Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #1

Help! Tow ratings for my fifth

Hey guys, so I’m having a hard time finding specific info on the requirements to tow my trailer... can you help please? I have found the basic info but I have no idea how to convert it to “pin” weight?.?.

I have a 1998 aerolite 27 ft by 8ft I believe. But tbh I’m having a hard time finding info, particularly parts info. I’ve noticed several sites have referenced Thor as the manufacturer but they appear to be made by Dutchmen now? Idk, I’m new, I apologize.

I want very much to buy a crew cab tundra, but idk if it will pull this thing. I looked at the diesels but man they are pricey and if you recall my situation that’s not ideal!
Tripp237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #2

You should have a couple of stickers or data plates listing manufacturer weight and tire pressures. The "GVWR" would be the rating for loaded weight. In your case, the "dry weight" from the manufacture specs looks like about 4700 pounds, so you have a good start for "half-ton" towing. If you don't load it heavily, figure maybe 1200-1500 lbs for gear, water, and propane, or 6200 lbs overall. If you end up with 20% of weight on the pin, that would be 1250. Add about 100 lb for the hitch, and you need 1350 payload capacity from the truck, and it will all be on rear axle, so you need the appropriate rear axle RAWR as well. Most of the half-tons with tow package (Tundra, Titan, F150, etc) should be able to handle this, especially if you aren't carrying a bunch of people/gear in the truck.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

That Aerolite was very light. As I recall it had no slideouts. You absolutely don't need a diesel to pull it.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
That Aerolite was very light. As I recall it had no slideouts. You absolutely don't need a diesel to pull it.

Yup zero slides
Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon59 View Post
You should have a couple of stickers or data plates listing manufacturer weight and tire pressures. The "GVWR" would be the rating for loaded weight. In your case, the "dry weight" from the manufacture specs looks like about 4700 pounds, so you have a good start for "half-ton" towing. If you don't load it heavily, figure maybe 1200-1500 lbs for gear, water, and propane, or 6200 lbs overall. If you end up with 20% of weight on the pin, that would be 1250. Add about 100 lb for the hitch, and you need 1350 payload capacity from the truck, and it will all be on rear axle, so you need the appropriate rear axle RAWR as well. Most of the half-tons with tow package (Tundra, Titan, F150, etc) should be able to handle this, especially if you aren't carrying a bunch of people/gear in the truck.

I was concerned that it would be to close to the max, and cause some issues.?.?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

Aerolite 5th wheel.....8' Series had 2 models the M-8527RBH (Rer Bunk House) and the M-8527RK (Rear Kitchen)

Both have a GVWR of 6400# and the dry weight to dry pin percentage is roughly 20% which would be close to 1280# IF one should load trailer to MAX weight
(Bunk House/UVW-4695# w/990 dry pin & Rear Kithen/UVW-4680# w/950 dry pin)

Aerolite 8 Series (8' wide trailers)
http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5093/1...lite-eight.pdf

Aerolite 7 Series (7' wide trailers)----REAL Light weight

http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5100/1...lite-seven.pdf

Dutchmen was acquired by THOR Industries in 1991
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp237 View Post
I was concerned that it would be to close to the max, and cause some issues.?.?
This would depend somewhat on your usage pattern. You really have two main limits, the rear axle weight and the total combined weight. The rig you see in my signature is 7200 lbs dry weight. With propane, tools, and gear (but minimal water in the tanks), I'm about 8200 lbs. My truck is not loaded down with many options, but with two of us we are still at the max rear axle weight. An electric brake controller and properly adjusted trailer brakes are critical for towing something this heavy. I have also added heavier tires (type LT) and air lift suspension to improve handling and capacity; but other weight limiting factors are the wheel bearings and spring/shock mounts.

If the axle weight and trailer brakes are good, then the other issue is the total weight you are moving, primarily a matter for steep hills. This is where the towing packages for pickups usually include more than just a hitch and light connector. A larger transmission cooler, lower geared rear axle, and maybe extendable mirrors should be included. If you expect to be towing on long mountain grades, or up steep roads, the extra cooler and axle ratio are important. There is a campground we go to sometimes that has a 15% grade portion in the entrance road; even though my truck is 1500 lbs below total capacity when towing my trailer, that road section is at the very limit of what it can do. If I didn't have the towing axle ratio, I don't think I could make it up even though the engine had the same 315HP.

With a crew cab truck, you would also have to watch out for clearance from the cab in turns and backing. The short-short beds are very much special case for 5th wheels needing special hitches ($$$); you want at least 6.5' bed (and still need to take care).
Old 08-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #8

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. Any idea where to find modal specific info? I need to buy some fan covers.?.?. I think that’s what they are called
Old 08-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp237 View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. Any idea where to find modal specific info? I need to buy some fan covers.?.?. I think that’s what they are called
Nearly all the parts in your trailer were made by one of a few suppliers who sell to a whole bunch of RV manufacturers. Even things like trailer frames are usually outsourced. So the trick is to find the actual part manufacturer and don't worry too much about the assembly company. The RV industry has a lot of churn, so it can be a challenge. Get measurements whenever you can to compare.

Amazon is a decent starting point. Lots of stuff is pretty standard. If you want to have "hands-on" look at the parts, you can try Camping World, but as you hit 20+ years old, you may have to do some adapting of newer parts.

Tags
tow