Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
We are updating our living on wheels home from an Excel 2005 Limited 36RDO to a 2012 Excel Limited 36 rear kitchen. We plan to keep full timing until health no longer allows and timing and price is right for a new Excel. IMHO they make best product and customer service par excellence.

Nothing wrong with our 2005 Didymop (name of our rig) and he will be an excellent home for another full timer at a great price at the Excel dealership in Moriarty NM (RV Sales) If you are interested let me know and I'll give more info. They have many great pre owned Excel models here. Worth the look.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #16

I just don't understand everyone saying stay away from Thor, funny since they are y the parent company behind half the RVs on the road. The same goes for Lippert, they supply frames to a majority out there including DRV. Montanas are in the process of increasing their frame to 12 inch, but there are hundreds of folks living full time in their 10 in frame. Just do you research and take a lot of what you read on these forum not with a grain of salt, but with a block of salt.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I will tell you to lok at the LIFESTYLE RV also. Looked at them at the Hershey RV Show back in September and they are indeed well built, and first class in fit and finish.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I just don't understand everyone saying stay away from Thor, funny since they are y the parent company behind half the RVs on the road.
Perhaps because of experiences like THIS.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Buy an Excel and never look back or second guess.. yea I'm biased and did 4 years of research and talking to many differanr rv owners.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #20

My wife and have been RV'ing for 33+ years and now have ordered our fourth new RV. We knew from previous experience some of the issues however we started with a clean slate and decided to look at everything.

First we determined that with me retiring on Oct. 31 and Carol working for several more years we might consider a true four season 5th wheel. Second we decided that whatever brand/make would need to be about 40 feet long and with several slides. Third, Carol knew how she wanted the kitchen to be laid out.

There is an online buyers guide (about $25) that evaluates RV's very similar to how Consumer Reports evaluates consumer goods. That was a good start and gave us a lot to think about. Then we attended several RV conventions/shows looking at everything. Then we traveled to large RV dealers and did more learning. It seemed that the more we learned the more questions we would have. We made checklist for all the questions and requirements and drilled down through them one at a time.

After many months we had narrowed down the search to three full time/all season RV's. One important note - we set a limit on how much we could spend and resolved we would only pay cash for the selected RV. We did not want a large bill to pay on a retirement income. Also, the new RV had to fit our 2012 Ford 350 Super Duty truck.

The three RV's, all 5th wheels included the DRV, Nu-Waw and Redwood. We revisited those dealers several times comparing notes. The DRV and Nu-Waw did not make the cut as my truck capacity was not capable of towing them.

The Redwood is somewhat new and unknown however it did hit our budget goal, is well within the truck's capability and is backed by Thor, a large RV company. So we took the plunge and ordered the Redwood 36RL with generator, washer and dryer, Trail Air hitch, G-tires and several other options. We have seen the good, the bad and the ugly on many of the very nice 5th wheels out there including our Redwood, Montana's and Cedar Creeks. All are very nice and will meet many folks needs. Being a retiring electrical engineer and tinker I was looking "under the skin" of the RV's and trying to understand more about the hidden infra structures. That is a continuing process however I believe I will be able to resolve the "little" issues that are normal with RV's and Carol is very happy with what we ordered from Redwood. I guess that is a win-win!! Enjoy the hunt and hope this is some help.
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #21

Rcaircraft, is your 350 srw or drw? IhD the same comparisons and only reason I went w the new Thor Dutchman Infinity 3850rl was it was about 1k lighter and w first 5th wheel wanted lighter weight. But agree, great choice !
redalertsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #22

Hi - it is a SWD. There are several factory options that impact total towing capabilities. I worked with our Ford truck dealer and the KY Ford factory to be sure we were okay. We purchased the truck with 16K capability which includes all the towing options from Ford ($$$'s). As it is the crew cab with the 6 ft. 8 in. bed we had the Reese Elite 18K Slider hitch installed along with a sliding bed cover (more $$$'s) to protect the hitch when not in use. The Ford installed options drove our purchase price (even with a lot of back and fourth) to over $72,000. It's a Lariat and the inside is very nice with leather and all the options that could fit in. When calculating all the weights we included the hitch, sliding cover, generator set (6.5 KW Onan) washer and dryer and our normal stuff for the RV and some in the truck. In all we have about 900 pounds cushion so could have some fresh water in the tank however not much more. We avoided heavy RV items such as marble counter tops because of the weight issue. I will have the trailer weighed at delivery time so I will get a better handle on my "cushion". Could need to throw some stuff overboard!

With the 6.7 L Diesel engine I get 19.5 miles/gallon for an even mix of city and highway travel to work (which shortly will not been an issue!!). I am light on the foot and am one of those trucks everyone wants to pass. I do drive at posted speeds however no jack rabbit starts at traffic lights. When on the Kansas Turnpike and at 75+ MPH the MPG drops to about 18.5 - 19. For towing, I drive at 55 MPH to help reduce shock to our travel trailer and will drive that or slower with the Redwood depending on how good or rough the roads are. Towing with my Forest River Sierra drops the MPG to about 16 MPG. I am sure the Redwood will drop the MPG to 10 MPG or less however will learn about that after taking delivery next month.
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #23

We have similar trucks then, good luck
redalertsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
Hi - it is a SWD. There are several factory options that impact total towing capabilities. I worked with our Ford truck dealer and the KY Ford factory to be sure we were okay. We purchased the truck with 16K capability which includes all the towing options from Ford ($$$'s).
Just trying to understand your 16k# capability. Does the sticker on your door say 16k GVWR? Or is it less with aftermarket add ons to get you there? My DRW CC long box is rated at 13k GVWR and are curious how you got there.
Thanks
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #25

Landmark has a 2 year warranty now for full timers.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote