Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

HELP!!

Hi All,

Need some info...hubby retiring in 17 days...and I've finally come to the realization that for our budget I just can't find a motor home that I like...so now today we've started looking at 5th Wheels and Trucks. Wow...the layouts in the 5th wheels are so much nicer.

Any suggestions about which brand is best? Which truck is best? Any information at all...as time is running out.

Our budget for truck and 5th wheel is up to $70,000.00...so we have to go used.

Thanks so much for any help
Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

Alpenlite is a well built rig. Look on RVTrader.com there is a 2000, 32ft rk for sale in Colorado Springs. It looks like a good buy to me. Owner sale
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Consider a Montana. Quite a few good used ones out there and they are quite popular among full timers the same as part timers. Sugest a Ford Dually but not with a 6.0 engine
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check out Newmars, built on the same line as the MH's. Not cheap nor light though!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
We full time in a New Horizon, but they are very heavy. I think an Alpinlite is the right rig for you. You can probably find a used one and have enough money left over to get a new gas powered 3/4 ton truck. With a towing rear end ratio you should have enough power to get up the mountains OK.

I have read of some problems with the Montanas.

With your budget that's the way I would try to go, used trailer and new truck.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Go for the Montana. Our last 5th wheel was a Montana and I really liked it. DW wanted a MH, so we got one. If I ever go back to a 5th wheel it would be a Montana, 32' with a mid kitchen. For a trk I would look at a diesel with an Allison tranny and an exhaust brake. Don't listen to the dealers on what the trk can handle as to weight, check it out in the mfg books.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

OK, I'll give my nickel's worth. I would opt for a Diesel Dually, make is up to you. That way you can handle just about anything out there except for the heaviest of rigs. Montana's tend to give you good value for the buck. We're looking at ungrading from our Montana, not because there is anything wrong with it, we just want a little more room and an Island Counter. People who have problems with anything, tend to be the most vocal, for every one person with problems or complaints, there are 10 or 20 with no issues.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

In today's market $70,000.00 will buy a pretty nice used motorhome.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #9

I tend to provide links to information so you/ husband can make an informed decision. Most 5er our built in the fair to good category such as a JAYCO and or high end Keystone model like the Montana. There are a couple of real high end types like Doubletree Mobile Suites that are good for full time living.
In order to review what is good and what is not would be this link:
http://www.jrconsumer.com/

Now for a truck. Most 1 ton diesel trucks our good and could be expensive if bought new. Therefore a 2 year old truck might be better for you but they will be hard to find. Most diesel truck owners keep them for a minimum of 100,000 miles before trade in.
There is a PDF booklet that can be down loaded for free that tells a buyer what to look for. I have attached the link also for you to read.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/magazines/buyersguide.phtml
Good Luck.
Jim W.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #10

I'm surprised you weren't able to find a class A in your $70k price range. Should be able to get a really nice used one for that. Just depends on your preference. MH or 5er.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had class A, class C, TT and 5ers. For long term, we prefer the 5er and truck. The advantage is the truck can be worked on at any Chevy, Ford or Dodge dealer. If it needs repairs, the whole house does not go to the shop.

We recently bought the Cameo as a nice clean used unit. We had bought the truck a few years back used as well. The total cost is less than your budget and it is a very nice rig.

Add Cameo and Hitchhicker to your used list.

For trucks, AVOID the 6.0L Ford diesels. If you cna't find a good Ford 7.3L, look at Dodge Cummins and Chevy Duramax. If I had to get a newer truck, I'd look at the Dodge Cummins.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Agreed, that's about what our 2002 Dutch Star with Cummins ISC would sell for. Not that we'd sell it but it only has 33,000 miles, brand new batteries and tires only one year old. Also about $35,000 in factory options.

I'd keep looking for a Type A, there are lots of them out there that would fit your needs.

NO, OURS IS NOT FOR SALE!! Just showing what you might be able to find in the OP's price range.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Totally agree with the above statement. I have nothing against 5th wheels, our close friends have one, it's lower end, but they love it, it fits their needs, and it replaces their previous 5th wheel which they used for many years often.
Just don't be pushed into something you don't really want or something that does not fit your lifestyle.
I have a gas engine Adventurer. It has all the power I need, luxury at a price I could afford. We almost always, if not always, camp with full hookups. A friend has a 2005 Dolphin and they dry camp at the ocean for a week or two at a time constantly. $70K could purchase a nice recent model MH.
Just make sure whatever you purchase the floor plan meets your needs and the extras you think you require are included.
Best to you and yours, enjoy retirement, and Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #14

Look for a 2007 to 2009 Dodge with the 6.7L Cummins. They had problems with the diesel particulate filter and exhaust during those years. But don't worry, just install a few aftermarket products. You'll need to install a DPF delete exhaust system, EGR delete and a programmer. Best part is the fuel mileage will almost double once you get rid of the exhaust gadgets.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote