Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Help Request: Carrying Generators, Gasoline, Batteries and Bicycles

I'm trying to figure out how to manage traveling with bicycles, gasoline generators, gasoline and lead-acid batteries.

We're getting our first fiver before too long and plan to carry two 2000 watt generators. This will give us the flexibility of using only one when that's all we need. We will have a little solar at first and the fiver has a battery storage compartment on the side of the rig just behind the front storage compartment that will handle two batteries. We plan to add more batteries later, probably in the front storage compartment. Our fiver will have a receiver hitch on back.

We are thinking we would like an extended run fuel tank arrangement for the generators and wonder about that... it seems we'd need two such extended run tanks, one for each generator. I'm curious what people have to say about that.

We are also wondering about the best way to store and transport gasoline for the generators. There is no way to tie into our truck for fuel--it's diesel. I think the extended run tanks may suffice, but I'm not sure where I'd keep them, or for that matter the generators. If we put batteries in the front storage compartment it seems like a bad idea to also store anything containing gasoline there. Maybe I could compartmentalize the front storage area into two or more discreet sections. I suppose we should figure on venting that compartment either way.

We will have bicycles, probably on the rear of the the RV. I'm uncertain we could also store other things there, generators or gas cans, for example. We could make a pinbox bike carrier, but I'm not sure I could get the bikes up and down from something like that. I'm no spring chicken.

Should we carry the generators and gas in the truck? We will have a tonneau cover, so I have concerns about gasoline vapor build up in the truck bed.

I'm wondering if other people are juggling all the same things in their fivers I hope to--bikes, generators, gas cans and lead acid batteries--and how they are managing them.

Thanks!
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Do you have a hitch on the back of the 5th wheel ?

Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
Do you have a hitch on the back of the 5th wheel ?

Thanks.

Yes. Our rig will have a receiver hitch. It will have picture window and ladder in back too. I'm not sure that would prevent us from doing what you have, however.

That definitely is food for thought. Did you have to build that arrangment yourself? How did it all come together? What's it like trying to get the bikes up there? How do you do it?
Old 07-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

We had a welder add a 2" hitch receiver to our 5ver. Then I got one of those cargo racks and an aluminum truck box. I bolted the truck box to the cargo rack and added a u-shaped bracket so I could store our fold-up chairs.The welder added a 2" receiver to the cargo rack for the bike rack.My two Honda 2000i generators and gas can easily fit in the truck box.
We drove all over the west for 6 months on this trip. no problems with the rack, I can't even remember if we used the gens, but we did use the lounge chairs (and bikes! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	168067
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
We had a welder add a 2" hitch receiver to our 5ver. Then I got one of those cargo racks and an aluminum truck box. I bolted the truck box to the cargo rack and added a u-shaped bracket so I could store our fold-up chairs.The welder added a 2" receiver to the cargo rack for the bike rack.My two Honda 2000i generators and gas can easily fit in the truck box.
We drove all over the west for 6 months on this trip. no problems with the rack, I can't even remember if we used the gens, but we did use the lounge chairs (and bikes! Attachment 168067
Thanks for that.

It's a little tricky for me to get a clear picture of how all that goes together from your description and photo. Do you by any chance have any more pics from different angles?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

You only need 1extended stay tank, as they come set up for two generators....the new gas cans come non vented, I partioned off the front pass thru area from the sides, so I can use the wall to hang stuff.....I have an air type tailgate, 5th wheel style, so I carry gens and fuel in back of truck.....have an auto slider hitch so no cover....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170208_124004734.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	168084
Old 07-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

This sits up behind cab
Old 07-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #9

You'll want to check you pin weights before making a final decision where to put things unless you make it so I things can be switched around.

I've added a received to the pin box and I'm adding a bumper box. I didn't want to loose ground (22") clearance so I've cut through the rear fiberglass cap and extended both frame rails on our 5th. Theft is a concern so I'll be making an alum storage box to keep things out of site. Bikes will go on top of the box.

Quite often trailer bumpers are spaghetti steel. The best rear storage racks I've seen have 2 receivers. One coming off each frame rail. This prevents side to side wobble.

Lead Acid batteries are open and just as dangerous as fuel cans. Both need venting. AGM and Lithium batteries are sealed so no worry with those types.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
You only need 1extended stay tank, as they come set up for two generators....the new gas cans come non vented, I partioned off the front pass thru area from the sides, so I can use the wall to hang stuff.....I have an air type tailgate, 5th wheel style, so I carry gens and fuel in back of truck.....have an auto slider hitch so no cover....
Thanks.

What are the implications of non-vented gas cans and how do they compare to vented cans in terms of use, safety, etc?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
You'll want to check you pin weights before making a final decision where to put things unless you make it so I things can be switched around.

I've added a received to the pin box and I'm adding a bumper box. I didn't want to loose ground (22") clearance so I've cut through the rear fiberglass cap and extended both frame rails on our 5th. Theft is a concern so I'll be making an alum storage box to keep things out of site. Bikes will go on top of the box.

Quite often trailer bumpers are spaghetti steel. The best rear storage racks I've seen have 2 receivers. One coming off each frame rail. This prevents side to side wobble.

Lead Acid batteries are open and just as dangerous as fuel cans. Both need venting. AGM and Lithium batteries are sealed so no worry with those types.
Thanks!

Sounds like you ae making some serious mods.

I'm a little unclear... sounds like you added a receiver hitch to the pin box but I'm not sure what you plan to put up there--it sounds like your bikes and bumper box will go on the back.

We have a dually F350 diesel 4x4 with a payload of over 5,000#. It's hard to see that even fully loaded with 4800# of cargo (which we may never reach) our 5er with a GVWR of 15,700# would place more than 4000# on the kingpin. So, from the standpoint of how we load things we should have the flexibility to move things around.

The idea of a pinbox mounted htich for our bicycles did occur to me but I'm not sure I'd be able to get our bikes up and down with sufficient ease. Maybe while standing in the pickup bed? That could be tricky though with a hitch (and perhaps other stuff) in the truck bed and traffic waiting for us to clear the roadway in a campground. It would, however, save us 2-3' in overall length which would keep the 5er down to 34'.

Our 2018 Arctic Fox 29-5t will have a fiberglass end cap on back with no exposed metal bumper or exposed frame supports/rails to work with. Maybe someday I'll consider cutting through the fiberglass to make mods, but probably not for some time. I'll have to see how it's built underneath the cap.

I've ordered our 5er with lead acid batteries but I'm thinking about going to AGM to avoid fumes and fluid maintenance chores.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #12

The vent for the newer style gas cans is in the pour spout.....it SUCKS!.....I bored a hole in mine, at the top, opposite of pour spout, and inserted a tire valve stem, minus core, with cap....one can fish the valve stem into position with a coat hanger, then drag it thru gentle with pliers....
Old 07-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #13

These are awesome fuel can that do exactly what they say, I have 3 right now.

https://www.jerrycan.com/product-cat...el-jerry-cans/

The spouts they come with work well, depending on what you are trying to fill.

If you want non sealing spouts, Jerry Can Spout - Semi Flexible Spout For European NATO Style Jerry Cans
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, gas, generator