Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #1

Help?? Stuck why is it so hard??

I am totally new to the RV world and lifestyle. I have decided to become a full timer.

You will all probably get a good laugh out of this because of all the newbie mistakes, but here's my quandry...

Early in my decision to move to a RV lifestyle I ran across a nearly brand spanking new Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel truck. It was mint, nearly everyting I thought I wanted and needed to be my tow vehicle and a steal. I bought it.

It is not a dually (I want a truck that is not a dually due to my hunting activities and places I sometimes need to get into), AND it has built in side tool boxes. I also thought it was a full sized bed (looked that way, but apparently in the RV world it is considered a short bed 6'4").

Now as I am trying to find a small (under 37') 5th wheel toy hauler I am finding out that this vehicle is not a good choices. I has a towing weight of 17,200 and a payload of 2450. That with the short bed apparently makes it a no-go for 5th wheelers.

Why is it so hard??

Before I bought it I had read several forums and it seemed that non-dually's could pull smaller 5th wheelers - but now I am getting the "I wouldn't do that" from the service managers at the places I have found some that interest me...

At this point I am guess that I am going to have to kill the 5th wheeler idea and go to a tow behind because I don't want to eat $10K trading in my 2500 just to get a dually for a 5th wheeler. The tow behinds don't have near the amenities I want or need though.

Yes I guess I just made my biggest and maybe first noobie mistake but why does this whole RV buying/finding thing have to be so damn hard?? Any other options or suggestions you more experienced folks have?
hunternomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 AM   #2

i pull a 45' cyclone 4200 with my 2011 2500 short bed with no problems
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #3

KZ RV Club
Take a look at KZ RV.
plomfgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternomad View Post
I am totally new to the RV world and lifestyle. I have decided to become a full timer.

You will all probably get a good laugh out of this because of all the newbie mistakes, but here's my quandry...

Early in my decision to move to a RV lifestyle I ran across a nearly brand spanking new Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel truck. It was mint, nearly everyting I thought I wanted and needed to be my tow vehicle and a steal. I bought it.

It is not a dually (I want a truck that is not a dually due to my hunting activities and places I sometimes need to get into), AND it has built in side tool boxes. I also thought it was a full sized bed (looked that way, but apparently in the RV world it is considered a short bed 6'4").

Now as I am trying to find a small (under 37') 5th wheel toy hauler I am finding out that this vehicle is not a good choices. I has a towing weight of 17,200 and a payload of 2450. That with the short bed apparently makes it a no-go for 5th wheelers.

Why is it so hard??

Before I bought it I had read several forums and it seemed that non-dually's could pull smaller 5th wheelers - but now I am getting the "I wouldn't do that" from the service managers at the places I have found some that interest me...

At this point I am guess that I am going to have to kill the 5th wheeler idea and go to a tow behind because I don't want to eat $10K trading in my 2500 just to get a dually for a 5th wheeler. The tow behinds don't have near the amenities I want or need though.

Yes I guess I just made my biggest and maybe first noobie mistake but why does this whole RV buying/finding thing have to be so damn hard?? Any other options or suggestions you more experienced folks have?
First mistake was getting a dodge! Sorry I to had to say that.[emoji6] I suggest looking at some shorter 5ers or lighter ones. Somewhere in the 11-12 thousand lbs gvwr empty weight around 8- 10 thousand. Also get a good auto slide hitch.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
The toy hauler thing will be the hardest part to find.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #6

I pull a 32' 5r with no issues ,
Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #7

We pulled a 35ft fifth wheel with a F250 SRD gas engine capable of pulling up to 15K lbs with a 4.30 rear end. Our 5th wheel weighed 12.5K empty and after we added all our travel stuff weighed about 14K lbs. we had no issues.
Maggiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #8

First mistake was getting a dodge! A complete false statement. Brand has noting to do with anything. I've been driving them for a long time and wouldn't have anything else. And I'm no about to tell someone here that the first mistake you made was getting a Ford or Chevy.

Step one. Stop listening to people and start reading the manual of your truck. Also look at the door label. Work with real number that are written.

I had several Dodge 2500's with short beds and pulled a lot of 5'er. Some very very big. You have a whole lot of truck. Make sure you look it over good and that all the maintenance is done. It will last a very long time and be a good vehicle if you keep it clean and maintained.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
First mistake was getting a dodge! A complete false statement. Brand has noting to do with anything. I've been driving them for a long time and wouldn't have anything else. And I'm no about to tell someone here that the first mistake you made was getting a Ford or Chevy.

Step one. Stop listening to people and start reading the manual of your truck. Also look at the door label. Work with real number that are written.

I had several Dodge 2500's with short beds and pulled a lot of 5'er. Some very very big. You have a whole lot of truck. Make sure you look it over good and that all the maintenance is done. It will last a very long time and be a good vehicle if you keep it clean and maintained.
Wow! It was a joke dude. Don't get your panties in a wad![emoji23]
Old 06-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #10

I'm not in a wad. It might have helped if you added "just kidding". Some people can be so brand loyal that they get absolutely raw about other brands. I'm not. Anyone can drive whatever they want and I'm cool with that.

He's got a very capable truck that will pull alot of rv's. Being single wheel, just keep an eye on your pin weights. Also look at your tires on the truck and make sure they are E rated and in good shape. Look at the date codes and verify the age. Take the spare down and look at it closely.

Also verify that whatever you get, you have the tools to change a trailer tire. The lug wrench from these trucks will not fit.

Also, for the OP, what exact year model did you get? The emission system and maintenance for them can vary by years.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to pull most late model mid range 5er's no problem> A toy hauler will be closer to your limit. Try to stay around the 12,000 lb GVRW range so your payload won't be so overloaded. I have a short bed and don't need a slider hitch but it is something to think about based on the rv design you decide on.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #12

If your truck has the built in tool boxes, watch the pin when you turn. They narrow the bed of the truck, and some pinboxes will hit the side. A possible solution for that is to use an Andersen hitch or Reese Goosebox, if there's an issue.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #13

All is not lost, that is a very nice a capable truck....not 42' toy hauler capable though.

Look at the Occupant / Cargo capacity as well as the GVWR. Get the truck weighed full fuel, tools, people etc. at a CAT scale at any truck stop. Subtract that weight from the GVWR of your truck. That is how much hitch and pin weight you can add.

Those Ram boxes are one of the best features Ram has. That and factory air suspension.

Oh, there is no shame in buying a travel trailer. There are some very nice toy hauler travel trailers too.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I'm not in a wad. It might have helped if you added "just kidding". Some people can be so brand loyal that they get absolutely raw about other brands. I'm not. Anyone can drive whatever they want and I'm cool with that.

He's got a very capable truck that will pull alot of rv's. Being single wheel, just keep an eye on your pin weights. Also look at your tires on the truck and make sure they are E rated and in good shape. Look at the date codes and verify the age. Take the spare down and look at it closely.

Also verify that whatever you get, you have the tools to change a trailer tire. The lug wrench from these trucks will not fit.

Also, for the OP, what exact year model did you get? The emission system and maintenance for them can vary by years.
I apologize for hurting your feeling this morning but if you had read my post instead of getting upset so fast you would have seen " I'm sorry" and the [emoji6] that I placed there. Just for you I will add " just kidding". Hope you feel better soon. Have a great day![emoji5]