Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

Help, new Torflex axle brake problem!

Well we're leaving New Jersey tomorrow and heading south over the next 10 days. I just finished installation of two brand new Dexter 4000 lb torflex axles with forward never adjust brakes, or forward self-adjusting brakes.
2014 Rockwood fifth wheel.
My tow vehicle is a 2011 F350 6.7 diesel. It has a brake controller in the dash, and I never had any brake problems before with my old axles. I had to change my axles because all of the welds on the left side of both axles holding the bracket onto the axle we're broken! So I put these brand new, complete with brakes, axles on two weeks ago, and had to drive 10 mi to storage while I took care of a family emergency. Didn't feel any brakes then, and now I have the trailer jacked up and it seems like there's a 7 second delay before they come on, but they do all come on.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
lisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #2

How are you applying the trailer brakes? If you are using the foot brake, the trailer brakes should not engage at all if not moving. You have to apply the trailer brakes directly using the slide on the BC. At least for 2019+. Not sure when ford added the speed sensor to the BC. Since you have the trailer wheel off, I would check for voltage when the BC slider is applied and see if you see the delay.
Jincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #3

My trailer brakes have always worked just by stepping on the pedal, but I've been checking everything with my test light, seems I have full voltage coming out of the truck when using the BC on the dash, but very low voltage at first from the pedal brake until 6-7 seconds go by, then full voltage pops up!
Must be a sensor there somewhere...

Old 11-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz View Post
My trailer brakes have always worked just by stepping on the pedal, but I've been checking everything with my test light, seems I have full voltage coming out of the truck when using the BC on the dash, but very low voltage at first from the pedal brake until 6-7 seconds go by, then full voltage pops up!
Must be a sensor there somewhere...

You may be creating an imaginary problem. If Ford does it like my GM, the faster and harder you apply the brake the more amps get to the trailer brakes. Test using the TBC lever when not moving or at low speeds as an initial brake test ONLY. Adjust your gain once you're sure brakes work well and then just use the brake pedal as driving normally.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #5

You may be right, sounds like the truck senses your speed and brake pedal pressure to apply trailer brakes. I ran the old axles for 3 years and never had weak brakes... we'll see!
Old 11-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Your New Brakes need to be Burned in before They'll work like normal- Takes about 20 or 30 Hits and then you'll begin to feel them pulling !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, problem