Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #15

I agree with 918Jeeper. Had a high-dollar Pirit, never worked. Built my own with a 25 foot section of cheap white fresh water hose, some aluminum foil, a 25 foot heat tape/wrap, covered and taped it all together with some insulation foam. Cost considerably less than the Pirit and works like a champ (knock on wood!). But I also keep water in my fresh water tanks with the tank heaters on as a backup plan.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny1763 View Post
I agree with 918Jeeper. Had a high-dollar Pirit, never worked. Built my own with a 25 foot section of cheap white fresh water hose, some aluminum foil, a 25 foot heat tape/wrap, covered and taped it all together with some insulation foam. Cost considerably less than the Pirit and works like a champ (knock on wood!). But I also keep water in my fresh water tanks with the tank heaters on as a backup plan.
Ditto here I like being a "man wit a plan"!!! Homemade heated water hose works like a Champ!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:18 AM   #17

Heated Water Hose to -40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
We have been doing some reading about the various brands of heated water hoses. We have seen it mentioned that one brand at least is not good for fifth wheel trailers that have their water connection within a compartment as the thermostat for the hose will not register the temperature properly being too close to possible heat from the trailer.

Would be very grateful to know which brands and models of heated water hoses you have found to be successful.

Thank you,
Michele and mark
The 25 foot Pirite Heated Water Hose worked all last winter going to -40.It was wrapped well tip to tip with Reflectex bubble wrap and brass elbow at trailer had extra wrapping.

Furnace exhausts onto heat sensor on hose so a double male fitting /double female fitting is used to swap ends of hose so sensor won’t think it’s in Florida all winter.
TRIPLE 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #18

We use a homemade hose with heat tape and snap-on foam insulation with a couple feet left over on the plug end to wrap the hose bib with. Then put a spare piece of pipe insulation on it or throw a blanket and trashbag over it. If only staying overnight, we disconnect, drain the hose and run off our freshwater tank.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 AM   #19

Pirit is what i use. No probs in -20 or worse. Key to pirit is keep the original box. Dont throw it away. They wont honor warranty work without it.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #20

Pirit here too. The thermostat hangs down just below our water hose port and the proximity hasn't caused a freeze-up. We have only used it into the teens though. At below zero we would have other issues to worry about than a frozen hose.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #21

Have the Camco wrapped blue hose--the hose is supplied with a double-male fitting so either end can be used to hook to trailer/hydrant. When worried about freezing, and so cold the hydrant may freeze, I just disconnect from the hydrant and leave the hose end leaning leaning higher than the trailer fill connection, leaving the hose on. In the morning, the hose is warm, water is not frozen and can re-hook to hydrant. If the temps are not going to rise during the day, work off the tank. And the sensor piece is long enough to hang out of the wet bay to sense outside temps.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #22

If anybody is thinking of making a homemade heated hose, look for "self regulating heat tape. This kind of heat tape has no thermostat. The tape senses the temperature and regulates itself.
Also, some models you can cut to length.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with heated water hoses is they do not heat the water faucet. What will you do to keep it from freezing?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #24

I put a residential exterior faucet cover on the city water faucet when below freezing. So far it’s helped me through the Texas winters [emoji23]
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #25

Ive been using a "camco cold temperature heated hose". So far it has worked like a dream and I have yet to have an issue. I have been living in my travel trailer full time. I figured winter camping would be a lot more challenging but I have enjoyed it so much. If you wanted some tips and trick about camping in the winter you should check out a video that I made about it.

https://youtu.be/df73X9RF1II
MthwMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:05 AM   #26

Homemade Heated Self Regulated Water Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
If anybody is thinking of making a homemade heated hose, look for "self regulating heat tape. This kind of heat tape has no thermostat. The tape senses the temperature and regulates itself.
Also, some models you can cut to length.
Of the 3 types of heat tape for copper,copper or plastic ,and self regulated heat tape, the self regulated was many times the price of the other 2 types .I would guess the price to be equal or higher than a manufactured heated hose to make your own heated hose.

The water supply where I am has a winter plug that uses my own site power at about 80 watts according to my Kill-a-Watt meter to heat the fresh water piping underground and has a reflectix hood over the whole thing with Velcro going from top to bottom to poke hose thru.
TRIPLE 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The problem with heated water hoses is they do not heat the water faucet. What will you do to keep it from freezing?
Ken

Leave one faucet slow dripping overnight. That seems to be enough to keep the water spigot flowing. It barely makes a dent in a 40 gallon or larger grey tank.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
We have been doing some reading about the various brands of heated water hoses. We have seen it mentioned that one brand at least is not good for fifth wheel trailers that have their water connection within a compartment as the thermostat for the hose will not register the temperature properly being too close to possible heat from the trailer.

Would be very grateful to know which brands and models of heated water hoses you have found to be successful.

Thank you,
Michele and mark
Get brass male to male and female to female hose adapters and reverse your hose to get the sensor wire outside.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, water