Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Heartland Bighorn

Well I finally found a deal on a fifth wheel to begin the long journey of the snow bird life.
I have a 2013 Bighorn 3855FL and I have found it to be a pretty good unit. Even if I hear all the issues with this unit or others. I have found I have to make my own choice and like always there will be issues.
Why I am writing this thread is one of the issues I have found is I am not very familiar with a heat pump unit. I am learning a little about it but with all the paper work I have it doesn't say how it works or when to use it. I am not an idiot I understand most of it but would like some more info from others who have experience with this.
Second thing is I was thinking of making the suspension better. I have 2 7000 pound axles with the center flex and a shock. It looks like it could take a lot of road but I worry to much and think it would be better to add more. Any thoughts on this?
And lastly I noticed the black water gate valve wont close all the way so when you take the cap off look out! Is this an easy thing to replace? I have tried everything thinking maybe it was stuck or had paper holding it open.
I would be very grateful for advice and what to do with my issues or others that may come? I know many of you have done this a lot longer than I.

Andy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I can't help you with the answer to the heat pump question because I've never had one. I can make a suggestion for an improved suspension with the Mor Ryde independent suspension. This is the Cadillac of suspensions and should accomplish everything you want. On the sewer line leak, this is a very common-to all brands- problem. It is simply a small amount of water that remains in the lines, but upon moving the trailer, the water seeks the lowest level, which is at the sewer cap. This can be eliminated by using a Valterra valve that fits over the end of the sewer pipe with the same fittings as your hose. Keep the valve closed until you have attached the hose, and problem solved! These valves can be found at many RV parts stores.

Finally I want to urge you to try the Heartland Owners forum You will find other Heartland owners, as well as frequent input from the factory by brand managers and their team members.

Good luck with and enjoy your Bighorn.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #3

Hello,

What questions do you have on the heat pump?
It is the same as an A/C unit, but will reverse its cycle and produce heat, down to approximately 30 degrees outside air temp.
rcnhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

I kind of understand that the heat pump works in reverse. So I can use this to heat my RV unless it is really cold? I am just wondering how far this heat pump will heat on average or do I need to use my furnace for most of the cold nights?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

I will go through some of the heartland forums and learn more about my unit and some of the issues I am having. I see there are electric valves and wonder if these are junk or a good solution to get away from the long cable type gate valve that doesn't seem to seal completely. I have looked at the Mor/ryde systems and will look into that . I have also seen the Trail air type with the air bag and wonder if it would be worth installing or you think the Equa Flex system I have would be enough and I am over thinking the issue?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually an air source heat pump is onlt effective down to 38 to 40 degF outside aire temperature.

All the heat pump is doing is removing "heat" from the outside air and rejecting it into the conditioned space inside. At about 40 degF there is not enough heat and the outside coil will run below freezing and start to frost over.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #7

Actually, we install daikin, Mitsubishi and Sanyo that produce heat down to 0 degree outside air,
It has to do with the boiling point of refrigerant.
Also the newer high tech heat pumps have inverter compressors. I am not sure of the units used in the RV industry, I am sure it will take them years to catch up!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnhoward View Post
Actually, we install daikin, Mitsubishi and Sanyo that produce heat down to 0 degree outside air,
It has to do with the boiling point of refrigerant.
Also the newer high tech heat pumps have inverter compressors. I am not sure of the units used in the RV industry, I am sure it will take them years to catch up!
I forgot to add, they will need to go through a defrost cycle periodically, which removes the ice build up from the outside coil.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnhoward View Post
I forgot to add, they will need to go through a defrost cycle periodically, which removes the ice build up from the outside coil.
I don't think RV roof heat pumps even have a defrost cycle. That's why their effectiveness starts falling off below 45 degrees. They're nice for taking the edge off on a cool evening but won't be able to keep up overnight if the temp really drops. There's a big difference between home heat pump units and the RV stuff. Our home central system has done well to the mid 20s. Any colder and we'll move further south rather than test the heat pump's capability.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #10

Smile heatpump in bighorn

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3185, this one does not have a heat pump but the cedar creek I traded in for this unit did. The most I can remember about it was it was so loud in the bedroom I couldn't sleep so I kept it off. As far as the valve handles not going all the way in this happened to me in my Bighorn and the dealer had to take it all apart because there was some debris from the plant during construction had gotten lodged in there somehow, anyway they had to pull the underbelly to fix it. I too am on the Heartland
Owners club forum wayne -43
wayne-43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland