RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obie86 View Post
Thank you drdit92. Have you had any issues with your open ranges?
Nothing with the travel trailer. I changed the OEM suspension on the fifth wheel to the Morryde SRE 4000 and put on Goodyear Endurance tires before Alaska. I had the rear leaf springs break in Fairbanks, but that is a Lippert correct track issue that is well known, not an Open Range issue. I put on disc brakes as well. No issues otherwise on some very rough roads.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #16

KZ RV Club
We had a 2006 Coachmen Chappy 33ft, treated well, we moved up to a Kz Durango Gold G384RLT in 2017 which is pretty heavy for your truck ... the Kz G384RLT is the onlly trailer I have seen with the door in the main slide making more floor room ...

Most 5th wheels will run 10k or more for a good solid trailer, I always state that you can pull a 5th wheel with most anything, it's not the pulling that's the problem, it's the stopping ...

As stated we have a Kz brand of trailer, they are a small company an for what's it worth I believe you get more bang for your buck with them as a smaller company an the have two an three year warranties on the higher end Gold Line 5th wheels

Safe Travels
Old 11-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #17

You own a Forest River what? They are a big company and they own many smaller companies that build a lot of different brands. Some are inexpensive, some are not and they are all different. Just because it says Forest River somewhere on your trailer doesn't mean they are all built the same way. I currently own a Cedar Creek. They are owned by Forest River and like most other brands operate as an independent company. It has been wonderful as has the factory service. I would recommend this to anyone.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #18

Agree you do not have enough truck for a big 5th wheel. Your occupant/cargo capacity is only around 2,200lbs. The pin weight of a 5th wheel will exceed that.

You can tow a real nice travel trailer. YouTube a Flagstaff 29RSWS just to get an idea.

If you still want a 5th wheel you can probably tow a smaller 5th wheel like a Cougar. Even a small 5th wheel will have 3 slides most of the time.

Or a newer truck could tow more in a Ram of Ford. GM trucks just now in the 2020 model year caught up to the payload of Ram and Ford. For example the 2020 Chevy 2500HD diesel has a payload of 3,200lbs. Probably 1,000lbs more than the 2019 model.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obie86 View Post
Hi all. I'm new here.

I currently have a 2018 Forrest River Surveyor 295QBLE bumper pull trailer. A few weeks ago some meth head tried to break into it and caused almost $7k in damage. I took it in to get fixed and of course I get caught with a salesman! I told the salesman to show me some 5th wheel units and that I might be interested. So the salesman showed me around and I picked out a few that i liked and then i brought the wife back a few days later.

The units that we liked are the highland ridge open range 373 and the 375. We like the units with the big living area in the front or back of the camper. We made the mistake with a bunkhouse with our current camper which we thought the kids would use the area and of course they dont so something more open would be ideal. Some of the things I liked about the open ranges are the roof covering, auto level, slam latch doors, JT stabilizing bars, heavy duty ball bearing drawer slides, the insulation in the unit, the heated under belly. Over all the camper just felt solid.

Our current camper is a Forrest River unit and I feel that the quality just isn't there. Plus I had a bad experience with the local dealer trying to get warranty items fixed and just service in general so I will never be back.

I've never really considered a 5th wheel before and would like to hear from you all. I have a 2011 GMC 2500HD Duramax SRW. Are there any other models I should be looking at or considering that match what I would be looking for?

I appreciate y'alls time.

I had an Open Range 337RLS and loved it, in fact it was one of the first ones they made. We traded it in on an 18 3X 388RKS that we took to Alaska this summer. Towed the 3X over 17,000 miles on our trip and put over 20,000 miles on the truck. I towed the 337 with a Ram 2500 diesel with no problems.

Tags
5th wheel