do while traveling is keep the pistol in the holder and the magazines in a drawer near by. Then clip in when not traveling.

I really appreciate everyone's input. It has been very helpful

Thanks
Tom Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 04:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
In West Virginia, it is illegal to have a loaded gun in or on any vehicle. And we have some of the most permissive gun laws in the nation. There is no reason for you to have a loaded gun in your trailer while you are underway. Unsafe and unwise.
This is incorrect. Concealed carry permits from many states are recognized by WV.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Best advice.......

Weapon unloaded and ammo stored separate from weapon

In before the Lock LOL
Seriously ? What good is an unloaded weapon ?
Old 06-06-2022, 04:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
In some state, yes that is considered illegal. You cannot take a hand gun into New York state.
Not true. You can take guns into New York. I have.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
In West Virginia, it is illegal to have a loaded gun in or on any vehicle. And we have some of the most permissive gun laws in the nation. There is no reason for you to have a loaded gun in your trailer while you are underway. Unsafe and unwise.
I don't need a reason to have a firearm in my camper. How is it unsafe and unwise ?
Old 06-06-2022, 04:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
My handgun's in my safe in my secret place unloaded and the ammo is in a different location. Been like that for the 12 years we've been camping. If I'm heading out in the boonies MTB'ing you can bet my handgun's with me. I do have a CC permit but only for Oregon. Chances of me being pulled over in the boonies riding my MTB by an LEO and getting checked for a handgun is pretty slim.
I'm not reciprocal in many other states but thats the way I roll anyways. Don't bring attention to yourself and there shouldn't be any drama.
What is the point of owning a firearm and having it and the ammo in seperate locations ?
Old 06-06-2022, 05:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
What is the point of owning a firearm and having it and the ammo in seperate locations ?
I suspect the point is to make access to a weapon while driving as difficult as possible.
People get crazy when they are behind the wheel.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:25 AM   #36

As long as the trunk monkey doesn't find it you're all right.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
My handgun's in my safe in my secret place unloaded and the ammo is in a different location. Been like that for the 12 years we've been camping. If I'm heading out in the boonies MTB'ing you can bet my handgun's with me. I do have a CC permit but only for Oregon. Chances of me being pulled over in the boonies riding my MTB by an LEO and getting checked for a handgun is pretty slim.
I'm not reciprocal in many other states but thats the way I roll anyways. Don't bring attention to yourself and there shouldn't be any drama.
Oregon resident CC permit is honored, via reciprocity, in at least 20 states.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #38

Quote:
What is the point of owning a firearm and having it and the ammo in separate locations ?
Because I travel in states that don't recognize my states CCL even though the chances of an LEO pulling me over and needing a vehicle search is about as likely as winning the lottery.
And I only take my gun with me so it can be used out in the boonies when hiking or MTB'ing. I'm also not one of those campers that thinks they need to pack while driving so no need for a loaded gun in my car. In fact my gun travels in the TT.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Oregon resident CC permit is honored, via reciprocity, in at least 20 states.
Not in CA or WA. ID and MT yes but we rarely travel to those states. All the other states are way out of our travel range.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
This is incorrect. Concealed carry permits from many states are recognized by WV.
My apologies for making an overly broad statement. WV does recognize other state's concealed carry permits, and allows open transport by anyone legally allowed to own a handgun. However, that is not the whole story. Long guns in a vehicle must be unloaded and cased (or broken down). The OP initially didn't say what kind of gun, but later clarified that it's a handgun and that he has a permit. So, legally, he could have it loaded in a vehicle in WV. But the WV state police recommends against it because of the tension that it creates in the event of a traffic stop.

https://www.wvsp.gov/about/pages/leg...lice%20officer.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:13 PM   #41

Quote:
I don't need a reason to have a firearm in my camper. How is it unsafe and unwise ?
I was referring specifically to a loaded firearm.

It's unwise because of all the different state and local laws that apply when you have a loaded gun in a vehicle. Even the NRA recommends that you travel with guns unloaded and locked in the trunk, which gives you a measure of legal protection under federal law. https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation

Also it's one of those gun safety rules I've had drummed into my head from an early age - always unload before putting the gun in the car. In case anyone other than you happens to get their hands on it, and also to prevent an inadvertent discharge.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:50 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think we are getting some "untrue" responses here. The laws change from state to state and need to be checked regularly. What was true last year may not be true now or next year.

Basically, remember that legal and tax information obtained on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it....NOTHING. I do not think the LEO will accept the fact that Billy Bob told you the information on a forum.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote