Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #15

Why not mount the licence plate next to the rt side stop/run light and pick up the the lic. plate light off the run light circuit. Simple.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #16

You could use the backup camera to mount your plate and use the power for the camera for the plate light, it might be powered by your running lights which would be better yet.

Just a thought
Dave
Old 03-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #17

Put in the back window
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Put in the back window
That an interesting and novel idea. Kudos for creative thinking.

I'm not sure how or if that would work, however. CA law says plates cannot be more than 5' above the ground. I haven't measured the window height yet but I think it may be higher than that. Plus, how would it be lighted? I don't see an easy way to do that. Not to mention it would block part of our view out the back. Still, it's worth considering.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varago View Post
You could use the backup camera to mount your plate and use the power for the camera for the plate light, it might be powered by your running lights which would be better yet.

Just a thought
Dave
That's creative thinking! Plates can't be more than 5' off the gound in CA, however. I'm not sure the camera has power unless the RV is in reverse. It might--I don't use the camera because 1) it is close to useless, 2) haven't found a place to put the monitor in the truck.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Why not mount the licence plate next to the rt side stop/run light and pick up the the lic. plate light off the run light circuit. Simple.

CLIFFORD
My first thought was to mount the plate either to the right or left as you suggest. That idea is simple enough, but implementing is doesn't seem at all simple to me.

I do not see any way to route the wiring behind the rear cap. It isn't accessible except for the bottom 12" or so. If routing the wires outside I'm not sure how I would attach them to the rear cap, at least not one that wouldn't be sloppy looking and/or require multiple holes to be drilled into the cap in order to support clamps to secure the wires. If I were to run the wiring outside I could use the existing circuit for the license plate.

I'd have to make holes in the rear cap which I'd rather avoid (but ultimately may turn outto be necessary).
Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Don't do anything they they would need to pull you over for and it wont be an issue. With your fifth wheel attached they can't see your truck license plate either and you aren't worried about that.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Don't do anything they they would need to pull you over for and it wont be an issue. With your fifth wheel attached they can't see your truck license plate either and you aren't worried about that.
x2 No different than when I'm towing my utility trailer on a two lane road. If they want to pull me over they would have to flash their lights.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Don't do anything they they would need to pull you over for and it wont be an issue.
I don't think you can gurantee that. It isn't true. If the rear plate is obscured by bikes, or a bike rack or bike cover that is reason enough for an officer to pull you over. It happens, and people are ticketed. It doesn't take but a quick Google to find out.

Quote:
With your fifth wheel attached they can't see your truck license plate either and you aren't worried about that.
That's a little silly, don't you think? There is no violation of law towing an RV that blocks the rear plate of the tow vehicle.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
I don't think you can gurantee that. It isn't true. If the rear plate is obscured by bikes, or a bike rack or bike cover that is reason enough for an officer to pull you over. It happens, and people are ticketed. It doesn't take but a quick Google to find out.

That's a little silly, don't you think? There is no violation of law towing an RV that blocks the rear plate of the tow vehicle.
You are correct. Watch any episode of the live police department show, and you will see at least one driver being pulled over for a license plate light not working.

Is there room to make a bracket to hold it to the frame under one of the tail lights?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
...Is there room to make a bracket to hold it to the frame under one of the tail lights?
No. In post 10 of this thread I put up photos. You can see there is no room under the tail lights. Were I to mount some sort of a frame on the rear cap it would probably have to be at the extreme right or left where routing wires to the light would have to be run on the outside of the RV.

So far I'm leaning toward some sort of system where a a license plate frame could be mounted on the bike carrier and another on the RV so that the plate could be easily moved from one to the other. Not sure how I would accomplish that, however. I'm thinking maybe a frame that is hinged and closes like a clam shell so I could pop the frame open, remove the plate and pop it into the other frame moving it easily back and forth between the RV and bike carrier. Each would need it's own light and I would have to have some way to secure the frames closed, perhaps a very small padlock.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #26

I just attached mine to my ladder .Never been hassled about at light.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I just attached mine to my ladder .Never been hassled about at light.
My wish for you is that you continue to live hassle free!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #28

My gosh Russ your beating yourself up. Just drill a couple holes to the left of the right tail light and mount the plate. Tap the tail light wire and go happily down the road.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel