Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
M2D

Heated Water Hose

We have been doing some reading about the various brands of heated water hoses. We have seen it mentioned that one brand at least is not good for fifth wheel trailers that have their water connection within a compartment as the thermostat for the hose will not register the temperature properly being too close to possible heat from the trailer.

Would be very grateful to know which brands and models of heated water hoses you have found to be successful.

Thank you,
Michele and mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Using any heated hose is conditional on the type of hydrant you are hooking up to and if it's allowed in the campground. Many year-round campground hydrants drain back under the frost line when turned off, thus can be used in winter. Hooking up a hose, heated or not, leaves the standpipe full of water and subject to freezing. In winter I prefer to fill the water tank, then drain and stow the hose until the next need to fill.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Exactly! All those bale handled connections have the valve below the frost line. Hooking up a heated hose accomplishes nothing as the hydrant itself will freeze if left open. It will also freeze if you shut it off and don't disconnect since it has no way to drain with your hose still attached. The simplest and most effective way is to fill your, tank shut off the hydrant disconnect and drain your hose until you need it again.

Ken D
KenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
M2D

Yes, thank you, that is what we do. Just wondering whether a heated hose is worth the expense and the reason you have given us makes sense.

Much appreciated,

Michele and Mark
Old 01-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

We have a Camco heated hose. It claims to work to -20*. For us it only works to about 10*. Our hydrant is heated so there is not much risk of freezing. It is also covered with an insulated box. Down to 10* we use the hose as it works fine. Below that we shut off and disconnect the hose just in case, and use the fresh water tank. We have had the heated hose freeze a couple of times and it thawed without damage but we don’t take the chance any more.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

We've camped at Yellowstone many times in the off season... in each of the parks we've stayed in WEST Yellowstone... when it gets cold someone comes along and tells us to disconnect from the Frost Free Valve and drain our water hose... they don't want the water in the stand pipe to freeze and damage their stand pipe... I know in those parks even if you share that you'd let the water run.. they won't have it... and want you to disconnect.... on those occasions we just use the water in the fresh water system...
Old 01-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #7

We have used a Pirit down to -13 degrees with no problem.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I guess I just don't understand the need to be connected to a city water hydrant when temperatures are freezing. My water pump provides enough pressure to cook and do dishes, shower, and flush for many days between water tank refills. I also have been in W. Yellowstone in Sept. and Oct. and been cautioned not to stay hooked up to hydrants. It's never been an issue.

After each use, as I coil up the hose I leave one end on the ground and let gravity help drain it so it won't freeze up. Next time I need it, it's ready to flow. I don't see the need for a heated hose, nor would I want one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
M2D

Yes, we were in West Yellowstone in Sept when it snowed and was in the 20s at night. The did ask all to take in their hoses at night and that is what we did.

The main reason we asked about heated hoses is that we will be at the RV park in the Grand Canyon in April and the usual weather is in the 20s at night during the time frame we will be there.

Good to know that the Pirit works so well.

As usual great advice from this group,

Michele and Mark
Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #10

The Pirit has a few inches of cord from the thermostat to the main hose. On our MH it is enough to run it out the port where the sewer hose enters and seems to work sufficiently to sense the outdoor temperature. But if you left it inside the water bay it would not work right.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #11

Use my Camco heated hose hooked up all the time.....still works good when it gets to 10-12 degrees.....and it is in a compartment along with everything else.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #12

You can make your own like I did and save a lot of money. There's lots of YouTube videos on how to make them. I heard those RV specific ones don't last very long.
918jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #13

The Valtera heated hose has the temp sensors and heating elements located all along the length of the hose so it does not matter if some of the hose is located in the heated compartment.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 918jeeper View Post
You can make your own like I did and save a lot of money. There's lots of YouTube videos on how to make them. I heard those RV specific ones don't last very long.
Same here and if going to be in place for several days I apply a heat tape to the entire hydrant and wrap/insulate over it. Have been having temps in the teens at night recently and have had no problems. If short term stay I just disconnect hose/store it and operate off fresh tank.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, water