Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The part about never towing a 5er with only 2250 lbs of payload.
Sounds like an over one size fits all statement to me.
Sure, I thought that was clear in my post, so let me try again..

I would never tow a 5er with a payload of 2250 pounds because I would certainly be over weight according to the manufacturer's loading sticker and actual (not hypothetical) load numbers. One has to draw the line somewhere, and the load rating sticker is a good place to do it. However, you may have also noted in my post that I actually view the calculations for those stickers flawed. I assume you understand my explanation as to why a 3/4 ton payload sticker may be imperfect. If not, I can explain that in more detail as well, but it's literally been posted thousands of times in this forum and others.

Now, here is a question for you, that gets to the heart of the OP's question, and which you shifted in your response: Is a 1/2 ton truck with a documented payload of 2250 pounds equally as capable as a 3/4 ton truck with a payload sticker of 2250 pounds?

Incidentally, you said both of these statements, which I have experience with and pretty much agree with, but they are missing some nuance. (reference my hypothetical above.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan
After towing both kinds I'd rather tow at max with a 5er than with a TT at 80% of ratings.
Quote:
FWIW a 25' 5700 TT is ideal for a 1/2 ton.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
Sure, I thought that was clear in my post, so let me try again..

I would never tow a 5er with a payload of 2250 pounds because I would certainly be over weight according to the manufacturer's loading sticker and actual (not hypothetical) load numbers. One has to draw the line somewhere, and the load rating sticker is a good place to do it. However, you may have also noted in my post that I actually view the calculations for those stickers flawed. I assume you understand my explanation as to why a 3/4 ton payload sticker may be imperfect. If not, I can explain that in more detail as well, but it's literally been posted thousands of times in this forum and others.

Now, here is a question for you, that gets to the heart of the OP's question, and which you shifted in your response: Is a 1/2 ton truck with a documented payload of 2250 pounds equally as capable as a 3/4 ton truck with a payload sticker of 2250 pounds?

Incidentally, you said both of these statements, which I have experience with and pretty much agree with, but they are missing some nuance. (reference my hypothetical above.)
The OP doesn't care if you'd be over your CCC with your 5th wheel if you only had 2250 lbs for CCC.

If you read my post I said he could make 2250 lbs work if he does his homework, which he seems to be doing.

I also said a 25' TT would be a decent size for his 1/2 ton as he seemed to be concerned about sway. That was why he posted his question in the 1st place.

As far as a 3/4 ton-1/2 ton being equal with the same CCC. No they're not. But it's irrelevant as I never said they were. I was simply showing you that 2250 is plenty of payload. The size of the trucks not the issue. Payload is the issue.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
If you read my post I said he could make 2250 lbs work if he does his homework, which he seems to be doing.

Last time for me. I don't enjoy arguing with strangers.

Having bought a "HT towable" fifth wheel this year, I am cautioning the OP by answering his question, and telling him what I would do. Thats what the OP asked. Not only is it what I would do, it is what I just did.

I am backing this up by telling him, point blank, I could not make 2250 work, no matter how much "homework" I do, when accounting for real world considerations.

Lastly, I indicated 2250 payload in a half ton is not the same as 2250 payload in a 3/4 ton, for a number of reasons, and that pulling a 9995 GVWR fifth wheel with a half ton is not something I would enjoy.

It's ok with me that you don't agree.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #18

In my mind, “Half-ton towable” is a sales gimmick. RV manufacturers know that the vast majority of trucks out there are half tons, and they see it as a huge market waiting to be tapped. Keep in mind that they are interested in your wallet - not your safety.

Can you pull a 5er with a half ton? Yep. People do it every day. Just because you can make it move, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Reasons for this may include payload limitations , soft suspension, tires, undersized brakes.

My advice would be to either pair a TT with your current truck, or to upgrade the truck if your heart is set on a 5er. It’s always good to have the right tool for a job.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, tow, trailer, travel, travel trailer