Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

Help finding a rig

Hello all...

Looking for some guidance finding a 5th wheel for use a stationary winter home.
I have a list of requirements that is rather demanding & the Internet searching has been disappointing. I did learn that many/most new rigs don't have all the appliances installed, just pre-wired, so I think I'd be best served by buying a slightly used late model higher-end unit in the 40' long area.

If you experts could make some recommendations of what make/models I should be looking for that you would recommend, it would save me a lot of grief.

Mostly mandatory:
~20 cf residential fridge w/ice maker
Single dump connection
Entertainment area seating for 6 or more
Good view of main TV w/o neck twisting
Ducted dual air conditioning
Convection microwave
Bedroom ceiling fan
Kitchen pantry
2 piece stacked washer & dryer
Black tank rinse inlet
Roof ladder

Preferred features :
Wet island
Outside TV/Sound System
Central vacuum
Dish washer

We stay at a winter RV Resort that only charges a minimal amount to leave the rig in our assigned spot year-round so it makes little sense to haul it around. For that reason I prefer a slightly used rig rather than new.

Please let me thank all who can advise. I have no experience with 5th wheel rigs so I need some experts to point me in the right direction.

Len
lwerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Iwerman --

Welcome to the forum! There are many good forum members willing to share their vast RVing knowledge with everyone!

Your question will get many answers as there are dozens of fifth wheel manufacturers. When my wife and I were upgrading from a 30 foot travel trailer to something larger five years ago, the Grand Design Solitude 380FL had the favorite floor plan and amenities. After adding the cost of the fifth wheel plus cost of a 3/4 ton or one ton truck to tow it and getting advice from LSU RV tailgating friends, we opted for a diesel pusher motorhome over a fifth wheel. However, had we decided to go the fifth wheel route, the Grand Design Solitude 380FL would have been our choice --> https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/380FL

Your thinking on new vs. gently used is spot on! There are often very nice 2-3 year old fifth wheels available at consignment dealers such as PPL Motorhomes in Houston --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com The price for a 2-3 year old model is thousands less than the price for a new model.

PPL currently has a 2018 Grand Design Solitude for reasonable price --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...itude_rv-43826

Also, the first quarter each year is typically "RV Show" season. I encourage you to attend a large RV show, walk through the fifth wheels on display, find / touch / feel the one you like the best, then do your shopping. For example, Houston's annual RV show is February 12 - 16, 2020 --> Houston RV Show at NRG Center - Houston, Texas - Held in February

Good luck in your pursuit of a new-to-you fifth wheel! Let the forum know which fifth wheel you purchase!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #3

New Horizons.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #4

Teton, Excel, New Horizons, Newmar Kountry Aire. Any of those can handle winter.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
Len, since you don't plan on moving the rig much, if at all, why not consider a park model?

Lyle
Old 01-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

Thanx for the welcome.

I see several Solitudes in the park, possibly the most common model. I'll look into these further.

Len
Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #7

Hello all...

I seem to have somewhat misstated my intentions.
I am a 3rd year retiree learning the ropes as new snowbirds, although my wife still works remotely from our Class A MH. We've been MH RVing for 20 years for vacation travel. Now we wish to spend our winters where it's not winter & the air is cleaner, as we're from SLC, Utah.
The RV resort here in Yuma is about perfect. Don't want to get tied up in a park model along with the forever HOA monthly fees, $350. at this park. Setting a somewhat permanent 5th wheel avoids that fee, saves us traveling in the MH to go to the same spot for 6 months and only costs an extra $150. to leave it in our spot during the summer. We'll save the MH for our summer travels (gotta get to Alaska when my wife retires!)
I see 2 mentions of New Horizons. Not familiar with them but I'll go find out.

Thanx to all for the responses. As a followup re my wish list, do any of these suggested models get me everything or near? No sense searching for something that doesn't exist.

Len