Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Help me navigate the Hershey RV Show...

Planning to do comparison shopping on a 42' 5er at this year's show.

Trying to do it in one day (Friday).

I've seen the outdoor map:

https://www.prvca.org/upload/2017_sh...L_OUTSIDE6.pdf

What's the best way to plan my day around this map? I can't seem to find a way to determine exactly what models will be where... dragging the wife and kid with me, so want to be as efficient as possible.

Wishlist: 42' length, 13'+ height, king bed master, mid bunk layout.

Thanks,

Todd
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
We will be there Wednesday. First time and I figured there would be plenty of people that could point me in the right direction.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Things are really spread out all over the place. If you have a brand or brands in mind that will help a lot, if not, just keep walking! If you are taking kids its going to be rough on them and you, there are places to rest both inside and out. We will be there on Thursday.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #4

Trying to find a particular brand and floor model can be hard as they seem to list the manufacture more then just the brand. A lot of dealers sometime have the floorplan picture posted by the door so this helps not looking inside every unit to find what you want. Another thing you could do is at the beginning of each row ask the first salesman if they have what you are looking for but then you might be stuck with that person. Good luck take your time and enjoy.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:52 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been to Hershey several times and unfortunately you'll be doing a lot of walking. There is somewhat of a method to the madness of grouping with regards to manufactures and rig type but beyond that I haven't figured it out. Be prepared to get overwhelmed with the sheer volume of individual makes and models and try not to be tempted to buy the first one you see. Take notes, compare, talk to the factory reps or even other potential buyers. Show pricing may be a bit enticing but take your time making a final decision.

With the kids along for the ride hit up other models even though you're interest might be elsewhere. Change of scenery for them. After about the third or fourth 5th wheel they see they all will start to look the same and will quickly tire of the idea of walking thru 20 more.

Good luck and wear comfortable shoes.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Trying to find a particular brand and floor model can be hard as they seem to list the manufacture more then just the brand. A lot of dealers sometime have the floorplan picture posted by the door so this helps not looking inside every unit to find what you want. Another thing you could do is at the beginning of each row ask the first salesman if they have what you are looking for but then you might be stuck with that person. Good luck take your time and enjoy.
Like dbir hass said, do your homework!
That show is a huge show and all the dealers and sales people want you to buy their product.
1) Make a list of must haves in the RV
2) Search the internet for RV's that meet your "must have" list
3) Find the RV's at the show and look close at them
4) When you find the perfect RV don't let the sales person give you that "Show Only" price. I almost made that mistake! Find a price you can live with and a dealer that will support you. A new RV will have some service issues and it does not matter who built it. In the last year I have made 4 165 mile trips to have my Onan Generator fixed ! That does not include 3 small service items that my Thor dealer had to fix.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I have some walking to do...

Regarding "show pricing": how does that work? The sale is done that day, of course, but how does the possible trade-in of my current RV work? I'm not expected to haul that thing to the show, right?

And do dealers expect you to take the RV home from the show directly, or do you get to pick it up at a later date (maybe after the winter!)?
Old 09-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

as far as delivery thats up to the deal you make with your sales rep..not everybody comes prepared to tow it out at the end of the show (or middle ) Im sure. Make sure you've done your research as much as possible to know the approximate value..show prices may or may not be all that great...many people report getting 30% (or more) off list show or no show all the time ...also consider just as important is the dealer youre buying from and their reputation on service and warranty work...most dealers work with customer first priority and flat out admit bringing them somebody elses sale to fix is not going to get fair treatment when one of their customers service needs hits while yours is waiting for repair and more then once. Im going to the Hershey Show also but mostly to look closely at the brands & models Im interested in and compare features including chassis and suspension stuff and construction details.. having to replace cheap stuff isnt much of a deal a year or two down the road IMHO
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Thanks, everyone. Looks like I have some walking to do...

Regarding "show pricing": how does that work? The sale is done that day, of course, but how does the possible trade-in of my current RV work? I'm not expected to haul that thing to the show, right?

And do dealers expect you to take the RV home from the show directly, or do you get to pick it up at a later date (maybe after the winter!)?
Tdave don't get too excited about show pricing! I looked at a motor home in Hershey, at the show. I was given a special price if I would close the deal that day. I stalled, and found a better deal on the same coach at a dealer much closer to home. Also, remember, price is not everything. Make sure it fits you and your families lifestyle. That way you can make the most out of it.
Enjoy Hershey you will walk a lot, you can get rides on the courtesy carts, and have a basic idea of what you are looking for. Have fun!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #10

My thought is to drill down to the online catalog of each of the manufacturers listed on that map and identify any model they may have that matches our feature wishlist and hope that they have that model there. If not, at least a similar model so we can check quality of the brand in person.

