Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Has anyone ever bought 5th trailer online and had it transported?

Has anyone ever bought 5th trailer online and had it transported? If so, was it good or bad experience? Any tips/advice? How do you know it will arrive with everything working?

I have received some very good prices from dealers close to manufacturer HQ in Indiana and from Ohio.

Do they transport by towing or on trailer?
TXDIANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

I bought my 5th wheel toyhauler from RVwholesalers and had it delivered. The trailer was towed to my home (cheaper than if I went and got it). The driver showed me how to hook up and unhook the trailer, work the slides, and open the doors. My wife and I have been very happy with our choice. I would do it again. Obviously, you are not going to have someone hold your hand while you figure out how everything works. We practiced camping in the yard until we understood the systems.

I had one warranty issue that RVwholesalers handled through a local dealer.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #3

We are only on our second rv, we will see when we buy the fifth one.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #4

You DON'T know it will all work. If new, it should, but may not. I would definitely not do it that way.
They transport them however, but usually towing.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

we found our Teton online in AK drove out looked it over then had U-Shipit take it back to SC they are bonded and have ins so it probabley safer than moving it your self they all pull them after all they are rv's
mbass777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #6

I hope you have went and touched it,crawl under it. I purchased a used unit and had it inspected by someone from a different shop. Peace of mind was worth the money and several items were found that needed replacing.. Under "new posts" today, there is a warning about a scam for a rv and you pay the shipping after just looking at some pictures.
flcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #7

WE bought our 2011 Cardinal from RV Direct.com They delivered to my driveway in Central WI for $600!! Saved a total of $12,000 compared to what our local dealer would sell us the exact same one!!!! YES $12k

The guy that delivered it stayed almost 3 hours going over every thing on whole camper we even went on the roof!

I would do it again in a heartbeat NO regrets at all

Any manufacturer HAS to service the type of camper they sell no matter if U bought it from them or not
Mr BLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLS View Post
Any manufacturer HAS to service the type of camper they sell no matter if U bought it from them or not
The manufacturer has to warranty items, as long as all paperwork was processed, yes.

Dealers, however, don't have to. They don't owe anyone anything. But if they want business, they will.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

Heartland RV Club
We just did this. We researched and found that we wanted a Heartland Bighorn, contacted one of the retailers closest to the Heartland plant, ordered it and it is being delivered to our campsite in NC next month. All online. Never met the salesman. Communications by email and phone when necessary. I recommend Great Lakes RV Center in Elkhart, IN. My salesman, Matthew Troup was very responsive and definitive throughout the process.

Karen&Jim Soltis

Karen&Jim livin' on "The Bright Side"
98 Bounder 34, Chevy P30, 454, Banks Power
Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #10

I once did something stupid. I bought a boat from on-line pictures. The boat was 2,000 miles away. After working out shipping and sending a check I crossed my fingers. 3 days later the boat was delivered - just like the pictures!!! Whew...

This was in 2001- I still have that boat.

For the most part people are honest.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #11

We have purchased a new 5er from a reputable dealer and examined it carefully. Monday we, will get our training on use and operation and transfer our goods from our current unit. We will stay in it in their camping facility for two nights. Then they will deliver it to our home, where it will stay and be loaded up for transportation to Florida next winter. In my opinion, this is the only way to do it if you are not going to haul it yourself.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #12

I purchased my 5th wheel from a location about 6 hours away from my home. We drove to see it in the car. I was then able to inspect the unit and even negotiate a little lower price. Once we purchased I got several bids from a haulers on uShip. At that time I didn't even have a 5th wheel hitch in my truck. After figuring fuel costs and time into the equation it worked out to be a slight savings at the time. In my experience uShip was great. I got sent pictures of the unit as he hooked it up and regular phone calls while he was enroute. Obviously since then I now have a hitch in my truck and would carefully calculate the costs.

Steve
4x4FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #13

Our dealer delivered ours the 400 miles for free to make the sale. Saved al lot of money on top of that free delivery even including the trip in the car and the motel to buy it. Don't be afraid to travel to get a unit
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote