Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #1

Help figuring out pin box selection.

Hello. Novice camper here. I just purchased a 2006 NuWa hitchhiker premier model number 35 lksrb. It has a Reese sidewinder 19k pound 5th wheel hitch on it currently. I have a B&W flip over ball in my 2015 ram 2500. I considered a 5th wheel to goose neck adapter but Reese doesn’t recommend an adapter with the sidewinder model. My only
Choice seems to be pulling off the sidewinder from the camper and replacing it with a gooseneck. I’m having issues deciding what will or won’t bolt up to the wings of the camper. It has a sticker on it from young’s welding on it, which so far has been no help. will attach some pictures below. Please help.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4017.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	351791
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4018.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	351792
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4025.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	351793
cdc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Look at this link. It should help you start making a decision and figuring out what pin box you have on your fifth wheel. Once you know what pin box you have then you can start selecting a hitch.

If you are after a goose ball connection then check out the Reese Goosball and the Gen=Y goose ball hitches.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

I will second what is said above.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #4

That's a great chart to have.. I saved it to my computer just in case....Young's welding hitches are on the list...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:41 PM   #5

Check out nuwaowners.org rv forums for info on HH II trailers. They also have direct contact with Youngs and nuwa for tech questions on a HH II trailers.

Some older HH II came with the "short " pin box which put the pin back under the overhead bd room several inches. Many owners used the GN adapters with them and no issues.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
That's a great chart to have.. I saved it to my computer just in case....Young's welding hitches are on the list...
In that Link....Youngs Welding is the only one using 9" & 3" bolt hole spacing

Pick the style of Youngs Welding Pin Box Mount and under that selection is a Click Link to replacement Pin Boxes
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:51 AM   #7

To the OP: another option is getting a B&W companion hitch that will attach to the plate that your flip over ball sits in.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #8

You've gotten some good advice in determining what will fit. Being new to 5th wheels and unwilling to give up my bed space, I immediately swapped the pinbox on the 36' we just bought for a Gen-Y gooseneck pinbox with the auto-latch. It took a half hour with a buddy and an impact wrench in the rain. Incredibly easy job, solid hitch construction, and rides a heck of a lot better than my boat trailer for what it's worth.
BayouGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #9

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc76 View Post
Hello. Novice camper here. I just purchased a 2006 NuWa hitchhiker premier model number 35 lksrb. It has a Reese sidewinder 19k pound 5th wheel hitch on it currently. I have a B&W flip over ball in my 2015 ram 2500. I considered a 5th wheel to goose neck adapter but Reese doesn’t recommend an adapter with the sidewinder model. My only
Choice seems to be pulling off the sidewinder from the camper and replacing it with a gooseneck. I’m having issues deciding what will or won’t bolt up to the wings of the camper. It has a sticker on it from young’s welding on it, which so far has been no help. will attach some pictures below. Please help.
While Nu-Wa no longer makes FWs, they =do= refurbish older ones for sale. I'd contact them and ask about using a GN adapter on one of their frames. I have limited knowledge of Nu-Wa rigs, but I believe they built their own frames, which I'd think could withstand the higher stresses of using the adapter. Lippert, which makes 90+% of all other frames flat-out will not warrant their frames when using a GN adapter, though they =will= warrant their frames if you use a Reese Goose Box. (Guess who owns Reese?)

Lyle
Old 12-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #10

Thank for the comments and advice. I have looked at several charts and etc. The issue is finding something to bolt up to the wings on my trailer. Young’s welding box isn’t a very common bolt pattern. Notice the young’s welding on the chart is the only one with 3” vertical and 9” horizontal distance. I considered the gen-y hitch but unfortunately they do not make one to fit. Neither Reese or gen-y have one. I’m talking back and fourth with a couple different companies right now hoping for some help. I can’t use the B&W companion adapter because Of the swiveling of the sidewinder.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc76 View Post
Thank for the comments and advice. I have looked at several charts and etc. The issue is finding something to bolt up to the wings on my trailer. Young’s welding box isn’t a very common bolt pattern. Notice the young’s welding on the chart is the only one with 3” vertical and 9” horizontal distance. I considered the gen-y hitch but unfortunately they do not make one to fit. Neither Reese or gen-y have one. I’m talking back and fourth with a couple different companies right now hoping for some help. I can’t use the B&W companion adapter because Of the swiveling of the sidewinder.
With the Lock Out bolt installed you can.....Sidewinder then becomes a standard pin box(remove the wedge)

Size & torque provided in your other thread

Might contact MOD and have them Combine your 2 threads so all info/responses are together
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #12

Help figuring out pin box selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
With the Lock Out bolt installed you can.....Sidewinder then becomes a standard pin box(remove the wedge)

I know it’s hard to believe but, when the hitch was put on they didn’t use the matching box for the sidewinder and therefore there’s no bolt holes to line up and stick bolts in to lock it out. No worries though I just got off the phone with pop up towing products and they just hooked me up with a RVGC 3400. Exactly what I need. Here’s the link for someone down the road who may encounter the same problem. I don’t know how many 10 year old forum posts I’ve read where I would love to had had this info. https://popuphitch.com/our-products/...vgc-cushioned/ good point about contacting MOD. I will look into that. I’m new to this forum and I’m not familiar with how it works.