I also plan on checking RVTrader for best advsetised price of each of those models within reasonable driving distance, so I can see if the show deal is really a deal.

Besides evaluating materials, layout, and interior heights (I'm 6'5"), what else should we compare and contrast in person?

I plan on bringing a checklist, pen, and tape measure, as well as phone to take photos. Anything else?

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Planning to do comparison shopping on a 42' 5er at this year's show.

Trying to do it in one day (Friday).

I've seen the outdoor map:

https://www.prvca.org/upload/2017_sh...L_OUTSIDE6.pdf

What's the best way to plan my day around this map? I can't seem to find a way to determine exactly what models will be where... dragging the wife and kid with me, so want to be as efficient as possible.

Wishlist: 42' length, 13'+ height, king bed master, mid bunk layout.

Thanks,

Todd
Check into who makes the mid bunk model you want. Personally I love that layout. Find the manufactures that make them and go to those areas of the show first to see them. Heartland makes several nice mi bunk models. Also, if you are out to purchase an item like this and go through all the time involved, I'd leave you kid at home. We took out then 4 year old son to buy our first new vehicle. Boy, that was a mistake.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
My thought is to drill down to the online catalog of each of the manufacturers listed on that map and identify any model they may have that matches our feature wishlist and hope that they have that model there. If not, at least a similar model so we can check quality of the brand in person.

I also plan on checking RVTrader for best advsetised price of each of those models within reasonable driving distance, so I can see if the show deal is really a deal.

Besides evaluating materials, layout, and interior heights (I'm 6'5"), what else should we compare and contrast in person?

I plan on bringing a checklist, pen, and tape measure, as well as phone to take photos. Anything else?

Thanks.
In particular if youre finding two or three that are what you want look at standard features as part of the cost factor..in particular frames, suspension set up, axle capacity, brakes, tires need to be accounted for in the price factors...other things like enclosed insulated bottoms, insulation type and R value throughout...look beyond the pretty face so to speak..
also researching feedback on the manufacturer online is big IMO...can really get a feel for how they handle problems in the last few years and how how many issues they have...with the big acquisitions and consolidations the big 2 have taken good names and made them less desirable in business model changes of paying piece meal and deducting bonus money on warranty work costs and its showing up now on the internet feedback the last few years..many brand names arent what they used to be
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #13

Well, the deed is done. At least the show visit is. Didn't pull the trigger on a unit.

Did research ahead of time on the most competitive price for each mid-bunk model we planned to look at, within reasonable driving distance, and none of the show prices really beat any of those "regular" prices, so the pressure wasn't on us.

My 10 year old kid was a trooper, all we had to do was buy her an ice cream cone mid day and she didn't complain at all and was really into "the hunt," even after racking up 5+ miles of walking today.

Saw the Montana and Montana High Country early in the show and the wife (and myself) both liked the lower end High Country more than the straight up Montana. Having an outdoor kitchen helped tilt in its favor. Saw a few more models along our way to the other end of the show and the wife was convinced that the High Country was the one. I had already decided that the Jayco 377RLBH was a front runner from the online research I had done, but I let her do the evaluations without prompting from me.

Then we got to the other end of the show and saw the Jayco, and it was game over. She firmly liked that more than the High Country, and we had to visit it a couple more times and the verdict was sealed. Visited the High Country on the way out one more time and the Jayco held its lead in first place, but the High Country was a contender, compared to the dozen or so other mid bunk models we saw. They were all in a distant third place or worse.

Granted, the finish and build quality of the Grand Designs and Jayco Pinnacle series were very apparent, but they are just too much for the budget, so they weren't in the running.

Also liked the Vanleigh Vilano brand, but no mid bunk model for them.

I was amazed how many "full profile" 5ers left me with little to no headroom in the master bedroom or bathroom. So many of the designs used a flat roof which was odd to me, given the obvious advantage of an arched design. I heard the flat roofs were chosen to maximize clearance when on the road, but these were already 13'+ models, how much does a few inches really matter at that point in deciding between brands.

And materials and finishes were so inferior on almost all of the low $50k priced models, made me wonder if people really were not able to stretch a few thou more for the better materials and finishes found on other brands.

Spent a bit of time checking out Airstreams, first time being in one, and they are doing a wonderful job hitting their niche. Such nice and unusual materials, patterns, layouts, mechanicals. A league of their own for sure, but with so many space sacrfices. You gotta really be into form over function to drop that kind of coin, they were expensive rigs.

So now we found our model and we'll marinate on it a bit before plunking down the cash. No hurry, mid March delivery is soon enough for us.

Todd
Old 09-16-2017, 04:15 AM   #14

Congrats and glad all went well and for reporting back, now that you have found the unit you like time to research for a good Jayco dealer. What area are you from and how far would you consider going? I am sure you could get some references from folks here, just a thought. Good luck on your search.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote